Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may have noticed I haven't posted anything about riding this year. I have used many excuses to myself why I haven't gotten out there yet this year. Yesterday was in the 80's and sunny, I didn't ride. Last night I thought long and hard about what was going on, and I realized I was for lack of a better word 'scared'. I was afraid that I would not be able to hold the bike up, or maybe I couldn't balance it. I was sure I would have the strength. Today was mid-70's and I pissed around the house doing nothing until the wife said "I thought you were going riding today?" So I went out and prepped the bike. About 1:30 I took a deep breath, climbed on board and worked my way out between the cars to the street.

Hit the street, accelerated and shifted in to 2nd and then forgot about the world. Didn't ride for long, about 1 and a half hours later I was back home. No issues at all. Stayed off major highways, never got into top gear, just wound around on back roads. Everything went fine, I can balance and hold that heavy bike up without effort. Now to clean it up, decide if I am going to change the oil or not (changed at the end of riding season 2017 and not ridden last year).

Well that's me finally back in the saddle.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Glad to hear that! Here's hoping you get to fully enjoy the upcoming "season"!

·
American Legion Rider
25,978 Posts
Boy do I know where you were/are. That first ride after something major is down right scary. Glad all went well Critter. Here's hoping for many many more.:thumbsup:

·
American Legion Rider
25,978 Posts
I always say that when it's your time it's your time. At least you didn't a turkey kind of day John. This news about a 70 year old taken out by a turkey is something I worry about as we have huge flocks of them flying low across the roads around here.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I always say that when it's your time it's your time. At least you didn't a turkey kind of day John. This news about a 70 year old taken out by a turkey is something I worry about as we have huge flocks of them flying low across the roads around here.

Hey, how about the Geico guy (or is it Progressive?) riding down the road, colliding with numerous birds, shaking them off and grinning; colliding with a Canada goose, shaking it off, grinning; looking ahead, seeing an ostrich coming on -- and grinning in anticipation?:smile_big:

I turned 66 today and, praise God, am still in excellent health in spite of losing a kidney to cancer two years ago. I am planning a late May or early June ride out around a big chunk of the Great Plains, probably 4200 miles total over 2 weeks or so. From time to time since I have been thinking on this trip, I have woken up in the middle of the night and thought, "Do I REALLY want to do this?"

Well, time moves on, what God giveth he can taketh away, and by golly if it is ever going to happen it needs to happen NOW. I may make it as far as Nashville and call it quits -- so what? At least I will have tried, and there'll be no "if only" regrets.

Take no counsel of your fears, young men! F*** it! Let's ride!:71baldboy:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I can commiserate. I've been fighting off a similar fear, that's been causing me to put off riding, and coming up with excuses since I got my Virago over a month ago to not just get out there in ride.

Some of you may remember that I had a Shadow 750 a couple of years ago. I only barely got it on the street, and couldn't work out how to steer the thing appropriately. I ended up selling it to finance some education to get me into a better career.

I rode a scooter for a little over a year, but sold it last year because my coworker wanted something small for his short commute, and it wasn't cutting it power wise for my commute.

I bought the Virago early last month, and in some ways it may have been a poor choice due to the similarties to the Shadow (same color, same displacement, both cruisers), what can I say, metric cruisers appeal to me! So I've been putting off riding it, needed tires, needs this changed and that changed.

So Saturday I finished the last safety related task and forced myself to ride, it went well with no stalling, no close calls, and no drops. So I planned to take it out on Sunday for a little longer ride. Sunday was a perfect day, and out came the excuses, I'm sore, the kids are a little under the weather, so I didn't ride. Yesterday, same damn thing.

So today, I got home from work and decided I'm going out, I didn't even sit down, use the bathroom, nothing. I put on my gear and took off. Yeah, it was only a half hour, but I got to take some corners and verify that I can ride this thing without looking like an idiot or killing myself.

I'm really happy to hear that you are getting back out there, and I hope you have a great riding season!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
American Legion Rider
25,978 Posts
It must just be a bad year. I'm guilty of the excuses as well. Great day yesterday and another today but did I ride? Nope. Too much work still needed to get done. Another fair day tomorrow and I hope to get out there. So what's getting me out there, if I do? A funeral. I try to honor our fallen vets so what better excuse than to stand a flag line to honor a vets final ride. I haven't even had time to check the bike. I'm just going. I actual fear if I check things I'll find another excuse not to ride. Hope it works out okay but I got to get out there. I'm shot from the work today and just taking some time now to check the forum. Then take a shower and hit the sack. I used to be able to do all this ranch **** and not even break a sweat. Now it takes everything I have and just drags me down. This getting old sucks!!!

·
Premium Member
9,876 Posts
Well done Critter, and the others guys who are getting out and about.
A little octane boost in your morning coffee helps.

UK

·
Visionary
5,269 Posts
Glad your back riding again! That sure must have felt good after the time away!
I think you better get that oil changed this month, but put a couple thousand miles on it first.. get going :)

·
On The Road Again!
4,204 Posts
I only got my bike out of the shop Friday and already I have over 300 miles on it.
That's pretty good considering that I've been working every day for last week and
only riding when I get a few hours free.
The season is starting off very nicely for me.

Keeping my fingers crossed....

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
Maybe something in the air?
Last year I don't think I got 500 miles under me. Between the weather and my sheer laziness, I just didn't get out.
"Too hot, the truck has A/C in traffic"
"Too much chance of rain"
Mostly- I was just too lazy to get geared up.

This year I'm hoping to do differently

·
American Legion Rider
25,978 Posts
Well I did finally get out. Not a long ride but it was nice to be riding and let some tension escape. We stood a flag line for a military veteran and a retired Wichita Falls police officer. Turned out to be one of those where the family really appreciated our presence. It was a good day.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Had a couple of things I needed to do today. One was pick up prescriptions at Ft. Meade. 6 miles each way. The other was check the boat and talk to the guys at the marina. 36 miles each way. By my math that is 170 miles by bike. :)

It was a great riding day, mid to upper 60's and sunny.

·
Premium Member
9,876 Posts
Closer to 180 I would think.
I am puttering on bike stuff and boat stuff.
Will be on the boat Friday to Monday over Easter weekend.
Putting the side car back on Yami, after altering one mounting bracket to clear the new pipes.

UK

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,140 Posts
Depression and lack of confidence is something that most 'open heart surgery' survivors go through in varying degrees.:plain:

I worry about things that never bothered me pre-surgery, like heat, cold, FLATS, running out of gas, breakdowns with no cell service, etc, as I ride alone through 'Deliverence' country in rural Ozarks.:sad:

Doubt and worry will make me curtail riding unless things are absolutely perfect on the day of my planned ride or the start of a touring trip.:smile_big:

I rode so few miles last year that I'm not sure I can even call myself a biker. My procrastination and my busy business, Church and Farm schedule conspire to keep me from taking off and enjoying myself like I used too but I have my bikes all ready to hit the road:wink2:

Sam:grin:

·
American Legion Rider
25,978 Posts
I know my reason to finally get away from all the ranch work is rather depressing to most but it worked to get me on the bike. Wasn't the best of days. You'll soon get the ugly wind I was riding today Sam. Unfortunately I see a nasty tornado season in the works with the huge temperature swings we are having. So get your rides in my friend. Make excuses to ride. Not to not ride. Those are easy. I know for fact you got some great roads to explore up there. My old stomping grounds was just a little bit further north in Osceola and Clinton. But that area has changed since I was visiting my grandparents. I'm not even sure I could find there two farms. It would be fun looking though, that I know.

Reactions: Porky

·
Banned
87 Posts
Went 600 miles on my brute over last weekend including Sedona and up to 8000 ft, a great time. But I am a youngster, only 62. Also we have not riding season so if a guy gets out of practice its his own fault. Oh, and if it gives you any inspiration (it does me) I ride on occasion with a little guy in his mid 80s and is undergoing chemo who rides his harley like a bandit!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,140 Posts
We got 40 to 50 mph winds today and at one point I got out of my car and was almost blown over, of course I am a big 'Sail!':smile_big:

The winds always come from the Southwest and hit our North-South roads at a 45 degree angle that really throws the bike around and almost took my helmet off once when I was riding my VTX1800 at a rapid pace going south:surprise:

I hate Tornado's and the loss of life and destruction they cause and they seem to hit here when it's dark so you can't really see them unless lightning lights the sky up:crying:

Sam:nerd:

·
American Legion Rider
25,978 Posts
We got 40 to 50 mph winds today and at one point I got out of my car and was almost blown over, of course I am a big 'Sail!':smile_big:

The winds always come from the Southwest and hit our North-South roads at a 45 degree angle that really throws the bike around and almost took my helmet off once when I was riding my VTX1800 at a rapid pace going south:surprise:

I hate Tornado's and the loss of life and destruction they cause and they seem to hit here when it's dark so you can't really see them unless lightning lights the sky up:crying:

Sam:nerd:
Yes they do. I slept thru one when I was kid. What woke me up was the speaker from the firetruck that was parked in front of my parents house and I could see the red light flashing above. The roof and ceiling of the hose was gone. How crazy is that? I can remember seeing the night sky painted with reddish clouds to this day. Eery is the only word for it but it has made me not afraid of tornadoes ever since.

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey Critter -
I went down in 2010 and had an ankle rebuild. Later that year when I was "healed" and so too was the bike, a good friend came by on his bike and we went for a ride (me on my bike). My accident was from those damn tar and stone road patches on a hard right up hill corner and the wheels just went out from under me (like riding on sand). Needless to say when my friend and i were out, every stone or driveway spread on the pavement freaked me out. But it got better and eventually I took a safety course that got me going again. It takes guts, there is no way around it. But dang man, I am happy you took the first steps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts