On The Road Again!
4,100 Posts
Ask him if he can play Far Far Away.
(where's his skirt?)

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,375 Posts
Im guessing this poor kid has no Idea he is the butt of one of his Moms online jokes.... (finger tapping) :unsure:

Agreed... Future man bun I see in his future...

·
Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im guessing this poor kid has no Idea he is the butt of one of his Moms online jokes.... (finger tapping) :unsure:

Agreed... Future man bun I see in his future...
Nah, he came up with the shirt idea and motorcycle joke.

I don't see the man bun thing happening, but I told him that he better be prepared for negative comments about the kilt. At the same time, I'm proud of him for doing something that's sort of a risky thing for a guy to do in America. He's getting to be known around his college campus as "The Guy Who Plays the Bagpipes". I'm pleasantly surprised at all the positive feedback he gets about them because they're generally portrayed negatively, but in a humorous way. He found a "Friends" clip where Ross was playing bagpipes that was really funny.

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,375 Posts
I love the bagpipes if played correctly, and really love the amazing grace played on them at funerals. I old my oldest daughter that i wanted that played at my funeral, and also I want a viking funeral... but unfortunatly thats illegal here in the ststes. so bummer for me.

I comend him on having the nuts to play them, they are not easy....the shirts a hoot!(y)

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love the bagpipes if played correctly, and really love the amazing grace played on them at funerals. I old my oldest daughter that i wanted that played at my funeral, and also I want a viking funeral... but unfortunatly thats illegal here in the ststes. so bummer for me.

I comend him on having the nuts to play them, they are not easy....the shirts a hoot!(y)
The kid can play "Amazing Grace", so when your time comes, lemme know.;)
He's only been playing them for a couple months, but he picked them up really fast. He really has a gift for music that we hope he can turn into a career somehow. He also plays guitar, mandolin, and a little keyboard He learns by YouTube videos and by ear. He can do some amazing things on the guitar, including percussive guitar. He also has a good singing voice and sounds a lot like Randy Travis.
A friend's father passed away recently and had a military funeral. When it was time for"Taps", someone put a trumpet to his mouth, pushed a button on his phone, and faked it. That's just not right, IMHO. I understand that it's appropriate to play it on the bagpipes as well. Seems that there's a need to fill around here so that our veterans are interred with the dignity they deserve. I hope the kid will look into it.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
640 Posts
I actually do like the sound of the bagpipes. I went to a memorial service not long ago and they had a bagpipe player. It was awesome. I was surprised how loud they were.

I'm not going to ever ask what's under the kilt.

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,375 Posts
The kid can play "Amazing Grace", so when your time comes, lemme know.;)
If my time comes, doubt i will be able to inform you LOL but I do TY verry much for that..:cool:

Playing all those instruments, I hope it does work out as a career for him...ill keep my fingers crossd for him..;)

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I actually do like the sound of the bagpipes. I went to a memorial service not long ago and they had a bagpipe player. It was awesome. I was surprised how loud they were.

I'm not going to ever ask what's under the kilt.
The Great Highland bagpipes, which are the "traditional" ones we're most familiar with and the ones in the picture, are VERY loud!!! We make him practice outside because even though we have a good sized house, they'll still break your eardrums. Heck, our neighbor can hear them almost a half-mile away!!! 🤣 He also has a set of smaller pipes that he plays with other instruments. Now he's making noise about Uilleann bagpipes, but they're even more expensive than the GHs and more difficult to play. I keep telling him that if he can start earning money with what he has, then he can think about those.

Under the kilt? Well, suffice to say he won't be embarrassed if someone does something stupid.:)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Pirates capture four prisoners — a Scotsman, an Irishman, a Welshman and an Englishman.

One morning the captives are told, “You are to be lined up and each shot, but before you are shot you get a final wish.”

The Scotsman says, “Before I’m shot I’d like to hear “Scotland the Brave” played on the bagpipes once again, to remind me of the old country.”

Their captor nods, “That can be arranged.”

The Irishman says, “Before I die, I’d like to hear an Irish tenor sing “Danny Boy” and see a performance of “Riverdance” to remind me of the old country.”

Their captor nods, “That can also be arranged.”

The Welshman says, “I’d like to hear Men of Harlech once again, sung by the Treorchy Male Voice Choir, to remind me of the old country.”

Their captor nods, “Yes. That can be arranged.”

Then the captor turns to the Englishman. “And what is your wish?”

“I wish to be shot first.”

:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
66 Posts
The sound of bag pipes breaks me every time. I will cry like a little girl.

100% he will love the kilt. I would honestly wear mine every day if I could.

Fun fact: I was told by an old Scottish friend that they call them “kilts” cause that was what they did to the first guy who called them skirts, they kilt him.

·
American Legion Rider
25,606 Posts
The funerals I attend for the American Legion or PGR where bagpipes are part of the service, do seem to get a little more emotional than others for some reason. I commend your son for doing something different Lori. In my high school days, that would lead to a fight after school most days. Hope that's not the case for your son. My fists hurt just thinking about the number of fights I got in. It was a rough school to say the least and all I played was a trumpet.

·
Short Fuse
599 Posts
AC/DC 'reinvented' and reintroduced the Bagpipes very effectively in their earlier Bon Scott years.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,432 Posts
Taps on a bugle is what gets me every time.

Reactions: Retired Guy
1 - 20 of 42 Posts