Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This should be dead simple

Changed speedo cables when I was much younger and had even less experience and it was no problem, dead simple

This bike of mine, the Honda CG125 (1998 w) - problem 1 is that the part that attaches to the wheel hub is round and the hole it goes in to isn't quite round - tried shaving a bit off the side and got it part of the way in, but nowhere near far enough to get the screw in to stop it falling out

Then I moved to the tacho end, the old cable is stuck fast in there, it turns no problem but will not come out - yanking on it with pliers is doing nothing - sprayed TT (WD) oil in - will try again tomorrow

I'm not missing anything really simple am I?

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Most modern Hondas use a speedo cable that installs like this:

The top of the cable has a threaded sleeve that screws onto the speedometer panel.

The bottom of the cable pushes into the sender (on the hub) and is held in place with a philips head screw. If the screw is already in the hole, the cable can't be pushed in... so make sure the screw is removed, then push the cable into the hub sender, then secure it with the retaining screw.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
brute force dragged the old cable out in the end - turns out the cable wasn't broken and replacing it didn't fix the problem. I notice that when I lined the cable up at the hub end, the spindle was always in the same position - if it was turning as it should, then it would be in different positions after moving the bike wouldn't it? I replaced the brake shoes on the front, could it be I didn't put the hub on properly?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It works now with new drive gear in, but the needle seems to take a long time to drop - gunked up, corroded? Is it advisable to mess with it?

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
It works now with new drive gear in, but the needle seems to take a long time to drop - gunked up, corroded? Is it advisable to mess with it?
It could be something gummed up in the mechanism. If it's easy to open the case, a visual inspection might be a good idea to see if there's something obvious.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It started to work perfectly, for a couple of days (70 - 90 mile days as courier) then stopped suddenly - think I heard something from the front hub when I slowed down after noticing it - time for a digital one I think - thanks anyway

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just went to take the wheel off to confirm another drive gear done. before I got there found the blade that turns the cable was snapped

1 - 14 of 14 Posts