Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK I was inspired to write this, due to some comments on another thread.
I am in no way; trying to typify Harley riders, just stating the fact, that the 3 guys were riding Harleys.

Also pointing out a riding hazzard !

Bossy Bessie & I were into the end of one of our USA tours, and we were headed north on SR 23 in Ohio, around 1400, bright sunny day !
We were a few miles south of Rising Sun, when I noticed a group of people,ahead, standing around, close to the road, with a couple of bikes & a pick up truck.
As they were spread on both sides of the road, I slowed down, cos it looked a bit like an accident scene, without any official vehicles, or flashing lights.
As I got closer, I could see, that now , all 5 guys, were leaning back on the side of the Pick Up, with their arms crossed, staring at us !
So I slowed even more, as I went over a railway crossing, just in front of them.

Then, the handlebars were almost wrenched out of my hands, as we went over the single track crossing, at an incredibly acute angle to the roadway.
I managed to regain control of the bike, before almost hitting the side of the Pick up truck.
None of the guys moved !
Then, as I was pulling away from the area, seeing a busted harley on its side, I realized what had happened.

Three guys had been riding in an unfamiliar area, and when the first guy crossed the tracks, at some speed, his front wheel had been ripped away, and he had crashed.
The other 2 riders managed to slow down and get across, without incident, tended to their buddy, and had called for a mate in a pick up to help them out.

Then, after the pick up arrived, and they were all trying to move the damaged Harley, someone spotted Bossy & I, coming up the road !

I can only assume, that the conversation went something like this .....

Hey guys, here comes another motocikle, lets lean back n see what happens to him !!!!

So they all dropped the bike ( that I couldn't see, just then ) and came to lean against the truck.

As it was, the mix of bikes & truck & movement, slowed me down enough, that I managed to cross the track, as said, almost in control, and almost hitting the Pick Up.

Anyway, We pulled in at the crossroads in Rising Sun, & filled up.
As we were ready to leave the gas station, the troup, of 2 Harley's, and the Pick up Truck with the Harley with the Bent front wheel in the back, passed us heading north.
And the Cheeky *******s even had the audacity to wave at us !
:confused:
I WOULD HAVE BEEN WAVING MY ARMS AND DOING ANYTHING POSSIBLE, TO GET AN APPROACHING RIDER TO SLOW DOWN , BEFORE HITTING THE TRACK !

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, apparently local bikers, just look ahead, then do a crazy S thing, if nothing is coming towards them.
That way, they cross at 90 deg.
However, I agree with you !
There should be some sort of MC warning, on both sides of the crossing !!!!!
Just shows the need to..
Take Care Out There !

·
Nightfly
3,715 Posts
I can't say this kind of behavior by the bikers is indicative of Harley riders. I think it's indicative of jerk-off's who find humor in other people's misfortune, or hoped for misfortune.

I do think the local establishment, be it Township or County, should have placed a sign(s) warning motorcyclist of the danger ahead, should be a no-brainer.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,443 Posts
Yeah, they were just @$$holes. Doesn't really matter what bikes they happened to be ridding

·
Charlie Tango Xray
759 Posts
Now see, my smart aleck wit would have had me saying to them as I rode by, "If I rode as bad as you guys, I would have ran you all over as I crashed." ;)

·
Charlie Tango Xray
759 Posts
On another note, (maybe because I'm also a bicyclist) I'll do the S curve thing over most diagonal railroad tracks on the motorcycle too out of habit.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
One of the FIRST things I do upon encountering an accident scene is to make sure nobody ELSE comes piling into it, whether by getting out and directing traffic or parking my vehicle across the roadway to stop traffic...

I know right now you're thinking they behaved selfishly by not flagging you down, etc. but perhaps they were all just too shell-shocked to even think about someone not in their group and how close to death they ALL might have come...

Either that or they're just jerks..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts