Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This kid of mine now at 28 has come quite a ways in the last thirteen years. She knew as a senior in high school that she needed to go to college,but like so many freshmen, did not know what her major should be.

She did have strong academic skills as well as college level skills in sprints and even decent at cross country as she ran in 10 different events at the state level in high school. I only mention sports because it gave her opportunities way above what a carpenter's daughter could otherwise afford. She finally settled on a 'junior ivy' liberal arts college who actually gave her a better package than many of the athletic scholarships that she was offered.

Of course Katie had to have college employment to make it through school,but she went for the jobs that involved helping other students navigate their way when they might be confused or even terrified of making a mistake. When she attended a lecture dealing with that exact issue,she contacted the professor for clarification and that led to a research stipend for a chapter in a book he was writing. More importantly,it led to other contacts and recommendations for an assistance-ship [fully funded masters degree] to grad school.

She started a Roth IRA as age 19 at the recommendation of a college financial aid administrator.He realized the heavy penalty kids pay who work their way through and often pay as much as a 70% tax rate vs, those who lay around the pool in the summer. The Roth contribution can be used to pay off student debt with no penalty,but that has not been necessary to this point. Her debt after six years of college would not be enough buy a midsize car. Anyway,she still contributes a sizable amount to the Roth even at a moderate income.

So we come to now. After working three years for a university,she submitted applications to 5 colleges for a PHD in her chosen field and now has two acceptance offers with a possible third after the interview. One of the offers is considered to be from the #2 school in its field in the area of study that she is pursuing.

I know that we often hear of English majors with a hundred grand of college debt and no meaningful employment, but there are ways to make things happen if you have the will and the developed talent instead of thinking that a degree is all it takes. There is another young man from Haiti in her college class of 2009 who has a much more amazing story than my daughter. His will and determination have taken him far already, and I have no doubts about an even better future for him.

·
American Legion Rider
18,538 Posts
It's great when you see your kids doing better than you. Makes you proud.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
I agree Metaldoc, it shows she had some great parenting! So happy for her Slum. I'm sure you frequently tell her how proud you are of her.
Tell her congratulations from us!!!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Congrats to your daughter and yourself! It is nice to hear about young people who are contributing to society instead of being a drain on it! What is her field of study?

·
10,763 Posts
Congrats to you and your family. She has done well. The bar for my kids is a bit lower. I just do not want them to move back home and live in the basement. So far I am happy.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Congrats to your daughter and yourself! It is nice to hear about young people who are contributing to society instead of being a drain on it! What is her field of study?
A bit difficult to explain, but if i understand it correctly,it involves first generation college students whose parents did not attend college and all the difficulties they face. It also dovetails with international studies students. from other cultures.

When you think about it, there is a high rate of not getting a degree when your parents are struggling to pay or your group [say like students from the Orient or American minority kids] are suddenly exposed to American college culture . The practical application is keeping them enrolled to complete a degree which keeps the college treasury full. Recruiting new students costs considerably more than retaining enrollment to graduation.

The field is fairly new as a course of study,so her eventual goal is to be a college professor in this field.

Moni,I do tell her I am proud of her, and in that vein I showed her this thread. She cried a little.

Slum

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Slum,

I can certainly understand why she cried a little. My dad only told me once or twice that he was proud of me. The way it made me feel was priceless! I know that is one of the main reasons I am who I am today. I always wanted so badly to please him. He was a great man, so good and caring about others.

I certainly wasn't an angel in my teen age years. Many times friends would want me to do things that might have gotten me put in jail. I thought about how he would feel if he found out or I ended up in jail. I didn't do them.

She is a lucky girl to have a dad that tells her how proud he is of her.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all your well wishes. She is going to Michigan [Big Blue] and that is considered to be the #2 school in the nation in her area of study.

Once she did the interview and accepted their offer, they later came back with 30% more money than they originally offered, calling it an additional merit award given to only two students. Also the original offer was for four years and now is for five. She was ready to live in enforced poverty for the five years because she refuses to borrow more money. Now with the additional award and with some summer work,she will do just fine.

She bought my dinner on my birthday and gave me this news. Nice present indeed

Her goal in all this is to become a college professor. I already have my bike roads picked out for the trip to Ann Arbor...

·
Registered
699 Posts
Thanks for all your well wishes. She is going to Michigan [Big Blue] and that is considered to be the #2 school in the nation in her area of study.

Once she did the interview and accepted their offer, they later came back with 30% more money than they originally offered, calling it an additional merit award given to only two students. Also the original offer was for four years and now is for five. She was ready to live in enforced poverty for the five years because she refuses to borrow more money. Now with the additional award and with some summer work,she will do just fine.

She bought my dinner on my birthday and gave me this news. Nice present indeed

Her goal in all this is to become a college professor. I already have my bike roads picked out for the trip to Ann Arbor...
Awesome, Slumlord!

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,802 Posts
Slum, you've gifted your daughter with a legacy that is priceless, instilling values, morals, good ethics and common sense. Many leave a legacy, but none better than your example.

·
Left. No, the other left.
209 Posts
That's great! Always good to hear about someone who achieves their goals all on their own merit.
And here's to you for raising her.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts