Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
old school was new school once
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 96 magna 750 that, from the outside, looks really really clean. I'm pretty much self taught on how to ride. Bought the bike, had the guy drive it 20 minutes to my house, and the next day, got on and went through trial and error. The worst that I had was stalling out because the kickstand was down engaging the safety switch. I did about 3 laps up and down the street and I heard some noises that I'm not sure are normal, a problem, or just that I'm shifting wrong or what.

It is a knocking noise but I dont think its loud (more of a rattle) or consistant enough to be rod knock, but what do I know? From what I can tell so far, it sems to be at the begining of each gear. Maybe like my rpms are too low for the gear I'm in. For example if I'm doing 25 mph and forgot to downshift. Does this sound possible? Maybe the clutch or transmisson?

What I do know is that it DOES NOT make the noise in neutral, no matter how hard or long I open the throttle.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
what gear are you in doing 25mph? yes it does seem likely that you are lugging the engine, does the sound go away when you do downshift?

·
Registered
314 Posts
The first thing to try is a new tank of
gas. Siphon out what's in it and dump
that into your car. (It will be diluted in
the car's tank so don't worry about it.)
Get a can of fresh premium gas and fill
the tank. Ride it a few miles to burn
out the gas in the lines and then see if
the knock is still there. If it is gone,
your problem is solved.

·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would it be safe just to run it till it's empty rather than siphon it? And I'm not sure what gear. It was more a hypothetical situation considering I'm just now learning. But for example If I'm in 3rd or 2nd at 25 mph. I know it should be 1st or 2nd.

·
Registered
314 Posts
If it is the gas causing the problem, it
might be safe to run out the gas.
Knocking caused predetonation of the
fuel is bad for the engine, but not
immediately dangerous.

If it isn't the gas causing the knock,
it could be safe or unsafe depending on
what is the problem.

Why do you hesitate to siphon? If you
are afraid of drinking the gas, there are
ways to siphon without ever getting a
drop near your mouth. I can explain it
if you wish.

·
Registered
329 Posts
take the tank off, remove the fuel tap and bye bye gas. also gives you a chance to clean up the filter on the tap.

fresh gas
fresh oil
check the plugs

if you have a digital camera, maybe record a short video of it running and host it on youtube or bikepics.com

·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so I think I fixed it. The chain was too tight and needed to be lubed and i took off the clutch cover and cleaned the gunk off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts