Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So l have never actually put tires on a street bike. Does anyone have an opinion on tires that would be good for my bike? 2004 SV650. Thanks

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
A lot of Sports Bike Riders I know swear by Michelin Pilots ..

·
Registered
886 Posts
I like Continental because of short warm up, good traction, less scrub in and a little better mileage than previous Dunlops. Cost a little more than others.

·
Premium Member
8,908 Posts
Tyres

Michelin Pilots are on my SV1000. I like the firmer center and soft sides part.
It was just enough to stiffen the suspension for me. They seem to be wearing okay and work in the rain.
I have not done any extreme lean angles. but I am sure they have good traction on the edges.

My next set will be Dunlops as I got a very good price on two.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Very easy, if you have the right tools.

A way to lift the front end that leaves the forks hanging free, a micrometer to measure the distance from the fork cap to the top triple, and Allen wrenches to loosen and then retighten the forks in the triple.

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
Depends what kind of riding you plan on doing. If you are commuting, The 2CT's are a good option. If you are trying to carve canyons, something more aggressive may be a better fit.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most of my riding is commuting, although l do plan to get out of town more this Summer. I can handle the bike, but l am nowhere near riding the bike to its limits.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very easy, if you have the right tools.

A way to lift the front end that leaves the forks hanging free, a micrometer to measure the distance from the fork cap to the top triple, and Allen wrenches to loosen and then retighten the forks in the triple.
What is the advantage of this? Does it make the bike handle better?

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
I think that 70s handle better, but the biggest advantage over 60s is that 70s offer a wider range of selection.

If you make the switch, you can wait until it's convenient for you to lower the bike (raise the forks) to account for the ride height difference. The handling will just be a little sluggish until you do, since the front end will be higher than intended.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think it mainly depends on your riding and the weather conditions you ride in. I ride every day so i don't like putting things into chance. I look at the weather everyday but there are unexpected days where the rain just starts coming down out of no where. For this reason I have always gone with tires that are designed to maximize wet grip. I have been running Bridgestone Battleax s20 for over a year now and I love them. Amazing wet-grip and traction on the road - only downside is they wear out real quick due to the soft rubber. So if you ride hard and do hard launches you will go through them fairly quick.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Most people here around here in GA are on either Michelin or Continental which are great street tires for both summer and rainy conditions with some slippery roads. Based on experience, Conti last longer.

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
I ran Pirelli's on my BMW's but Avon is another good choice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I like Sport Touring tires. Most are very good, and i'm not at race track form.
Generally I shop for tires on sale. Last year this time got a set of Dunlop Roadsmart IIs on close out. Won't last as long as Pilot roads but I got the pair under $200 on closeout. Self mounted. Very happy with them.
Had Pirelli Sport tires before, disappointed in miles they lasted for the price.
Bridgestones before that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts