Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up, everybody?

I just recently joined this forum as a guide for purchasing my first bike. I've been thinking of getting one for the past few years and started saving a couple of months back. I am 6' 4, 190 pounds, and looking for a cheap cruiser I can learn on. I've been looking at the Honda Shadow, but i'm open to more recommendations. Also, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all your help!

-Mark

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
The shadow is a good motorcycle. Make sure it fits comfortably before buying. Some modifications can be done as well if you have the cash and/or know-how.

Sent from my Z667G using Tapatalk

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,544 Posts
I would also recommend taking the Basic Riders Course, check with your state's DMV

and

·
Ace Tuner
3,559 Posts
Soon-to-be Rider! What to look for / Any Advice?

Look for Cars, Trucks and other traffic!

Yes, the best advice I can give you is:
You are invisible on the bike! As in no one in a car can see you. (Except the police for some reason).
Always be thinking about where you'll go when that car at the intersection pulls out in front of you.
You will think you made eye contact with them so they must see you. They do not see you!

You are INVISIBLE on the bike, ride like you know it to be true.
Continuously scan for an escape route for when the cage driver does not see you, The Invisible Rider.

Bikes, I'm kind of a Yamaha fan. A V Star 1100 would make a fair enough starter bike.
The 650 V Star costs less but would probably be too small for you at 6' 4".
Happy Hunting, Ride Safe.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
No cheap cruiser comes to mind. On the other hand you already have some good advice, take the basic training before you decide anything. After the training my wife decided to just ride on the back of my bike because she didn't really enjoy driving one. It happens way too often.
As far as specific bikes, any newish bike by almost any manufacturer will be fairly dependable so take a walk through the used part of your local multi-brand dealer and sit on any bike that appeals to you. Fit is a very personal thing and no way you can tell anything just by looking at any bike. As far as people who decide too late that they are not riders, look at the miles on those used bikes. I have seen 4 year old bikes with under 2000 miles on them in my local showroom.
Another thing for you to consider is this guy's advice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvYM2Z0usMg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the replys! They are greatly appreciated. I'm pretty sure a shadow is going to be my first, but I still have about 6 months to decide, so i'll keep doing my research.

Also, thanks OldMan47 for the video link. Very informative!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I really like my 1982 kawasaki 440, My first was a 1974 honda xl350 enduro. they both aren't the biggest or fastest or fanciest haha but they ran good and got me to work on alot less gas than my truck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts