Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wallet - I actually set off cross country without it one time...
Cellphone & charger, cable
Sunglasses
Earplugs
Windscreen cleaner fluid (actually eyeglass cleaner, from WalMart)
Microfiber or Scrubby Sponge
Sunscreen, Chapstick
Magic Marker (for making signs, like HELP or NEED GAS!!!)
Pen and Paper --- always trading names & #'s
Extra bungee
Owner's Manual for bike, headset, ...
Registration, Proof of Insurance now on Geico App

Longer trips

Frozen Water bottles
Paperback book
Towel of some sort (per Hitchhiker's Guide...)
Camera
Ipad + keyboard
Shave kit
Gold Bond, Dr. Scholls, MonkeyButt or other medicated powder for
feet and ass

·
What?
865 Posts
I always carry a spare clutch cable, a plug kit, spare fuses, cellphone, and a set of plugs.

Still need a CO2 kit to inflate a flat if I ever get one, tools for clutch cable replacement a 10mm and 12mm socket along with a flat head, and a 13/16 socket for plugs. But my bag is already heavy.

Don't carry registration, cops can see if it is valid when they run the plate. Insurance is on the cellphone.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a tip. C02 kits require practice. Do it for the first time out on the road with only one cylinder and you're just going to increase the local air pressure a bit.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,315 Posts
You don't need markers for signs, put your helmet on the ground behind your bike. It is a distress signal.

Don't know what you guys that don't wear a helmet do...... :)

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
....Don't carry registration, cops can see if it is valid when they run the plate. Insurance is on the cellphone.
I don't think they can enforce it on visitors, but in Michigan we're required to carry registration paper and proof of insurance.

They might let us use phone for PoI now but I don't know.

·
What?
865 Posts
I don't think they can enforce it on visitors, but in Michigan we're required to carry registration paper and proof of insurance.

They might let us use phone for PoI now but I don't know.
It's required here in Florida as well as Virginia, but both times I got pulled I didn't have it and didn't get a ticket for not having it. It's a risk I take, it doesn't fit in my wallet and I swap jackets or don't wear it enough that I usually forgot to change it over.

Also, on my ninja, the under seat access isn't accessible without taking a fairing off due to the lock being tight as hell and the KZ doesn't have weather tight storage.

I guess I could put it in my bag, but I don't always carry that either.

But really, they run the plate and my name, address, make, and model come up. My license has my name and picture as well as address on it. My sticker says I am current as well. I never understood the need for the paper as well. I have never been pulled and not had my plate and license ran.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
my hard bags have a nice little zippered pouch inside the top for registration and insurance card.....I just need to remember to change insurance cards when I get new ones lol

otherwise, I don't have a checklist of things to take with me...then again, I don't ride for hundreds of miles at a time either....sometimes I even leave my phone at home

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
It isn't about information. It's about compliance. Intimidation. Making you rifle through your glovebox or wallet or pannier, or whatever.
Or because the law requiring you carry your registration and license was written before they had DMV computers and the cops had no way to check.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The registration card is not required in Illinois, but the insurance card is. I carry my insurance card in my wallet.

The last time I was pulled over, (quite a while ago, knock on wood) they didn't even ask for proof of insurance. They were more interested in if I had the proper license for operating a motorcycle, and seemed disappointed when I did.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I have a keyring for each bike, each keyring has a little wallet attached, perfect size for registration and proof of insurance.

And yes they still ask for those things even though it is on the computer, and if I dropped my insurance it is reported to the state immediately.....by computer.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
Yep the law was written before they had computers to check with,
Yep it's still a law so they still ask,
I believe they can check if PoI is valid?

OH...z9nine...do your clutch cables go bad so often that you need to carry a spare?

·
What?
865 Posts
I suppose if you're in an accident you'll need to show your registration to the other driver. I'm sure the other driver doesn't have LEO computer access.
You don't talk to the other driver until the cops are on the scene, even then your insurance company recommends not interacting with them. If I am in an accident, no matter how minor, I am calling the cops. In my experience, the first thing an insurance company is going to ask for is a police report.

Plus, the whole sticker on the plate thing comes into play.

·
What?
865 Posts
Yep the law was written before they had computers to check with,
Yep it's still a law so they still ask,
I believe they can check if PoI is valid?

OH...z9nine...do your clutch cables go bad so often that you need to carry a spare?
No, but I have been out riding twice and had them snap on me. Two different bikes. Luckily, both times I was either real close to home or a shop to get a new one.

The first time, I had to ride around 3 miles through traffic with no clutch. Every stop light I had to stall my bike to stop. To get going, put it in first and hit the starter to roll start it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts