Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someday I'll have to quit skiing down mountains and motorcycling over high mountain passes and wide deserts....someday.... but not yet, not quite yet!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That doesn't look like the Columbia River gorge but shares some of its characteristics. Where is that Jack?
Highway 50, "The Loneliest Road in America." My wife and I this summer rode from Washington State to Lake Tahoe, and then took Highway 50 across Nevada, Utah, Colorado. Kansas, Missouri..... only left it somewhere near St. Louis..... I think that's somewhere near Monarch Pass. Wonderful road, wonderful ride.....

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
We have only been on 50 thru Missouri and Kansas. It looks like it gets a lot more scenic further west. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Don't mean to brag about my true home where my blood bleeds blue and orange, but Colorado is where Route 50 starts getting gorgeous!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't mean to brag about my true home where my blood bleeds blue and orange, but Colorado is where Route 50 starts getting gorgeous!
I've been over a lot of passes on a lot of bikes, Beartooth, White Pass, Chinook, South Pass, Togwotee, Susten, Firka, Grimsel, Oberalp, Sella, Stelvio...... but Monarch Pass, elevation 11,312 feet (3,448 m), in Colorado..... Monarch ranks right up there, folks, right up there!

Before you die, ride over Monarch, Togwotee, Beartooth, Oberalp, and Stelvio, and then, my friends, you shall die a happy man or woman....trust me.....

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Thus far Beartooth is my favorite of all of the ones in the U.S. that we have been over. There are still a few that we have yet to ride over. I'll probably never make it to any outside the states though.

·
American Legion Rider
20,004 Posts
Secondary roads usually don't have anything saying what "pass" they are but locals know them. Been over many but have no idea of their names.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
I carry my Atlas everywhere with me and it shows almost all "passes". I have planned many of our routes to include as many passes as I can. When we rode out west in 2012 I noticed that most now have signs. Even Rabbit Ears Pass had a sign, you had to know where to look to see them, but there was a sign. Some signs are small and easily missed if you aren't looking for them.

One pass I have yet to ride over is Lolo Pass in Idaho. I have heard that road is absolutely beautiful. One of these days we will be able to take long trips again.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Thus far Beartooth is my favorite of all of the ones in the U.S. that we have been over. There are still a few that we have yet to ride over. I'll probably never make it to any outside the states though.
MONI, you need to relax and look around. The US is like visiting maybe 30 European countries, so saying you have ridden all of the right places in the US is a big accomplishment. I have spent some time in the French and Swiss alps along with drives through parts of Lichtenstein, Belgium, Northern Italy, the bavarian part of Germany and Austria. What I saw there was much like I saw in and around the rockies except that I was the only one who spoke english. I am somewhat fluent in French and can get by in German so I enjoy my time there. If you really want to experience Europe, it is not as expensive as you might think. So far I have been there 3 times for maybe $1500 per person each time, including a vehicle rental and air fare. No I did not rent a bike but I bet the costs would have been close. European car rentals are anything but cheap.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
When I leave the USA I normally want to go to an island and stay on the beach. Places I would like to go to are Australia, The Phillipines, Switzerland and the Alps and I really want to go back to Jamaica. I have been to a few other countries but there is just too much of this wonderful country of ours that I still want to see.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts