Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
18,651 Posts
Most bikes can. It all depends on how much you can tolerate. I couldn't be in that position 5 minutes. The bike can surely do it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I can tolerate 75 miles at a time and then I have to get off for a while. But then again I'm over 40 riding one. Mostly my knees are the problem.

·
Driftless Rider
1,486 Posts
I've ridden with guys that can do more miles on sportbikes than most can on cruisers and tourers. It has a lot to do with your preferences. I can do about 30 minutes on a rocket before I start to feel it in my shoulders and neck. I have a friend with an R1 that can only do about the same amount of time on my Vic until he complains of his butt getting sore.
As long as we stay on our own scoots, we can do 300+ miles per day quite easily.

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
I can ride about 2 hours on a Ninja 650....
Then i surely need a good 15 minute break....
I do have 2 Butt Buffers on my seat tho....
That makes a big difference....
I can do this a whole day easily.....
I've spend 10 hour days on the bike taking short breaks....

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I rode 225 miles to my parents' house on my SV. It hurt for the last hour. On the way home, same thing. Basically, 2 hours and it is no longer comfortable whatsoever. I'm selling mine and either buying an adventure bike or a sport-tourer

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've ridden with guys that can do more miles on sportbikes than most can on cruisers and tourers. It has a lot to do with your preferences. I can do about 30 minutes on a rocket before I start to feel it in my shoulders and neck. I have a friend with an R1 that can only do about the same amount of time on my Vic until he complains of his butt getting sore.
As long as we stay on our own scoots, we can do 300+ miles per day quite easily.
Nice one bro👍

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
What part of u hurt?
Mine was always my ass.....
Now with the double butt buffers my ass is fine....
My lower back and hips, mainly...and my elbow, from the pressure on my hands. My right foot also kept falling asleep. Mostly, though, it was just super annoying that you are stuck in that position with no options to shift.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Like Cruise Control in a car, making my frequent trips from CT to FL a WHOLE lot more endurable, (I LOVE "Cruise Control, obviously. It really DOES help in reducing the stress of driving), I had it on this second motorcycle. It was a VistaCruise style locking mechanism.

I took it off however, after reaching up to disengage it, and accidentally hitting the Kill Switch at highway speeds, and the bike went totally dead, and I didn't immediately know "why."

That said, I believe Cruise Control, in the right configuration, can be a contributor to longevity on a trip.

Yes, the stronger the bike (motor) and the more plus's the bike has (like a windshield, seating position, foot pads as opposed to foot pegs, cruise control, etc) make a world of difference as to how long you can ride comfortably and enjoyably.

Your physical condition also is a biggy. "Eye" took a passing blow at me recently, about my "epic 50 mile journey" and I get it............but you can only do what your body allows, and you MUST listen to your body!! If you don't you are asking for trouble and it's risky enough on a bike! My "limit" these days, is about 150 miles one way, and that's with at LEAST two stops, (gas, bathroom, food, cigarette, rest).

I took a trip from mid-State CT, to Alton Bay, New Hampshire (typically a four hour ride by car or motorcycle; some 280 miles one way) once, and back again the next day. That was on a 500cc Cruiser, with no windshield and foot pegs. I'd NOT make that trip again under the same conditions and bike, if you PAID me to do it!!

You can have the best bike for the trip, and be in the best shape possible, and STILL have trouble. Other things come into play........like the weather; other drivers; level of traffic, the road itself, available services (gas, food, overnight accommodations, etc).

-Soupy

·
Registered
533 Posts
I am not a sport biker.

But I credit my 80 mile (round trip) commute to endurance in the saddle.
When I first start the season it is common to find myself pained (neck and lower back) at the end of the day. But by the second week or so, I don't notice it at all.

I did 200 plus miles last Friday just goofing around, half two up. And never further than 50 miles from the house.

The more you ride, the more you can ride.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts