Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my hearing surgery I was told not to ride for 6 weeks because I needed to heal completely, I said ya right and then my back went Wally World so I didn't ride again for 6 weeks till yesterday, sure shot the hell outa my summer riding plans.
Today I finally finished mounting the Tombstone backrest bag I bought a while ago to help with my back problems on longer rides. I don't know what they were thinking when they designed this thing, it's a great storage bag and easy to get to, but the backrest pad feels like its filled with a block of wood and the bead that runs around the edge feels like it a 1/4 inch dia wire and cuts into your spine, very uncomfortable. so I guess I will have to make a custom pad. The thing has three different thickness pads for longer length adjustment, but the bag is already too long and makes the rider sit too forward and I had to remove the back pad from the sissy bar to get it in the right location. I thought it was just that my bike had a short rider area but I watched an advertisement video from Kuryakyn and it fit that bike the same as mine. I would send it back but I'v had it for 6 weeks and did some minor cutting when mounting it.

Now about my hearing, I didn't realize how dangerous riding and driving was being almost totally deaf until I got most of my hearing back.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Sounds like a successful surgery! So glad to hear that you can hear again. ;) Congratulations Muggs. Sorry to hear about your back. I hope it's better and wasn't caused by anything major.

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
They can restore hearing with surgery, now?

When did that happen? o_O

·
8,613 Posts
Congrat's on the hearing restoration, maybe someday soon medical innovation will lead to the 'Fountain of youth' and we can lead healthier lives:biggrin:

I bought one of those Backrest bags but mine isn't a 'hard' type bag like your, it is soft leather and starts out being maybe 1 ft wide by 3 inches thick by 24 inches tall but by the time it is unzipped and full, including all of the many storage pockets, the thing is bigger around than I am!:wink: It also mounts to a backrest.

Enjoy the riding you have left until the weather turns.:)

We should be riding here until the end/ middle of October.:p

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
American Legion Rider
23,689 Posts
Great to see you back Muggs. You have to take care of that back even more when you get up in the older age bracket. Couple of rides might help ya know.:D

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Nuth'n will lay you up quicker than a bad back. Hope it mends quickly!

Glad the hearing procedure was a success. Now you'll have to employ the secret of 'selective hearing'. :biggrin:

·
American Legion Rider
23,689 Posts
Nuth'n will lay you up quicker than a bad back. Hope it mends quickly!

Glad the hearing procedure was a success. Now you'll have to employ the secret of 'selective hearing'. :biggrin:
I wish I could do that. I try so hard to listen the minute someone speaks that it's a habit that I have trouble stopping. Most people only listen a fraction of the time but I'm near 100%. High school teacher drummed into me how important listening skills were. Now I'm cursed with it. My wife on the other hand has no trouble at all tuning me out. Reading on the other hand, not so much.:D Scan scan scan.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
My back has crushed packets between L4 & L5. I have recently switched to a new bike that has a very definitive curve to the seat, which offers much more support to that region of my back.

I've been amazed how the right seat, can make such a difference in how much my back can handle.

It is amazing to me, but I am walking better, and feel less leg numbness and have less suffering, since I swithed.

-Soupy

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I rode 200 non stop miles except for gas
today and had a great time, and that tells me I can do long rides again, so now I got to set up a ride with friends before winter sets in. The problem I have is arthritis, it don't get better and I never know when it will put me down. I'm functional I just cant stay in one position for very long, so I ride when I don't hurt too bad.
Kaptian K Yes they can depending on why you are deaf I had a cochlear implant, this will restore hearing if the problem is the hair like things in your Cochlea have been destroyed by loud noise or maybe being born with a problem. It's been around for 25 years but has been improved a bunch. Right now you wont know I have a hearing problem in most situations, this thing has put a big smile on my face.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A couple pictures from today

Behind the sign is where I was born in a long gone Pope and Talbot saw mill Co hospital

This is a 90 year old motel on highway 101 on Hood Canal Washington. A cool ride in more than one way, Today was hot in The Seattle area, but riding along Hood Canal was more like 70, very nice.
Today was a great day, all buy my self just ridin.

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
I rode 200 non stop miles except for gas
today and had a great time, and that tells me I can do long rides again, so now I got to set up a ride with friends before winter sets in. The problem I have is arthritis, it don't get better and I never know when it will put me down. I'm functional I just cant stay in one position for very long, so I ride when I don't hurt too bad.
Kaptian K Yes they can depending on why you are deaf I had a cochlear implant, this will restore hearing if the problem is the hair like things in your Cochlea have been destroyed by loud noise or maybe being born with a problem. It's been around for 25 years but has been improved a bunch. Right now you wont know I have a hearing problem in most situations, this thing has put a big smile on my face.
Huh...interesting. And here, all my school teachers and such told me "TURN DOWN THAT MUSIC! ONCE YOUR HEARING IS GONE, IT'S GONE!" Ironically, yelling louder than the guy on the radio...

Seriously, though, I've always kinda been careful about my hearing. I wear earplugs at work, even though I don't have to, because some of the noises are irritating ( like a metal cart full of more metal clanking around on wheels that are probably made by the same b*****d that makes the wheels for Walmart carts ). For that matter, some are irritating even WITH plugs in. I don't know how my coworkers go without....

Anyway, glad to hear your surgery was a rousing success. Congratulations. :) And may the sound of a motorcycle engine be music to your ears for millions of miles to come. \m/

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Keep using hearing protection, this thing is much better than being deaf, but normal hearing is much better. You wouldn't like the sound of what I hear. The thump thump of my motorcycle sounds like the pocka pocka sound from the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang car.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Beautiful pics Muggs. Thanks for sharing. Washington and Oregon are 2 states I haven't been to but absolutely want to see.

So glad you are feeling better and hearing better.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Nice pics, yeah, but that 90 year old hotel looks like a dive. At least they could spring for some new tiles. They have moss and $hit growing all over the roof.

·
American Legion Rider
23,689 Posts
Same here billo. It's the ONLY time I'm not in pain.

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
A couple pictures from today

Behind the sign is where I was born in a long gone Pope and Talbot saw mill Co hospital

This is a 90 year old motel on highway 101 on Hood Canal Washington. A cool ride in more than one way, Today was hot in The Seattle area, but riding along Hood Canal was more like 70, very nice.
Today was a great day, all buy my self just ridin.
That awkward moment when the MOTORCYCLE is the most expensive looking object in the picture XD

1 - 20 of 20 Posts