Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I'm a new ish rider and I'm on my second bike (2006 Yamaha V-star Classic) And after replacing the plugs, about 2k miles later I pull out the plug and it doesn't look pristine. I'm by no means a mechanic and was hoping I could get some input on it. Bike has about 7228 miles, and yes I ride the ever living hell out of it as much as I can. She's also been making a whirring sound on start-up, 1st - 3rd gear, and 5th gear only above 70 mph. She also has been giving me weak start ups.
Here's the link to the picture. tinypic.com/r/2vs0uj9/8
Any advice / input is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'm Throwing vance & hines short shots on her come next pay check along with a new oil / filter / plug change. If anyone has experience in re jetting or advice I would also appreciate that as well.

Thanks so much!

·
American Legion Rider Staff Administrator
27,440 Posts
Yup, that is one lean running machine. If it doesn't already have an aftermarket muffler, you are definitely going to have to change the fuel delivery when you change to V and H. If fact it needs it now.

The whirring sound could just be the fuel pump and are hearing it now that you are used to the other sounds. But can you more pin point where that is coming from? Might not want to make any changes until you know exactly what it is and if it truly is normal. You might mask a potential problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your replies, how would any of you go about fixing this? I'm assuming I should clean the carb, clean the air filter/ replace / rejet or install new jet / go to mechanic and get valves adjusted, after I have replaced oil sparks etc etc

·
Gone
23,903 Posts
The first and easiest thing to do is eliminate the possibility of an air leak causing too much air to enter the fuel mixture. Start the engine and carefully spray some carb cleaner around any suspect areas such as vacuum lines and the intake boots. Anywhere there may be a split rubber section that needs replacement. If the engine revs up while spraying the cleaner, that means air is getting sucked in where it shouldn't be, changing the mixture.

Check to make sure the air filter is clean, seals properly, and is undamaged.

Carefully cleaning the carb would be the next step. If the fuel passages are clogged a bit, fuel flow may be hindered slightly, causing a lean condition.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The first and easiest thing to do is eliminate the possibility of an air leak causing too much air to enter the fuel mixture. Start the engine and carefully spray some carb cleaner around any suspect areas such as vacuum lines and the intake boots. Anywhere there may be a split rubber section that needs replacement. If the engine revs up while spraying the cleaner, that means air is getting sucked in where it shouldn't be, changing the mixture.

Check to make sure the air filter is clean, seals properly, and is undamaged.

Carefully cleaning the carb would be the next step. If the fuel passages are clogged a bit, fuel flow may be hindered slightly, causing a lean condition.

Upon further inspection I have found some cracking in the pipes (forgive for not knowing what they're called. I'm assuming air intake to carb pipes.) And I also pulled out the air filter, which I am definitely replacing once the part comes in to a K & N filter. Below are some photos of the cracks. I'm guessing I need to have these replaced immediately and are the main / one reason for my problems.

tinypic.com/r/i5rj2d/8
tinypic.com/r/bfhzeo/8
tinypic.com/r/1fec5x/8
tinypic.com/r/eqqdnd/8

·
Premium Member
5,918 Posts
Those would be the boots; the carbs fit into one end, the other end bolts to the intake port of the engine. Yes, they need replacing, as those cracks are very likely the source of your lean condition.

You can attempt a temporary repair, filling the cracks with black RTV, or a flexible epoxy made for auto bumper covers, just to see if it runs better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.