Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do they make a spray on sealer that I can spray on my old carb boots that will seal the cracks thus reducing my repair costs(way over budget on this "venture")

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The most common problem with cracked boots is that the material has become brittle with age. There isn't anything that can repair them when they start to crumble as far as I know.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I have "painted" them with black RTV before, and it has worked, but it's a very very very temporary thing. Eventually it will fail - and probably soon. Do it, see IF it helps, but don't plan on it being permanent.

Another cheap band-aid you can do for old carb boots is a wintergreen oil soak. Google it. It also may HELP you eek a bit more life out of them.

As Dods said, once they reach a certain point there's not much you can do. Replacement is best, but I certainly understand having to make budget repairs.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
testing testing always testing

how about a dunk in a hydrochloric acid or something?
Muratic acid? what kind of acid do you use on styrene pvc or what ever?

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
What would a new set of boots cost? I had a double boot setup on my 86 Shadow.

I like the idea of putting a coating on them as the folks have suggested so far. I agree it would only be a short-time fix.

Too bad you couldn't heat them in some way, and cause the rubber to mold together again.......

-Soupy

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
Just FYI, sealants are temporary because the boots are constantly flexing with the throttle changes. This flexing will quickly break up anything used to temporarily seal the cracks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts