Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

I just bought my first motorcycle in the State (I'm originally from France). I've ridden my entire life, mostly dirt bike (raced for 4 years), sportbikes, and supermoto.
I just purchased a 1983 CB1000 Custom (that i'm converting into a bobber) and cannot find any info online on how this "split transmission" works... Mostly, how do you shift this thing!???
I understand you have the regular 1 down and the rest up on one shifter but what does the other shift do? when do you use it?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi guys!

I just bought my first motorcycle in the State (I'm originally from France). I've ridden my entire life, mostly dirt bike (raced for 4 years), sportbikes, and supermoto.
I just purchased a 1983 CB1000 Custom (that i'm converting into a bobber) and cannot find any info online on how this "split transmission" works... Mostly, how do you shift this thing!???
I understand you have the regular 1 down and the rest up on one shifter but what does the other shift do? when do you use it?

Thanks a lot!
Got me beat,posting up from New Zealand and apart from 4 wheel farm bikes we have never had bikes here with "split transmisson".At a guess i can only assume the split transmisson is a high and low ratio thing which seems weird on a road bike.Be interesting to read the answer to your question....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Slapper - I only got the term "split transmission" from another thread on this forum where the owner of the same bike I have mentioned it. I looked it up but couldn't find anything. I'll research high and low ratio gearing/transmission/shifting etc etc

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's What I've red on a forum:

"The shifting is pretty straight forward. The regular shifter (1-5) is in the normal place and works like any rice burner (1 down & the rest up).

The splitter (or sub-transmission - as Honda calls it) works like a Harley rocker style shifter, and is located left side, behind and slightly higher than the regular shifter.

Mine's been in the garage for a couple of years, but if I remember right, it works like this: rocker down for street/low range gears and rock it back/front up for highway gears."

Seems pretty straight forward!
I've also read it is better to "choose" high or low gear when the bike is stopped and on neutral... in other words, make up your mind before you start riding!

I am now thinking about making a hand shifter for this high-low shifter...! We'll see how that goes

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just keep it in 5-10 high gears and you will be fine. Usually for cruzing, this split tranny was actually built ahead of it's time. Low ratio in higher gears.

I have a CB900 bobber project going on right now and at first found it was a little akward when first riding it.
Once you get use to it, its no big deal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts