Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Yamaha virago 535 and the front cylinder doesn’t heat up as fast as the back one and when it’s ticking over if I take the ht lead off the spark plug (front cylinder)the bike stays ticking over but runs off the back one but if i do it the other way round and take the back one off the bike will turn off, anyone know what’s wrong with it?

·
Visionary
5,405 Posts
Balance the carbs. check or change the plugs. see if that helps.

·
American Legion Rider
26,362 Posts
Do you have enough spark-plug wire to swap front to rear and vice versa? If not at the cylinders then the coil or whatever that bike has as I'm not familiar with it enough to know. Or any for that matter.:grin: Just trying to see if the problem switches or stays the same to help isolate the problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you saying it's not firing at all on the front cylinder?
It’s firing I done a spark test and it’s fine but it’s like it’s running on 1 and 1/2 cylinders instead of its full potential, I took the ht lead off it and it actually stayed ticking over but you could hear it was only using the back cylinder plug it back on and you can hear that the front cylinder starts working but it’s like the back one is working a lot more that the front

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have enough spark-plug wire to swap front to rear and vice versa? If not at the cylinders then the coil or whatever that bike has as I'm not familiar with it enough to know. Or any for that matter.
Just trying to see if the problem switches or stays the same to help isolate the problem.
It doesn’t reach each other but I see what you mean I’ll see if the coil needs tighting up to get a better connection or take them off and swap them, but when I did a spark test it was a good spark thanks ??

·
Ace Tuner
3,736 Posts
Balance the carbs. check or change the plugs. see if that helps.
I agree with this ^

Then / also, a bad plug cap can let a spark plug give a spark when outside the cylinder but under compression inside the cylinder it will not fire.
Aftermarket plug caps don't cost much and would be a cheap way to eliminate that possibility.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a Yamaha virago 535 and the front cylinder doesn’t heat up as fast as the back one and when it’s ticking over if I take the ht lead off the spark plug (front cylinder)the bike stays ticking over but runs off the back one but if i do it the other way round and take the back one off the bike will turn off, anyone know what’s wrong with it?

I am not familial with this model but suggest
to check valve clearance, carb throttle matching
may be cylinder is not getting proper charge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Biker
1,637 Posts
Something tells me this issue just started and that it has more to do with ignition than carbs.
Virago's are a fine bike my brother has a 95 Virago 1100, very little trouble with that bike.
If it is not too big a job, could you swap coils, have the rear coil now work the front cylinder?

if it goes the way I think it could, front cyl. will heat up the way the rear was, meaning it is
not the cylinder or plug but rather the coil. It is probably hard to imagine one coil could get
weak and not fire as good as it was. maybe you have an old coil around that you know is
good, try it. if plug is not firing well, it will of course result in a cooler cyl, but if the coil is
good then you'll get some good spark even if you can't see it. Everyone thinks a coil will
last forever as it has no working parts, but you can get arc-over and when that happens,
the spark jumps over an awful lot of windings that make the Hi-voltage, meaning those
windings are NOT working to produce the right voltage to jump the plug and it seems you
would be able to know if it is firing either as good as it should be or not at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.