Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read Sneidermans comment but could not reply as it's locked. He makes a good point, I know from experience. I passed 6 months ago and went out and bought an '03 Daytona 600. Awesome bike, scared the hell out of me, I was really pleased.

However, far too much power for a first bike and not a great ride to learn on; afterall, you are still learning even after you have managed to fool a driving examiner into believing you can ride.

I've since bought a '79 CB400 to restore and convert into a brat scrambler and immediately felt my riding come on. It's far more manouverable and I can throw it into corners much easier. Getting back on my Daytona now these improvements in my riding make it far more fun and far less stressful.

Don't be too keen to get that rocket and impress your mates, nobody will be impressed when they're visiting you in hospital. Anybody else have recommended rides for new riders?

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,671 Posts
We don't often get people who admit they got too much bike (probably because they don't want to return and bruise their ego even more). Thank you for sharing your story, and hopefully new riders will take it to heart.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The best first bike would be a 250cc most likely a ninja 250r, cbr250, hyosung gt250r, or honda rebel..

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went CBR250 based on a couple factors:

- I dig on the looks

- Fuel injected

- gauge cluster looked more high tech than the competition

- the reviews/write ups were all positive

Granted I don't have anything to compare the CBR to personally as this is my first bike however I always have a grin on my face after a ride.

·
Banned
1,269 Posts
I would recommend an '80's UJM <750, honda shadow, Ninja 250/500, yamaha FZ6, or mid 90's sport bikes.. Or something along those lines.

That would be a general suggestion for a new rider. If the rider has several years of dirt riding, then I don't think it's as important to avoid a bigger bike..

Education is by far more important than what bike you start out on. Taking a MSF class, and reading some books on the subject will be more valuable than starting on a small bike. You can kill yourself on a 250 just as easily as on a 700lb cruiser, or supersport. Inexperience is dangerous on any bike.

·
Banned
1,269 Posts
VERY true. Which is why its suggested starting out with a bike that has very forgiving and new-user friendsly charaistics.
I always chuckle quietly to myself, while cringing, when I see some guy (age is irrelevant..) looking to buy, or having recently purchased his new ________ (add any oversized, overpowered, supersport, bagger, tourer).

Last time, was a guy, early 20's, feeling like Rossi because he had purchased himself a new Triumph Daytona 675... :rolleyes: He is a friend of a friends, and I heard that after about three months of riding, he had managed to lowside the bike twice, as well as dropping it a time or two.. He managed to ruin the plastics, and what have you!! Moron. Even my friend (who only recently purchased his first bike, 71 triumph 750) tried to talk his friend out of buying the Daytona.. Well, that's a Squid for you...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Sportbikes have so many things going against them for noobs.

Most sportbikes in the US from like 1995 beyond are 600s and thus have 100+ HP. Not only that, that horsepower is delivered in an anti-noob way. They are hard as hell to deal with at low speeds as well, because of the ergonomics, and then god forbid you drop it, goodbye plastic.

Its a shame there are no cheap <100HP naked bikes. Even the Ninja 650R has expensive plastic. 250s are good to start, but not to buy into the cliche, after starting on a 650 I am glad I got that instead of a 250 or even 500. All that matters for a beginner is that they have a bike that is easy to maneuver w/a friendly power band, and that they don't ride like an idiot.

·
Master of Rex Kwon Do
1,058 Posts
Sportbikes have so many things going against them for noobs.

Most sportbikes in the US from like 1995 beyond are 600s and thus have 100+ HP. Not only that, that horsepower is delivered in an anti-noob way. They are hard as hell to deal with at low speeds as well, because of the ergonomics, and then god forbid you drop it, goodbye plastic.

Its a shame there are no cheap <100HP naked bikes. Even the Ninja 650R has expensive plastic. 250s are good to start, but not to buy into the cliche, after starting on a 650 I am glad I got that instead of a 250 or even 500. All that matters for a beginner is that they have a bike that is easy to maneuver w/a friendly power band, and that they don't ride like an idiot.
Most Buells are pretty close (newer ones are 100+) and Ducati makes a few naked bikes around 100hp (not very cheap). Right now you can get a old tuber (98-02 Buell) for $2-3k or an Xb (03-10 Buell) for $3-5k.

These generally aren't starter bikes, but they exist.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts