Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got new tires for my 2013 Triumph Thunderbird 1600 (at 10,000 miles) and replaced the stock Metzler 880's with Michelin Commander 2, front and back. They seem to ride well, and feel the same (to me) as the Metzlers did, but since the Commander 2 does not come in a OEM size 50 rear, I have the 55. The bike sits up a tad higher which I must admit I do not even notice, but what I did notice is that the speedometer, which always has been about 5% over true speed (per my Garmin GPS), with the new tires it now reads spot on. Interesting and nice change that I was not expecting.

·
American Legion Rider
23,542 Posts
See! I've been tellin' ya those Commanders are good.:D It took 8k miles before I started feeling a little bit of movement on tar snakes too. And the things still look like new. I wish they came in a white wall though.:thumbsdown:

·
8,575 Posts
Vito, I've had that happen on a few bikes with a larger diameter tire--cool!:)

The day that I bought a new Sportster and a 2010 Triumph Scrambler for my Son, from the same dealer, I rode off on the Sportster and my Son rode his soon to be Triumph as we test drove the bikes around a nice curvy area in the country. When we got back to the dealer he said: "Dad, you were sure going fast around those corners and straights!" I knew I wasn't but when I test rode the Triumph I saw that the speedo was set to Kilometers per hour!:biggrin:

Sam:wink:

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Not a motorcycle, but I had that experience this summer when I put new tires on my old VW Bus. The speedometer was off 7mph at highway speeds, but now is within 2 with the correct tires on it. What a difference something like that can make!

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like an accurate speedometer just to keep me out of trouble, but as I get older I find that less and less often do I just have a burning desire for SPEED. Sometimes on a quiet country road where I have good visibility, and therefore less worry that a tractor, or cow will jump out at me, or that I will encounter a hidden Trooper, I like to crank up the bike for a short burst. Sometimes hitting thiple digits, but not too often. But most of my riding I just keep up with traffic, or if alone, pretty much keep it to the posted speed limit plus 5.

But back to this thread.... Although my old tires were probably good for another few thousand miles, I like the feel and security of new rubber on the road. Riding is my hobby/passion so I let myself indulge in some spending that otherwise I might not do.

·
American Legion Rider
23,542 Posts
Not to mention you only have two so keeping them good is wise in and of it's self.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts