Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

Registered
NRA Life Member
Just got home from a PG ride to the Springdale, Ark. Community Center. Was there to pay our respects to all the victims on 9/11, to our Military, Police, Firemen, all first responders. And there was a bagpipe band there.

(First ride with the Patriot Guards since I got over the corona virus back in January.)

馃憢....(Clapping Hands), as a thank you and much respect for you to take your time to do so, and show your respect.!!(y)

Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
Back in the late 1980's, during my last active duty assignment, I lived on post at Ft. Sam Houston, TX in San Antonio. Our house was facing the big parade field (where cavalry practice would take place in the old days) and some nights you would see a lone bagpipe player out in the field, playing. He as a British liaison officer to the Army's Health Services Command and was quite proficient. It was a true pleasure to hear him playing, and almost a magical experience in the early evening darkness to hear that sound coming from the center of this huge field. Good memories. It takes real skill to play the pipes well, and I admire your son for seeking this skill.

Registered
2009 HD superglide FXD.
Back in the late 1980's, during my last active duty assignment, I lived on post at Ft. Sam Houston, TX in San Antonio. Our house was facing the big parade field (where cavalry practice would take place in the old days) and some nights you would see a lone bagpipe player out in the field, playing. He as a British liaison officer to the Army's Health Services Command and was quite proficient. It was a true pleasure to hear him playing, and almost a magical experience in the early evening darkness to hear that sound coming from the center of this huge field. Good memories. It takes real skill to play the pipes well, and I admire your son for seeking this skill.
its airforce out there right? In Orlando, we would run int britt marines and submarine guys.

Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The funerals I attend for the American Legion or PGR where bagpipes are part of the service, do seem to get a little more emotional than others for some reason. I commend your son for doing something different Lori. In my high school days, that would lead to a fight after school most days. Hope that's not the case for your son. My fists hurt just thinking about the number of fights I got in. It was a rough school to say the least and all I played was a trumpet.
He was homeschooled and graduated last year at 17. Without a doubt we made the right decision there, but he didn't get any practice dealing with the juvenile ruffians of the world, other than a neighbor kid once in awhile whom my husband always said was destined for prison. But now he's dealing with jerk customers at work (McDonald's) who cuss him out or flip him out and coworkers with issues. Welcome to the real world, kid ..

Registered
2009 HD superglide FXD.
He was homeschooled and graduated last year at 17. Without a doubt we made the right decision there, but he didn't get any practice dealing with the juvenile ruffians of the world, other than a neighbor kid once in awhile whom my husband always said was destined for prison. But now he's dealing with jerk customers at work (McDonald's) who cuss him out or flip him out and coworkers with issues. Welcome to the real world, kid ..

im no expert, but I have a cuple man children and will offer my opinion. Your boy will learn more on how to deal with A-holes working at thay McDonalds then at school. No safe spaces at work. I feelnhe will be a better quality adult being home schooled, and working then in some public highschool.

On The Road Again!
im no expert, but I have a cuple man children and will offer my opinion. Your boy will learn more on how to deal with A-holes working at thay McDonalds then at school. No safe spaces at work. I feelnhe will be a better quality adult being home schooled, and working then in some public highschool.
+ 1000, El Sluggo!!!
My father owned a small corner grocery store.
One evening at dinner when I was 11 years old, he looked at me and said,
"You're old enough to be working in the store. BE THERE Saturday morning!"
No "do you want to". No discussion about it.
I worked in his store part time for more than 10 years. Learned a lot about dealing with people and how to properly and politely take care of customers.

Registered
2009 HD superglide FXD.
+ 1000, El Sluggo!!!
My father owned a small corner grocery store.
One evening at dinner when I was 11 years old, he looked at me and said,
"You're old enough to be working in the store. BE THERE Saturday morning!"
No "do you want to". No discussion about it.
I worked in his store part time for more than 10 years. Learned a lot about dealing with people and how to properly and politely take care of customers.

Just look at my spellins. Thats what public education gets you. whaaa. Yeah, i remember summer before my freshman year. I asked my dad if i could have $20 bucks so i could go to the show. Hentold me to meet him in the morning, but not to show up in good cloths. All that summer i was his worksite donky. And one day, he says, "dude, give me five bucks" he pulled into stop and go, runs in and comes out with some beer, and gives me one then says, taste that boy, aint it so much better when you buy it? I said yup. Definatly no safe spaces where he worked. Also found out that summer i was not scared of heights.

American Legion Rider
My last year in high school I was able to leave early to go to work where I was graded on how I performed. This was at the Army and Navy Exchange Service at the local Air Force base.. You have no idea what aceholes can be like until you deal with officers wives. Yeah, I learned a lot that year.

Registered
NRA Life Member

I disagree, you will never learn how to deal with people in a real world peer presure inviroment unles you grow up dealing with it. home schooled makes them too protected from any real world scenarios, makes them less likely to speak up in public when there is a problem, and all together makes them "sheltered".

No wonder someone's having issues at work....people are going to be people, some good, some assh**es, most bad. if he was in school, he would have already dealt with these scenarios, but instead he was sheltered from it, had apparently good accinemics and graduated early, but now has problems dealing with the outside world...

To each his own on child rearing, thier your kids, you do it how you feel is right... but in the same sense, when my kid falls off her bike, and cries to mommy, I Show her its important to get back on that thing.
letting her run crying to mommy teaches her to run away from problems and not deal with them.

As we all know, the cliques, and the bullying and all the kid shyt we deal with in school growing up , does not end in HS. its always out in the world, you still get people at work that will group up, pick on othere or make fun of them etc..

Its just we get taught how to deal with it at an early age, wrather than being home schooled, and then have to deal with it in an adult enviornment...

My 2 Cents.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
AC/DC 'reinvented' and reintroduced the Bagpipes very effectively in their earlier Bon Scott years.
Yeah, he found some videos and used those to disprove Dad's assertion that you can't play bagpipes with any other instruments, therefore they're not worth it. He can play "It's a Long Way to the Top" on his. Oh, and "Thunderstruck" on his guitar.:cool:

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I disagree, you will never learn how to deal with people in a real world peer presure inviroment unles you grow up dealing with it. home schooled makes them too protected from any real world scenarios, makes them less likely to speak up in public when there is a problem, and all together makes them "sheltered".

No wonder someone's having issues at work....people are going to be people, some good, some assh**es, most bad. if he was in school, he would have already dealt with these scenarios, but instead he was sheltered from it, had apparently good accinemics and graduated early, but now has problems dealing with the outside world...

To each his own on child rearing, thier your kids, you do it how you feel is right... but in the same sense, when my kid falls off her bike, and cries to mommy, I Show her its important to get back on that thing.
letting her run crying to mommy teaches her to run away from problems and not deal with them.

As we all know, the cliques, and the bullying and all the kid shyt we deal with in school growing up , does not end in HS. its always out in the world, you still get people at work that will group up, pick on othere or make fun of them etc..

Its just we get taught how to deal with it at an early age, wrather than being home schooled, and then have to deal with it in an adult enviornment...

My 2 Cents.
He was hardly sheltered. We went to playgroups, homeschool co-ops, park programs, the science center, educational live performances for kids, and he went with me running errands and to meetings when Dad had work or school. We didn't just sit at home with the doors locked and the curtains drawn. On nice days when I couldn't stand to stay home, we took off on our bicycles on the trail system and had phys ed all day.

IMHO, kids are better off spending most of their time with their families growing up. That's where they see proper behavior modeled and how the real world works. Being segregated by age group and cooped up (and now masked-up) in an artificial environment getting indoctrinated with the latest liberal anti-God, anti-American BS isn't normal.

He's managing the negative stuff at work just fine, but he's ready to move on to something else so he's applying for new jobs. Nothing wrong with that. He's trying to figure out what to do with his life, so a job in a different sector will be good experience, plus he's taking classes at a community college.

American Legion Rider
IMHO, kids are better off spending most of their time with their families growing up. That's where they see proper behavior modeled and how the real world works. Being segregated by age group and cooped up (and now masked-up) in an artificial environment getting indoctrinated with the latest liberal anti-God, anti-American BS isn't normal.
Could not agree more. But @BAZININJA check your conversations. I did reply to you.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts