Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my spare parts department. Let me explain. I am on an Island so going to the bike shop or scrap yard is a big event. For my 006 bike I have to plan ahead, and buy stuff when I am on the mainland.
For my older Yamahas i keep a spare engine for the 400, and an engine, frame with forks, rear end and some electrical pieces for the XS11.

I was checking the ignition on the 400. Previous twit glued the gasket to the engine, so it ripped when I removed the cover. Where I am going to get a gasket real quick? Lets check the spare engine. What luck, a good gasket that was easy to remove.

Was checking the battery on the XS11. Had it on charge, put it back in. The dash lights ( red for alternator, green for neutral ) came on. The key was off.
Spent some time checking the key switch, no problem. The positive wyre goes to a solenoid, called the starter button in the book. I suspected something went wrong with it. Where am I going to get a new solenoid today. Lets check the spare bike. What luck, it has a good looking solenoid. Installed it in Yami, and he is working again.

I just love the spare parts department. And I like to have a spare bike running and ready for action, just in case.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
...........................I like to have a spare bike running and ready for action, just in case.........Unkle Crusty*
I dunno if this was something that I learned in the Military, or my OCD Father........but I too like to always have a backup to everything!

Toothpaste, toilet paper, coffee........you name it.....I make sure there is another of the same thing around (even guitars), "just in case."

When we start talking about items that need our attention (you can buy a back up tube of toothpaste and leave it on the shelf for YEARS without issue, if you wanted), like a motorcycle, or guitar, or car, (something that has to be run, taken out, moved, etc), then too much of a good thing might not be such a good idea.

I wouldn't want a case where I had half a dozen bikes (for example) and end up not giving them equal time "on the road" as it were. Just from the point of view that using (running) them, is better for them than letting them sit.

I'm not suggesting at all, that your posting indicated that you would let the spare bike "sit." Just making a general observation for the sake of the discussion, is all.

-Soupy

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
This has got me thinking about my Uncle Jim...l am going to veer off topic a bit, l hope no one cares.

My Mom grew up on a farm and her two older brothers, Bill and Jim, were really into fixing stuff. They worked on the farm equipment and did the maintenance on the tractor, Granddad's truck, whatever they could find that needed a wrench. The neighbor had a 1931 Model A that he couldn't keep running, and the boys were always fixing it for him. Finally he told them if they could get it running, they could have it. An hour later they drove it home.

Well, Uncle Bill didn't really want to share a car with Uncle Jim, so he sold his half of the Model A to Uncle Jim for $7.50. Uncle Jim was 12 at the time. He still had a little bit of money left (most of it he had earned fifty cents at a time for getting the car running for the neighbor), and it needed a new grill, so he rode his bike to the junkyard.

Well, he didn't find a grill, but he did find a great fender for a '36 Ford, and he knew a man that needed one, and who also owned several Model A's. He figured maybe if he showed up with a fender he could go home with a grill. He found a few other parts that looked worth owning, got it all for 75 cents and rode it home on his bike, threw it in the barn, went and traded the fender for the grill, and went to bed that night an auto parts collector/trader.

Over the years he was always finding deals. Sometimes he would just buy a car for the motor, pull it out and junk the rest. Other times he would buy a parts car when he didn't even own the project car, just because he knew he might like to have one someday. Little by little he amassed a great collection of parts.

Such a great collection, in fact, that one day he came across a 1935 Ford roadster frame for $50 and thought, "Hmmmmmm....l think l might have everything else l would need to build this car!" Sure enough, his barn overflowed with the parts necessary. The day after he retired he set about with his project, and about a year and a half later it was complete. All told, he determined that he had a total of about $300 into it. And he still has a spare of just about anything it could ever need.

I saw him a year ago, and he was working on his newest project, a 1966 Buick Skylark, the 4th or 5th one that he has done over the years. He actually had two parts cars for it from previous projects. I asked him how much he paid for it...he said, "$125 and a cord of wood." That's my kind of bartering :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts