Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was about as perfect a riding day as could ever be imagined. And although I had to stick around the house early in the day waiting for a repairman for my a/c unit, I did get out for about 4 hours of riding in the afternoon. 80 degrees and blue skies, little wind and being a Wednesday, light traffic on the country roads that I went on. As I was riding I had to admit that although for most of my riding life I thought Honda Goldwing's were just too big and expensive to consider, now that I own one I find I would likely never go back to a smaller and less comfortable bike. It would very hard to give up cruise control that I find I use all the time. Not only does it keep my right hand from cramping, it keeps me from going faster than I intend to and thereby avoiding a big dollar speeding ticket. Listening to satellite radio through the four speakers is now just normal riding and I know I would hate to go back to a bike with no audio. The built in GPS navigation and road maps on the screen has also become something I am used to and would hate to give up. Self canceling turn signals, super comfy seat, excellent wind protection from the fairing, and roomy locked luggage for when I stop and don't want to drag along my jacket, helmet and gloves all have become my new normal. And while I do not think I would want to ever give up manual gear shifting for the degree of control that it offers, the power of the Wing's 6-cylinder engine lets me ride along for long period of time without having to change gears. I could probably leave it in 4th gear for speeds of 30 up to 110 without a problem, and it is nice to not have to be constantly shifting gears yet have the ability to shift when I want to. Going back to a bare bones cruiser now would probably be hard for me to do since the Goldwing has so spoiled me. And for those of you out there that have thought about a Wing but thought it was too expensive, since the new 2018 Goldwing came out it seems prices on older Wings have dropped significantly. Try one and you might never want to go back to anything else.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,670 Posts
You forgot "this has been a paid add by the American Honda Motorcycle Corporation" :smile_big:

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only wish they would pay me! Maybe I should offer to tour the country, extolling the praises of Hondas, all in return for a new bike, travel expenses and a reasonable stipend for my precious time. How could refuse such a deal. Seriously, I have owned a number of Honda motorcycles during my over 30 years of riding, and while I had few problems with my Kawasaki or my various Triumph bikes, I have had virtually no problems ever with my Hondas. So far, the Goldwing is two years old with almost 16,000 miles on it and the only reason I have had it in for service has been regular oil changes, new tires and various mods and gadgets added, not a single mechanical or other issue. And nothing makes me feel better than a good ride on a nice day.

Reactions: Porky

·
So long
2,739 Posts
...Going back to a bare bones cruiser now would probably be hard for me to do since the Goldwing has so spoiled me. And for those of you out there that have thought about a Wing but thought it was too expensive, since the new 2018 Goldwing came out it seems prices on older Wings have dropped significantly. Try one and you might never want to go back to anything else.
No thanks, Vito. All the creature comforts you cite are the reasons why I have a car.

I gave up on heavy bikes 5 years ago. My current ride weighs less than 500 lbs, plenty fast and comfortable enough.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I gave up on heavy bikes 5 years ago. My current ride weighs less than 500 lbs, plenty fast and comfortable enough.[/QUOTE]

What are you riding now? While I love the Goldwing, and enjoy the totally different experience from being in a car, as I age the weight of this bike (about 920 pounds) is something that I know I will not be able to handle too far into the future. Right now my "bike of choice" were I to give up on the Goldwing, would be a Honda CB1100 which I had a chance to demo ride recently. Not all the goodies of a Goldwing, but as close to the UJM of yesteryear as I know exists, and only about 500 pounds.

Reactions: Porky

·
So long
2,739 Posts
... What are you riding now? ...
I ride a BMW K1200R Sport.

I planned to eventually trade it for a K1300S, but BMW dropped that model. :plain: I find the K1600GT too heavy :sad: For my next bike I'd consider a BMW R1200RS or maybe a Ducati Supersport if they could boost the horsepower and torque just a bit.

I see a CB1100 at the local brewery from time to time. Nice bike.

·
On The Road Again!
4,352 Posts
As I was riding I had to admit that although for most of my riding life I thought Honda Goldwing's were just too big and expensive to consider, now that I own one I find I would likely never go back to a smaller and less comfortable bike.
I know the feeling, Vito, I KNOW the feeling!
I just LOVE my 1500!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts