Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was a beautiful, almost fall day here in northern Illinois. Blue skies, cool temps, and with folks mostly at work not a lot of vehicles out on the road. I went out for what turned into a two hour ride, and part of that ride turned out just perfectly. Illinois Highway 2 from Rockford to Byron, and on to Oregon is a curvy two lane running (mostly) right along side the Rock River. While it has a 55 mph speed limit, truck and commuter traffic usually limit you to a much slower speed.

But yesterday I had the 15 mile stretch from Byron north to Rockford totally to myself. Keeping up 65 to 70 mph it felt great sweeping through the curves and moving down the straight sections. I never once had to slow down or be bothered by a single car, truck or by other motorcycles (sometimes the bikers are the slowest of all, doing a leisurely 50 mph and taking in the scenery). My ride made me think of riding the roads used for the Isle of Mann TT, even if I was only riding at half the racing speed of the TT.

As I reached the traffic light where the road reaches Rockford, and I had to return to reality, I was really pumped! Rides like this don't happen too often, but when they do they make me think that this is about as good as it gets, and I am truly glad to be alive at that moment. And I was riding two up, and my wife as passenger enjoyed the ride almost as much as I did. What a great day!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
We have several nice roads that weekday afternoons don't see much car traffic. Bad thing about summer is hs kids are out playing NASCAR on some the good roads.

Yesterday was nice, but a little cool until later when I had to work, today supposed to be nice about 11am, that will give me a couple hrs riding time. Tomorrow I'm off and its supposed to be even better.

·
Super Moderator
2,070 Posts
Was in your neighborhood last June for the AMA Superbikes at Road America. Beautiful. OH, and the state troopers blue Harley's are spectacular.

·
Left. No, the other left.
209 Posts
I got on a crowded train yesterday (and today) to and from work.
Your ride sounds much much better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts