Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello im looking to replace my dyna with something sporty, something more useful on my daily freeway commute.
I love the comfort of the dyna but it lacks topend power, im considering a MT10 for its replacement.
Im looking for a bike that I can easily pass cars that speed up to block you from passing on a slower bike, but isn't a complete sportbike.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
'Im looking for a bike that I can easily pass cars that speed up to block you from passing'

I'd be careful with that, the perfect way to call out every last drop of roadrage in some.......you just turned it into a contest and the car always wins when it comes to mass.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
MT10 won't be good for what you want to do. Its got plenty of power and is plenty light, but its got no fairings so its inhospitable over 80mph and the discs between your vertebrae in your neck begin to compress at about 120mph from the wind blast. You need something with some sort of fairing. I would look at BMW S1000XR or Suzuki GSX-S1000F. Both are upright seating position but with a half fairing. You really need a fairing to diffuse the wind blast when you rocket off. Also, fairing bikes are faster at high speed due to the aero. My torque monster FZ09 feels like it hits a brick wall over 100mph, but my weak sauce 600 with fairings comes alive over 100mph.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MT10 won't be good for what you want to do. Its got plenty of power and is plenty light, but its got no fairings so its inhospitable over 80mph and the discs between your vertebrae in your neck begin to compress at about 120mph from the wind blast. You need something with some sort of fairing. I would look at BMW S1000XR or Suzuki GSX-S1000F. Both are upright seating position but with a half fairing. You really need a fairing to diffuse the wind blast when you rocket off. Also, fairing bikes are faster at high speed due to the aero. My torque monster FZ09 feels like it hits a brick wall over 100mph, but my weak sauce 600 with fairings comes alive over 100mph.
Ive seen the mt10 come with windshields, but I got your point ill start looking for less drag

·
Registered
Bordeaux Red 2021 Honda Rebel 1100 DCT
192 Posts
I wish, ive had it for 7yrs now and im done with cruisers for now. Gotta get something with a decent topend
You’ll be back. :ROFLMAO:

Sometimes you just need a change of pace. God knows I’ve had my share. I’d suggest looking for a sport tourer as well. They’re more ergonomically tolerable than sport bikes, but they still have plenty of zip, plus storage (or ability to easily add storage). And they’re still great for longer weekend jaunts in between the daily commutes, if you do that sort of thing.

Edit: Being a Honda guy myself, I figured I’d throw in a plug for the new NT1100. I can vouch for this motor - I’ve got the same one in a Rebel 1100, and it moves. I can also vouch for the DCT if that’s something that piques your interest.

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
425 Posts
I just watched a review on Youtube on the FJR 1300. (I was also curious if they still made it.) Anyway, I don't know if it would fit you needs, but it seems to be a pretty impressive machine.
Two very similar machines... the Kawasaki Concours 14 (still available, I believe) and the Triumph Trophy SE (not sure if it's still produced). Both are "old school" sport touring bikes: big, heavy, comfortable, and gobs of power. They have been pretty much replaced these days by ADV styled road bikes like the Versys, the Tracer, and the V-Strom.

·
Mod of the North
601 Posts
This. My first thought was the GSX-S 1000. Honestly pretty much any inline 4 is gonna do what you want. Some faring is gonna make life a lot nicer.

Take heed in AMC's advice, racing for position with cars usually ends up with the car using its size to back you off. Avoid those confrontations - you may be in the right but you are still just as dead.

·
Registered
171 Posts
As a proud owner of an FJR and an MT10, I can comment on both.

On the MT10, I spend half my time loving it and the other half thinking it's just too stupid fast for me. I get Annihilator's point but I do have the Puig windshield and I don't struggle with the aerodynamics unless I'm spending a long time on the Interstate. No trouble topping out because of wind. I've been tracking it a lot recently and at 140 I'm thinking about a lot of things other than wind.

But I would strongly recommend the FJR. It's still got lots more power and response than I can use on a highway. I have lots of FJR friends and we all talk about that "xxxx eating grin" when you wake her up above 7000 RPM. It's rock solid and probably one of the most dependable bikes out there. 100,000 miles is considered mid-life, which is why there are lots of used ones out there driving the price down. My 2007 has about 50K and I think she's more solid than my 2 year old MT10 at 5K because it's not as high-revving. They are still making it at least one more year it seems, but if you would ever consider a used one they are a steal for what you get. The only negative is they are a little top heavy.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've had mostly Honda's and Kawasaki's, if this was a decision I was making for myself, I'd be looking hard for one of those Concours 14. Same engine as the ZX14, just tuned a little different and able to carry more stuff.
There is very little difference between the FJR and the Concours, IMO. Both are good bikes. My friend's Concours is what got me looking at the FJR in the first place.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts