Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, once ago someone tried to steal my bike, after seeing that it had an Ulock in the front wheel, the thief dropped the bike since stealing it was difficult, after that, sometimes its near impossible to shift neutral, I dont think the shift level is bad, probably some internal part got damaged? Actually nothing is smooth, not big deal, but as I said, sometimes its impossible to shift neutral, is that fixable? thanks.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Ouch! If your clutch is cable operated I would check the adjustment - the controls might have gotten bent a bit when it was dropped.

·
Premium Member
5,800 Posts
And if you clutch is hydraulic, it could have gulped some air into the lines, requiring a good bleeding. NBD, the fluid should be replaced every 2 years, anyway.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any help? yamaha fz1 2005, my left foot hurts because now its freaking hard that sometimes shifter wont move a millimeter, not only neutral. I could not find cable problems, but I read that these bikes have a design failure there in the cluth chamber, that it looses a screw or cap and remain there making a malfunction operation, will take off someday the cover and see if thats my case, now anyways the bike is very hard and annoying to ride, hope to get more advices if someone please can, thanks.

·
Aging & Worn
4,547 Posts
I can’t recall a bike I’ve owned, that DIDN’T require a little “tender” (my word, not yours) touch, when shifting into neutral.

I wish the bikes I owned WERE a bit more definitive, in their feel, when shifting into Neutral!

The Royal Enfield, for example: forget about getting it into Neutral upshifting from First Gear. I can only get it there (and it takes a NUMBER of tries), from Second Gear!! Pain in the ARSE!!

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
If you are at the end of a ride(versus an intersection) you might try killing the engine, then see if it will go into neutral easier. Some are weird that way but generally means they are just slightly out of adjustment. Sometimes full synthetic oil helps too. It sure did on my 07 Electra Glide.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah guys but now this is completely ridiculous, super dooper hard that sometimes lever will absolutely not move anyway, specially with neutral, surelly that thing happen once the bike was dropped, the mentioned oil cap in the clutch chamber can easily lost position and make these type of problem, surely that happen with the violent movement of the bike when it falls out, so the fix for many have been to open the enclosure, find the oil cap and replace it with instant glue, I dont know if this piece mecanically blocks other parts or it simple mess a correct oil flow, need to discover cause Im tire of this.

·
Ace Tuner
3,772 Posts
the thief dropped the bike since stealing it was difficult, after that, sometimes its near impossible to shift neutral, ........... is that fixable? thanks.
Yes, anything can be fixed.

.......... hard that sometimes shifter wont move a millimeter, not only neutral. ........ but I read that these bikes have a design failure there in the cluth chamber, that it looses a screw or cap and remain there making a malfunction operation,
No "design failure" safeguard in the clutch, or under the clutch cover.

You didn't say if the bike fell on the left side or right side.
I'm guessing it fell on the left side. If so...
The shift linkage, shift lever and footpeg all have to be in good condition for that bike (2001~2005 FZ1) to shift gears properly.
Of the parts listed, something is probably bent and/or in a bind. Most likely the adjustable link that goes thru the frame is rubbing against something because some part is bent, bashed or otherwise not right.

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
I thought it was just me being tired. I don't get it either.
There are times I do not respond to posts, as they do not make any sense. This is one of them.
If the OP could provide some degree of useful info, it would be so much easier to perhaps offer a solution/
The shift forks could be bent by a lead foot rider. I do not know if it has a cable or is an hydraulic activated clutch.

Notice an instead of a. An is used in front of words beginning with a vowel, and one exception, words beginning with an h, because of the British habit of making the h silent, like the p in swimming. However this was changed about five years ago, and the modern way is. A hydraulic.

I have no idea what is wrong with the bike. It requires an inspection by someone with mechanical experience. Remember the broken casing in front of the drive sprocket.

UK

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,521 Posts
Some new spam bot, or maybe he started drunk posting?

Anyway, I had a zx600 and a ex500 that both shifted hard after a hard ride if it was due for oil. Side note: I don't use the clutch much and I still suspect my slightly bending the shifter fork on those bikes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
One more thing I forgot to mention, is that once the bike is turned off, it is super smooth to shift neutral, very very very soft, hope this new data help to judge whats the cause of this, english is my second language, sorry if it can sound weird in certain lines. Thank you.

·
Ace Tuner
3,772 Posts
One more thing I forgot to mention, is that once the bike is turned off, it is super smooth to shift neutral, very very very soft, hope this new data help to judge whats the cause of this, english is my second language, sorry if it can sound weird in certain lines. Thank you.
Well that changes everything.

So now I gotta ask.
What side did the bike get dropped on, or was it both sides?
Did the bike get dropped off a flat bed truck going down the freeway at 70 MPH, from a helicopter at 1000 feet or what?
Can you see any damage from the"drop"? If so where and what type of damage?
Did the shifting problem start after the "drop" or was it acting up previously?
Does the clutch lever have about 10 mm of freeplay measured at the ball on the end of the lever. If no, how much does it have if any?
Five ~ six questions I can think of to ask. What can you add beyond those questions? :plain:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The bike has been dropped three times, first one at the left side when somebody tried to stealth it, second time at the right, one car did not see it parked it and dropped, I was furious hehe, third time was my fault, it was idleing, and I pushed the gear level instead of brake, I was trying to check the brake light, maybe this position made me confused about the side, bike dropped into the left side. The problem started after second drop, but it when getting worse and worse, so now its impossible to neutral when bike is on, there are some aesthetic damage, but nothing like very critic. About the clutch lever free play, do you mean that lever that I touch with my left hand?

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
Please explain me, I have no bit of idea, was not helpful my previous message?:sad:
One. The bike shifts okay when the engine is not running.

Two. English is not your first language.

When I post a message, if you look to the left, it will tell you where I am. It might help if you altered your profile and told us where you are. Does not have to be actual address. The city or state is close enough.

Semi has asked the other questions.

UK

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One. The bike shifts okay when the engine is not running.

Two. English is not your first language.

When I post a message, if you look to the left, it will tell you where I am. It might help if you altered your profile and told us where you are. Does not have to be actual address. The city or state is close enough.

Semi has asked the other questions.

UK
I still dont get why would you need to know where I am, im in california however :nerd:. I tried as much as I could to reply those questions that semi asked, its just that I did not get clear that one about measuring the clutch free play, I supposed that referred to that cable near my left hand. I continued my research and its most and most probably that I will be one of those guys who were affected by a falling piece inside the clutch chamber (oil cap) will order a gasket and later see whats inside. :surprise: however more ideas and advices are of course welcome, my left foot will thank you, the pain was unstoppable once I tried really hard, after that I understood I should forget about shifting neutral, fortunately all other gears are pretty accesible, not so smooth, specially the first ones, but can handle them. Thanks so much.

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
Freeplay is how much the lever moves BEFORE it actually starts to pull the clutch cable. Not how much it wiggles but you might think of it that way. But wiggle is more or less the up and down motion where freeplay is actual clutch being pulled direction. The gap or slack before it starts to pull. Your owners manual will describe it better and show you graphically. That is if you have one.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts