Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was a beautiful clear day, and I headed up to the Madison, WI area for a day of riding. While most of Wisconsin has straight, flat roads that are not very exciting for riding, the area just west of Madison, and continuing to the Mississippi includes some great roads for riders. I've ridden some of these roads many times, and often I'm surprised at how few bikes I see on them, while so many bikes are spotted on the major highways in the area that offer so much less riding fun.

Heading north out of New Glarus on 69, I headed west on 92. While not the Tail of the Dragon, the road is constantly curving right and left all the way to Mt. Horeb. Other roads in that area, including 78 (running north/south from 18 down to 39) and 23 (between Dodgeville and Spring Green) are well worth the time. Not only are these roads fun to ride, but the scenery is beautiful and surprising to anyone who thinks of the Milwaukee to Madison area as indicative of all that Wisconsin can offer. With a nice lunch at the Country Store in Spring Green before heading back to Rockford, IL, this was a great way to spend a full 8 hour day of riding. (Being retired has its advantages, letting me do this on a "workday").

In the same area, if you can find your way to County HH, between the east/west highways of 18 and 14, you will not think you are in the Midwest but in biking heaven. If you want, there are two great attractions that might be worth stopping for in this area, the Cave of the Mounds and the House on the Rock.

My only warning is to avoid (for now) Highway 14 between Mt. Horeb and Spring Green. The road is being re-done and was nothing but fresh gravel. Riding two-up on a cruiser I did not feel comfortable keeping up the 55 mph speed limit, so I was passed by several 18 wheelers moving at 60+, kicking up tons of sand and rocks as they roared past me. This went on for several miles and until this work is done, this is not a good road for bikes.

Ride safe!

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
So next time you go that direction to ride, plan a route over to La Valle to Carr Valley Cheese factory. Get there early and watch them make a few vats of cheese.
http://www.carrvalleycheese.com/index.php?dispatch=pages.view&page_id=9
The roads are very nice and scenic in that area and the cheese curds there are the best I've ever eaten. We ended up riding back the nest day to get more curds and to get some different kinds of their cheese.

The House on the Rock is great and so unique. You can spend most of a day there. But, word from someone that knows, if you are claustrophobic, have someone with you that can help you if you need it. I made it but had to do a hasty exit from a couple of the rooms.

·
Registered
51 Posts
was considering taking road trip up there in the future, I keep this in mind.

other day i was in KY going around a corner and This nice BIG personal own(must have) semi came around at the same time. Well he blow up so much stuff off the ground i couldn't help to laugh and while blowing crap out of my mouth

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Spent the first six years of my life, living in Grantsburg (Northwest corner, near Wood River) Wisconsin.

Dad took us back there when I was about fourteen, and all I remember is a cute blond gal my age, and lots of farm land.

-Soupy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts