Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a full season (not quite over yet of course) of riding again, after nine years without a bike, I'm reminded of a simple fact that we all know..........

It's WORK to "ride!" Your whole body is engaged. You're "busy" on a bike, from the moment you gear up and get on it, to the moment you stop it, and throw the kickstand down.

If you ride as "I" do, virtually every day, (no "weekend warrior" I) the "bike" becomes a tool like the "cage" was/is.

The "fun" factor, and the "love" for riding a motorcycle hasn't gone away, but there are times when I'm THANKFUL that it is raining, so that I have an opportunity to get in the truck for the day.

It's not that we don't stay "engaged" when we drive our four-wheeled vehicles, but rather that we have more "hands-free" moments for that sip of coffee, picking our noses, scratching our #$% or whatever.

It doesn't depend on "rain" however, to put me back on four wheels from time to time. Yesterday, all the weatherpersons said their "will be clouds, but no rain," and they were right. I COULD have ridden; but didn't.

In some ways, because of the potential hazard factor with motorcycles, I find myself, although NOT superstitious, "knocking on wood" when I find that I have gone thru a riding season (or most of it anyway) without trouble.

From a physical standpoint, my "bad back" has actually toughened up some this year. I have perhaps, found the solution to back trouble, by strengthening my back muscles by riding, to compensate for the Arthritis that is there. Ain't "ole age" grand?! (lol)

-Soupy

·
Registered
699 Posts
Soupy, so many of your posts contain reasons not to ride, and indications that you don't enjoy it, that I sometimes wonder why you do. This is not criticism, I am all about riding your own ride, whether that is everyday or twice a year. I just wonder if you realize how much you talk about reasons not to ride, and if you might want to have an honest conversation with yourself. Either way, be happy, dude, and stay safe!

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
Actually Soupy, I understand what you are saying. I know you have a lot of times when you are forced to drive the truck too when you would rather be riding. Also, giving your bones a rest sometimes makes you feel guilty afterward for not riding, but that shouldn't bother you.

My bike is my main form of transportation, I have only put 1,000 miles on my truck so far this year and a lot of those miles were only because the weather guessers have no idea how to use the billions of dollars of tax payer funded satellites and computers they sit in front of.

The thing is, if you love to ride, but for some reason you don't feel like it, you won't enjoy it and you may even find yourself not giving it the attention it requires. I hate rain, but it's a necessary evil, just wish it would come at night when it doesn't matter to me.

When you ride, just be sure to enjoy it, otherwise it just becomes routine and that would not be fun.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I ride whenever I can, and its always fun, its never been a chore to go out on the bike. And yes there have been times I've been in a car because the weather experts have had extreme difficulty this year in giving a forecast for only a couple hrs in the future.

But I have also failed to make an accurate forecast for only an hour into the future.........it was the Kawasaki jinx everytime I pulled it out it rained.

I just came home for lunch and heading back out now......bye

·
Registered
42 Posts
I like Soupy ride almost every day to work. Living in AZ we get very little rain except for this week.
In summer my ride to work is great, riding home is HELL. In winter, ride to work is a bit chilly, 45 degrees, riding home is great....75 degrees. However it is nice for a change to be able to take the truck, and stop and pick up some coffee, or something.

When you ride for transportation it does take some "fun" out of the ride, but when you are going to work, the fun ends quickly.

Most riders ride weekends and bike nites, therefore always enjoyable. I miss my dual sport bike, but can still hit the trails in air conditioned comfort in my truck.

·
Registered
943 Posts
As a retired person, "to and from work" is a thing of the past but as a head-strong person who has reached the age of I-don't-give-a-rat's-behind, I drive whatever I feel like. Of course I am a bit of a nut case and enjoyed riding in all kinds of weather (except hail - that HURTS!) :p

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Soupy, so many of your posts contain reasons not to ride, and indications that you don't enjoy it, that I sometimes wonder why you do...............
Like any Forum on any topic, we get our share of "newbies" and "Wannabe's" who come in and ask about all sorts of things.

I think it is important to be "real" with them, so they get the full picture of "life on a bike." They are bombarded with TONS of advertisements about the joys of riding, and I believe they should also know what OTHER elements there are to riding.

Sure, we want to encourage them. It's a great recreation to ride a motorcycle, and it has benefits, but we also want them (at least "I" do) to see clearly what they are getting into.

That's why there are so many Threads about the hassles. At least as much as there are Threads and Posts about the good stuff that comes with being a motorcyclist. Not just started or contributed to by "me," but also others.

I WILL say, that in almost every Thread or Posting I do, I try and take as much of a balanced approach to my thought, as I can.

-Soupy

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Everyone should ride their own ride. From this an other forums it is clear that there are some folks who see riding in bad weather, like heavy rain or extreme cold, as a badge of authenticity to show themselves as true "bikers". There are those who obviously feel the measure of a man is how many miles he can put in on his bike in a 24 hour period. And of course we have the almost non-riders who go from home to the bar and home again, a total of just a few miles, a half-dozen times a year but enough to think of themselves as serious motorcyclists.

For me, riding is for pleasure, escapism, and a way to enjoy being out in the elements. I typically ride for about 6 months of the year, give or take a month or even two some years, and do about 6,000 miles a year. If its so hot that the wind feels like a blast furnace, or so cold that even with my heavy gloves my fingers start to freeze or if its just so gray and gloomy out that taking a ride doesn't seem like fun, then I leave the bike in the garage. But some days, like earlier this week, the sky was blue, the temps in the low '70's, and with my wife as passenger I headed out north from Rockford to some great riding roads in central Wisconsin. I put in about 6 hours of riding with lunch in the middle of the day. For me, this is what motorcycling is all about.

Most days, when the weather is good, an hour or an hour and a half of riding on nice country roads is enough for me to feel good and not tired. A longer trip of several hours once a week or so and I am in riding heaven. I daydream about taking a two or three week trip on the bike, but keep putting it off because frankly, I worry that I might find that it just tiring and not fun, so right now its better as a daydream than as reality.

But as I started this post, ride your own ride. You don't have to prove anything to anyone but yourself.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
..............For me, riding is for pleasure, escapism, and a way to enjoy being out in the elements. I typically ride for about 6 months of the year, give or take a month or even two some years, and do about 6,000 miles a year...........But some days, like earlier this week, the sky was blue, the temps in the low '70's................For me, this is what motorcycling is all about.
Ditto!

-soupy

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Today here in northwestern Illinois was a good example. It was 50 degrees, overcast, and windy. Maybe 50 degrees in the middle of the winter would seem great, but today it just felt cold and damp. I didn't even think about taking the motorcycle out for a ride. But just because I did not ride, it doesn't lessen my love of motorcycling or my own self identification as a rider.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I think because I only get to ride to work about ten percent of the time and am limited mostly to weekend rides, I (perhaps) appreciate the opportunity to ride when I can and (sort of) embrace the weather.

Generally, if it's 35 degrees and not getting colder, I want to ride. I will not risk ice. If it is absolutely assured of rain, I ain't riding. In almost all other circumstances, I want to ride, if possible.

If I had no choice but to ride, I would probably feel different about it. I understand the difference and certainly think those who rely mostly on their bikes have a much different perspective.

:71baldboy:

·
American Legion Rider
20,011 Posts
I actually don't mind riding in rain, even though that's what I wrecked in. That was totally my fault. But what I don't care for is getting in and out of my place. 3 1/2 miles of gravel with grey slime mixed with mud is not fun. If it stops raining for three hours it's passable(barely) but what a mess!

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I have a friend who lives at the end of 10 miles of gravel and dirt. He keeps his bike is a storage locker in town with asphalt roads. If I had to ride 3 miles of gravel every time I wanted to go riding, I probably would trade in my bike for something with 4 wheels.

·
American Legion Rider
20,011 Posts
You can stay in a shell or come out and live. Your choice vito. I as well as others choose to take everything on head on. But I do understand the risk you talk about. You just have to accept it or quit really living but just exist.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
It has been another great year!!

Two trips to Colorado, one trip to Minnesota (starting point Milwaukee, WI)
FOUR Iron Butt rides completed this year.

100's of miles ridden in the rain, hit one deer in Iowa and tipped over on a trail in Colorado.

I wouldn't change a thing! WOW! What an adventure!

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
i came off on the first rainy ride
Came off the bike? or came off from a ride?

I agree, sometimes I don't mind driving my cage, I might not be in the right mood or frame of mind some days. Sometimes just because it hasn't been driven in a while.
Although I usually don't mind rain on my way home, I'm not a big fan of riding to work in it if I don't have to.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts