Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen this? Why would he be caught dead on anything but a Harley, especially with his history with them. What does this say about Harley or Victory for that matter????

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,671 Posts
Maybe its because he realized that Harleys are nothing more than US-designed bikes with parts manufactured overseas? Or maybe because HD's main claim to fame is it's name? Perhaps its because he discovered that Victories are superior in just about every way to a HD?

·
Registered
68 Posts
THE Book says . . . .

On page 53 of the book entitled: "Hell's Angel, The Life and Times of Sonny Barger and the Hell's Angels Motorcycle Club," by "Sonny" Barger with Keith and Kent Zimmerman, Mr. Barger states that the Angels began riding H-Ds because back in the day, ". . . . they didn't have much choice. In 1957, it was either ride a Harley or settle for a Triumph or a BSA."

He goes on to write, "In pure terms of workmanship, personally I don't like Harleys. I ride them because I'm in the club, and that's the image, but if I could I would seriously consider riding a Honda ST1100 or a BMW. We really missed the boat not switching over to the Japanese models when they began building bigger bikes."

Who ever said ya' can't find interesting books for .25 cents at garage sales?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Victory actually makes an amazing bike. My husband has talked to Sonny a couple of different times about his bike (which is all blacked-out and looks badass) and he absolutely loves it.

The only Victory that looks futuristic to me is the Vision, and now they have the Cross Country & Cross Roads baggers that don't have that futuristic look.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has anyone seen this? Why would he be caught dead on anything but a Harley, especially with his history with them. What does this say about Harley or Victory for that matter????
I have seen photos of him on his Victory. Heard he logged over 30,000 miles on it in one year.

·
Sickle Punk
964 Posts
I've read his book, and based on what he wrote on the book I am hardly surprised. He really really really doesn't like the motor company, he went into the early reasons for HAMC and their loyalty to harley. namely cheap used police bikes they bought, and chopped. He even threatened to go japaneese, purely out of spite.

Also, Sony Barger didn't create the biker image for Harley. Harley created the image based on Sony Barger and HAMC to sell things. Something Sony never liked.

Victory is an American motorcycle, Arleen Ness designs them. I'm surprised it took him this long....

·
Registered
3 Posts
@2lane I heard the same thing about him logging 30K+ miles on it. It's not a rumor, I heard it from the dealer he got the bike from.

Victory also has a higher percentage of American made parts than Harley. I can't remember the exact numbers but it's something like 15% more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've read his book, and based on what he wrote on the book I am hardly surprised. He really really really doesn't like the motor company, he went into the early reasons for HAMC and their loyalty to harley. namely cheap used police bikes they bought, and chopped. He even threatened to go japaneese, purely out of spite.

Also, Sony Barger didn't create the biker image for Harley. Harley created the image based on Sony Barger and HAMC to sell things. Something Sony never liked.

Victory is an American motorcycle, Arleen Ness designs them. I'm surprised it took him this long....

Great point. I read that Harley would try to build bikes to copy what Sonny, HAMC, Arlen Ness and a lot of other riders were doing to their rides. I can see why he would despise them. There's nothing original about that. At least the Victory doesn't look like another copycat.

·
Sickle Punk
964 Posts
Great point. I read that Harley would try to build bikes to copy what Sonny, HAMC, Arlen Ness and a lot of other riders were doing to their rides. I can see why he would despise them. There's nothing original about that. At least the Victory doesn't look like another copycat.
real kicker. Arlen ness designs bikes for victory now...

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Actually the various rolling customs are usually gleaned from back yard mechanics. Willey G himself admitted a large part of his eventual designs came from innovations he would see at all ther various rallies he attends.

·
Sickle Punk
964 Posts
Are you saying that's a bad thing? Is it the same when you provide the design inspiration versus some corporation copying what you do? I actually think that's admirable.
absolutely not. I'm just saying its a bit of a kick in the pants to HD motor company. Maybe a bit deserved though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts