Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was cold and wet around here, with temps in the 30's and some slight precipitation (as compared to today where we are in the midst of an ice storm). Running some errands in my car I saw one guy, NO HELMET, NO WINDSCREEN, on a bike seating at a stop light. The light changed and off he went. I can't imagine how he tolerated the weather, but thought he is either one tough dude, and/or had no other means of transportation.

It did make me look longingly at my bike in the back of the garage, fast asleep for the winter.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
I ride as long as the temp in in the double digits and the roads are clear. I only have 20 miles each way to work so it's not a big deal. The only thing that ever gets cold are the finger tips and knees. I think I will check into electric gloves though, heated grips don't warm the top side of the fingers.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I guess it might have been low 40's or so and misting when I left to return some movies. I got caught in a rain shower and had soaked feet and just getting wet in other areas. I am riding all I can in any weather I can because once the salt trucks come out it is just too hard on the bikes.
Cold is easier than heat for me. I suffer a lot when my wife is wanting to warm her toes up in the car...

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
There is a guy in town that has studs on his Wing, he will ride in the snow. He only lives a couple miles from where he works, but his yellow Wing will be seen in most weather.

·
Premium Member
8,911 Posts
Freeze it.

I am okay on my Island with the cold. But on the mainland with millions of cages, I do not want to be on snow and ice slippery roads. My van needs to be run, so I insured it for 3 months. It will get used if required.
What Slum said about the crap that lands on the bike. It is why I ride the 83 XS400. I think I paid $250 for Deep Purple, but with the new engine and many parts, I probably spent $1000.00.

When I was inland, it was always much easier to take, if it would drop to minus 10 C or more. No dampness, fine snow.

Unkle Krusty*

·
American Legion Rider
23,542 Posts
Some guys just aren't bothered by cold temps. I on the other hand and most others, have got worse with the cold temps to the point I'm shivering with anything below 60º nearly. And it gets worse the older I get.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
I am okay on my Island with the cold. But on the mainland with millions of cages, I do not want to be on snow and ice slippery roads. My van needs to be run, so I insured it for 3 months. It will get used if required.
What Slum said about the crap that lands on the bike. It is why I ride the 83 XS400. I think I paid $250 for Deep Purple, but with the new engine and many parts, I probably spent $1000.00.

When I was inland, it was always much easier to take, if it would drop to minus 10 C or more. No dampness, fine snow.

Unkle Krusty*
I saw Surrey got some snow the other day. It's a big deal to them I guess.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Some guys just aren't bothered by cold temps. I on the other hand and most others, have got worse with the cold temps to the point I'm shivering with anything below 60º nearly. And it gets worse the older I get.
^^^^^^^+1
Yep, afraid if its below 60....not me.
Ed

·
Registered
86 Posts
For me, being a new rider, the cold doesn't affect me as much. The first week I had my bike I rode around in 30-40 degree temperatures. Admittedly I was shivering, but it taught me the value of bundling up before riding.

I'm hesitant to ride around in heavy rain and I can't drive worth a damn in the snow in my truck so (if Houston ever gets any) I wouldn't even contemplate it on my bike.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Riding in the rain is not a challenge. The bike will do just fine. The biggest issue is the lack of being visible to car and truck drivers.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I was caught out on the interstate in the rain a few weeks back, at night. Raining hard, too. It was a somewhat of challenge for me, because there were a LOT of cages, and they were still doing 65-70+ MPH. I had to go faster than I wanted to, in the slow lane, just to keep from getting run over from behind.

If something had happened and I had gone down - curtains. No way the cars behind me could have done anything except run over me.

Riding in the rain is not a challenge. The bike will do just fine. The biggest issue is the lack of being visible to car and truck drivers.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
I keep a high-viz vest in my bags with the rain gear. I put it on over the rain gear.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Without a helmet and my fairing there is no way I would have been out that day, but I was. It was closer to 34ºF around here though.

·
Premium Member
8,911 Posts
Surrey

I saw Surrey got some snow the other day. It's a big deal to them I guess.
There was some snow when I left on Monday around 0900. Often it is soft snow that packs to very slippery. Worse than snow when it is much colder.
The tyres on the van have M&S stamped on them, which is nice. Not as good as the traction on my Saturn ION, probably because it weighs more.
Snowed most of the day on my Island. Mostly slush. Supposed to warm up a bit, which is good as I am off to the mainland again next week. On the bike I hope. $36- ferry ticket for bike and me, $63.50 for the van and me. With the van I have to wait in line ups. On the bike I am first on and first off. I just go to the front of the lineup.

Unkle Krusty*

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Long road trips can have a lot of different conditions.

This was June 20th a few years ago on the Million Dollar Highway. Temps dropped to the low 30's with steady rain and on and off snow. I did have a helmet.

When I got to Durango it was 80 degrees.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
What? You didn't stop and pull over for a picture at the portion that runs through the gorge?:coffeescreen:

(I didn't either. Heck, I didn't even want to keep my eyes open.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts