Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today while out for a ride on a beautiful summer day, a bike was coming toward me that looked, from a distance, very odd. At first I thought it might be some type of new trike. But as it got closer I saw that it was a Harley tourer (not sure which model) with huge soft saddlebags hanging on each side of the front fairing. I guess that adds a good deal of storage capability to the hard bags and trunk, but it would seem to be something that would seriously affect the steering of the bike. I must admit I never saw someone with this setup before but don't think I'm about to try it for myself anytime soon.

·
On The Road Again!
4,644 Posts
I agree. That has GOT affect the handling.
I did an experiment once where I mounted a 3 foot length of aluminum tubing to the handlebars of my Honda Trail 90, sticking straight forward. Then I mounted my tiny video camera on the end of the pole looking back at me. The camera only weighs less than half a pound. Wow! That stupid arrangement made the bike handle VERY badly. Something about the inertia of a half pound of weight swinging back and forth at the end of that three foot pole made it very difficult to keep the bike in a straight line.
I can only imagine how much those saddlebags affected that bike that you saw.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.