Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from my one week solo journey through, and all around the Smoky Mountains from 10/23/19 to 10/29/19. The fall colors, especially at elevations were spectacular. I rented a cabin out in the middle of nowhere and used it as my home base for the week. It was high in the mountains. I was doing daily riding excursions and coming back to the cabin each night. The cabin was located about 10 miles outside of the little town of Robbinsville, NC (population 605) smack dab in the middle of the mountains. Other than a bad storm that rolled in and downed some trees that caused a closing of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park because of blocked roadways, the weather was nice. Daytime temps ranging from mid 50's to mid 60's and night time temps in the mid 30's to mid 40's. I experienced a day and a half of wind and rain, but made the most of my time there.

I've made this trip many times in the past, half the time with a riding buddy or two on their Harleys, the other times I've done it solo. Its about a 1400 mile round trip. But as I posted in the other thread, there's a lot to be said about doing trips like this by yourself. On one of my rides through the Nantahala National forest, I stopped at this really beautiful spot to take a photo. I hadn't seen another human being for at least an hour or two, (not that I noticed anyway). When I shut off the bike, it was like I was in the twilight zone. Not a sound to be heard, I mean not one sound, no planes or cars, no birds, no crickets, no frogs, no wind, no nothing. It was a strange sensation, but it was a pleasantly pleasing sensation to experience, it was like I was the last man on earth kind of feeling.. The Harley Dyna Super Glide Custom performed flawlessly during the whole trip, it was the first long distance trip with this bike, so I'm always a little leery on the first trip with a new bike. One thing for sure is that Harleys are not built to attack the roads say like my Moto Guzzi Griso 1200 is. I always knew this, but had to experience it the hard way myself. The Super Glide is better suited for a more leisure riding style.

I covered a lot of miles while I was there, riding from sunup to sundown. I did Moonshiners Run, the Fontana Dam, the Cherohala Skyway from Robbinsville NC to Tellico Plains, TN. HWY 129 Tail of the Dragon. Rode to other small towns like Cherokee, Maggie Valley, Murphy & Bryson City NC to devour some local cuisine. I stopped at this outdoor steak house where you eat outdoors on a wraparound porch in a forest. This dog came up out of nowhere to my table and just sat there staring at me the whole time I was there, about 45 minutes. I named the dog Dingo as he became my dining buddy, he didn't care for the stuffed mushrooms, but he loved the steak and fries. This lady comes up and says oh, what a beautiful dog, is he yours. I said no, he just found me. Be careful, he's a wild North Carolina Dingo and he might bite your hand off....lol, we had a good laugh.

The last day came when I had to pack up and head back to Florida, I really wanted to stay longer, but you know how life is, so I hit the road. The following pics of this years fall journey, the first couple of pics are from my cabins front porch looking out the front yard, if you can call it a yard. One pic shows the storm moving in. Then there's Dingo's photo and others that I took while at different locations during the weeks travels. Many of my pics were selfies because I was the only one there. When I encountered other people, some would ask me to take their photo for them, in tern, they would take one of me. On my last ride, I pulled into this scenic overlook, I was going to take a selfie when three ladies pulled in on their Harleys. They took a pic of me & I took one of the three of them. It was a good safe 2019 fall trip.
My front yard at the cabin.

Storms moving in.

Cherohala Skyway above the clouds.

The coldest day.

This church is located on HWY 129 near Tail of the Dragon. That yellow sign in front of the church says Dragonslayers Welcome Here.

Fontana Dam

Dingo my dining buddy.

·
American Legion Rider
18,956 Posts
Sounds and looks like a great ride you had. but Dingo doesn't look like a stray. At least in the picture he looks rather well cared for.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds and looks like a great ride you had. but Dingo doesn't look like a stray. At least in the picture he looks rather well cared for.
Yeah you're right. He was very clean and healthy, well behaved. He also had a collar on, no tags. I asked the waitress about him and she said that she thought the dog belonged to a nearby neighbor, she had seen him there at the restaurant before. She asked if he was bothering me and offered to get rid of him but I said no, I'm enjoying his company. When I left he followed me to my bike, I directed him back to the restaurant.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Looks like you had a very good fall vacation. Really like your photos. I can't always remember to take a pic.

Planning a trip next spring/summer on my Super Glide. Hope it performs as well as yours did. As for it being suited for a nice leisure pace, that suits me fine.

Good photos, glad you had a safe trip! :)

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like you had a very good fall vacation. Really like your photos. I can't always remember to take a pic.

Planning a trip next spring/summer on my Super Glide. Hope it performs as well as yours did. As for it being suited for a nice leisure pace, that suits me fine.

Good photos, glad you had a safe trip! :)
Your Super Glide should do just fine. It was the first long trip with mine and I'm much more at ease with it now as far as reliability and comfort. One of my concerns was how well the seat comfort would be with so many hours in the saddle. Its the Sundowner seat and it was comfortable with no issue at all. So all in all I'm really happy with the bike. I enjoyed it so much, I'm trying to figure out how to get some more time off from work so that like you, I might be able to do a trip this coming spring.

·
On The Road Again!
2,729 Posts
Great photos, Z.

I was down that way on my Goldwing this past summer. I have to say that I LOVED riding the Smokies!!

P.S. Howcum some of your photos are reversed?
The lettering on your helmet is backwards and so is the sign on the store.
:devil::devil::devil:

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Great photos, Z.

I was down that way on my Goldwing this past summer. I have to say that I LOVED riding the Smokies!!

P.S. Howcum some of your photos are reversed?
The lettering on your helmet is backwards and so is the sign on the store.
:devil::devil::devil:
Yeah, I don't know if there are any better roads to ride than the ones in that region of the country. The people are extremely friendly in the small towns throughout the region. The roads are well maintained, shaded, beautiful scenery, mild temperatures most of the year, with lots of destinations to ride to. Miles and miles of never ending twisties through mountainous forest scenery, not to mention lots of with white water rapids and waterfalls all over the place, and no traffic to speak of (depending on time of year). I don't know what else a rider can wish for. I've never ridden on the west coast or the Pacific northwest (California, Oregon or Washington state), I've been there, but not riding. I would imagine its just as great, except for the weather in the Pacific Northwest.

As far as the lettering be reversed in some of the photo's, those photos were taken with my phone by myself as selfies. It has something to do with using the reverse side of the camera so that I could see what I was shooting at. All the other photo's were taken with the front facing camera on my phone and that doesn't reverse the image.

I forgot this photo in the original post of the paved driveway leading up to the cabin.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Another good looking photo, a road I'd be inclined to travel at a reduced pace. Might meet someone coming the other way.

I've still got the stock seat on my Super Glide but by this weekend I should have my new Mustang Vintage Wide seat.

Hopefully, by spring/early summer I'll have new tires, front and rear, full service on the bike and both eyes fixed, I hope. It's a goal.

·
Visionary
2,983 Posts
Looks like a great trip, thanks for sharing the pictures!

·
American Legion Rider
18,956 Posts
Zebraranger said:
Retired Guy said:
Another good looking photo, a road I'd be inclined to travel at a reduced pace.
Very reduced if you can't see very far in front of you and just hope others are doing the same. But yeah, that road would fun for sure.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Was just eyeballing your photos again and noticed something. In every photo that included your bike, your bike looks really, really clean!

My bikes tend to get a bit grimy looking on a trip, especially if it has rained. A few times they've got so bad I did spend a half day or so cleaning them up, but your bike looks great! In every photo!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was just eyeballing your photos again and noticed something. In every photo that included your bike, your bike looks really, really clean!

My bikes tend to get a bit grimy looking on a trip, especially if it has rained. A few times they've got so bad I did spend a half day or so cleaning them up, but your bike looks great! In every photo!
Oh it got grimy, especially the day I rode in the rain. But, I was at the cabin every night by myself, so I had plenty of time to clean it up almost every evening. Yeah, I'm kind of anal about that with all my bikes. Fortunately the cabin owner provides a hose and rags for cleaning the bikes on the premises, they specialize in renting to bikers. I found it on Airbnb. The cabin also had a bike garage to lock it up in every night with lights, power outlets for a battery tender or whatever, a shelf to store your riding gear and apparel, and a wall map of the region. Really reasonable too at $60.00 a night. I don't have a lot of photos of the cabin, but I do have these of the garage because I was so impressed that they have bikers in mind when renting. I do have one of the interior. Cabin also came with WIFI, satellite internet service and large screen satellite TV, coffee maker, coffee & filters, small fridge, microwave & toaster. It was a very very clean facility. I'm telling you, I was in hog heaven.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts