Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Like @EngineCollector I like some of the smaller bikes too, but being tall they're not very comfortable for more than 20 minutes. 900cc bikes can even seem a bit cramped, so although I love the lack of weight in a 600 I'm usually on a 1200cc or larger.

I've been looking at an Aftrica Twin for a few years, the comfort is there, but the height and gravity...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I'm also 6' 2" and about 225 lbs. (at the moment). I have been told I'm too big to be riding a Sportster, but I like getting on the wife's little 883 and going for a ride. I don't know how I look to others but if they don't like it, they don't have to look.

(I've rode my Electra Glide twice now but I'm still not strong enough to be comfortable with it.)

·
Registered
2009 HD superglide FXD.
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
so the 700 tenera is a real nice bike. I do think im going to buy a used 1200 though. Being honest, i just dont see myself doing real dualsport stuff and i would like to be comfortable laying down miles on the highway and some time on dirt, gravel roads as well as on sand at the beach when im surf fishing. The 1200 im looking at has a bunch of well maintainex highway miles on it, its a 2012, and runs like a top. just a really really nice bike. this may sound dumb, but between the 700 and 1200 it comes down to fuel capacity as ill be on the highway more then dirt.

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,447 Posts
Like @EngineCollector I like some of the smaller bikes too, but being tall they're not very comfortable for more than 20 minutes. 900cc bikes can even seem a bit cramped, so although I love the lack of weight in a 600 I'm usually on a 1200cc or larger.

I've been looking at an Aftrica Twin for a few years, the comfort is there, but the height and gravity...
I'm also 6' 2" and about 225 lbs. (at the moment). I have been told I'm too big to be riding a Sportster, but I like getting on the wife's little 883 and going for a ride. I don't know how I look to others but if they don't like it, they don't have to look.

(I've rode my Electra Glide twice now but I'm still not strong enough to be comfortable with it.)

Yep nothing like getting on a small bike and "rag dolling" them in the turns.. they are fun, but yes I do have bigger bikes. Im most comfortable on the 900rr. The 999 was comfortable as well... Im 6' 2" 170lb. So big or small bike, I can whip into turns

@Porky I have never wanted to own any HD, but also have repaired many of them, and I must say the Electra Glide is like a "Cadillac" it was fun, but more top heavy than need to be. main reason I dont paticularly like the "adventure" bikes or especially the full luggage tourers. all that excess weight to mepersonally is useless, but I see many of you do have use for them,
So I just think its my racing up bringing makign these asumptions..:p

·
Registered
119 Posts
The heavier the bike, the smoother the ride, to large degree. Harley has the advantage with their land yachts, and in addition they are rated to carry more weight than most anything comparable. All that mass doesn't get blown around by the wind nearly as much.

Buuuut, you're gonna pay for it. The last show I was at was when they were laying out the then new Milwaukee Eight engine, and only the CVO bikes got that and the upgraded shocks. Sooo, there's a few more thousand in their hands if that's how you rolled.

·
Registered
2009 HD superglide FXD.
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
this is where im at. Im still thinking used super tenere. I really liked the MT-07, but i really dont want one to be my primarey bike. And if i ever wanted to try wheelies and all thet i have the Dr650, so FZ/MT-07 go's on the "toys i want" list. I also looker at the MT-09 and 10, and got alittle surprise. the dealer guy wouod not in a million years let ke ride the MT-09, but he felt that with some coaching, and understanding of the "modes" he would be fine letting me take the 10 for a spin. Still looking though. My trip is delayed by weather today so ill be internet window shopping today.

·
Bürgerpolizei
2009 Ninja 500r
1,495 Posts
It is fun looking. I would definitely just do that for now, from reading this thread through.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
When I'm shopping for a new bike, I try to remember the bikes, I at one time or another, wanted. Like the V-Max, FJR or that single side swingarm Honda that I can't recall the name of right now. Oh well. Anyhow, after I get a new (or new to me) bike, I've got to make myself stop looking. I do that because I don't want to see the bike I didn't buy, at a better price.

·
Registered
2009 HD superglide FXD.
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
It is fun looking. I would definitely just do that for now, from reading this thread through.
Everyone is 'too big for a Sportster' according to some HD riders.
It is small, but really, to me not much worse then the dyna with the typical peg location. If I really wanted to be picky, I could say i neede fowards on that bike when i had it. I like the sportster honestly.

·
Registered
2009 HD superglide FXD.
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
oh and another bike suggestion i got is also feom yamaha, the xsr 700. Now i have only looked at it on youtube, but that bike comes off as a street legal unicycle. Can anyone attest to that?

·
Registered
135 Posts
When I'm shopping for a new bike, I try to remember the bikes, I at one time or another, wanted. Like the V-Max, FJR or that single side swingarm Honda that I can't recall the name of right now. Oh well. Anyhow, after I get a new (or new to me) bike, I've got to make myself stop looking. I do that because I don't want to see the bike I didn't buy, at a better price.
VFR800?

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Used to really want one of these - sat on a used one at a shop last month, and found it was surprisingly "too sporty" for my middle aged back....

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,918 Posts
Which Honda (Africa Twin?) has DCT Option? I can hear it now...

:rolleyes:o_O:cautious::LOL::eek:...thats ok...:censored:
Put a "hunnert" miles or so on one...then decide.;)
The Goldwing, Africa Twin , NC750X, and Honda Rebel 1100 all offer the DCT Option on their Models ..

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,918 Posts
The Gold wing is a nice bike. Africa twin to. I like shifting with my foot though.
I would still be Hand Clutching and Foot Shifting if didn't have a damaged wrist .. Did it for 52 Years, but after 1500 miles on my DCT if I had been fully aware of it's advantages probably would have bought one anyway .. Regardless of what some think a Computer can shift far faster and better than even a pro, and that's why they use them on the Track .. You still have the Paddle switch in Any Mode if wish to up shift or down shift at your own desired levels .. In User Mode the Paddle Switch is the only way to shift, which is a good option in the Twisties..

·
Registered
2009 HD superglide FXD.
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I would still be Hand Clutching and Foot Shifting if didn't have a damaged wrist .. Did it for 52 Years, but after 1500 miles on my DCT if I had been fully aware of it's advantages probably would have bought one anyway .. Regardless of what some think a Computer can shift far faster and better than even a pro, and that's why they use them on the Track .. You still have the Paddle switch in Any Mode if wish to up shift or down shift at your own desired levels .. In User Mode the Paddle Switch is the only way to shift, which is a good option in the Twisties..
Im still a little to chicken to agressivly ride real twisty stuff. I have nothing against DCT, as a matter of fact, things like DCT are great, I just really engoy the process of riding. I havent ever heard any say they diddnt like the DCT on the Africa Twin who hasnt ridden one.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts