Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2009 HD superglide FXD.
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, since the dyna got stolen im on my dualsport. I really like the bike, a DR 650. I like that bike the way it is, my only issue with it is that i dont like is riding on the highway, or over the ship channel on it. The wind beats it up pretty good. I have been looking at bikes. The super tenere is one i have been on allot, i really like riding that thing. I have also looked at some Harleys and a cuple victories. I will pass on the victorey bikes though. And I had issues with the harley to. parts are expencive, and in my area the only harley mechanic i can use is a massive turd. But i am checking out a road king. im kind of leaning towards that or the super tenere i think. while it was a bummer the bike got stolen, its real nice getting out looking. I also thought about buying a bunch of farkles for the DR, but i really cant think of any i want or need.

·
American Legion Rider
25,606 Posts
Don't overlook something like a Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe or other similar Honda or Suzuki bikes. Well, unless you just have to have a Harley. What was your concern with Victory? I wouldn't have a problem with a Cross Country Tourer. That's a solid reliable bike.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Having worked on bikes, if you don't "do your own work and love doing it," do not get a Harley. I'm from Milwaukee, don't care for some of their bikes, would love to own others, but man they're a lot of work to maintain. Oil changes cost $300 for good reason, there's a lot of preventative maintenance the dealer should be doing (get a printed report on what they did and keep it for your records). Plus the special tools and seals needed to do most anything, even change the oil. And the timing chain tensioner replacement at 15K they don't tell you about. And bearings, my god, could they please use better bearings? For the price of the bike... And that navigation system, beautiful, easy to control from the grip, but what a turd as far as getting a route set up. The grips and controls are awesome though, great fairings and incredible comfort.
TLDR; Yesterday's technology at tomorrow's prices.

Polaris is mainly Chinese parts assembled in the US, and support and warranty are worthless unless your dealer fights for you. I've seen things in high vibration areas be made from pot metal (white metal casting) and catastrophically fail spectacularly. The art department there is awesome, and so is engineering--they're masters at cutting manufacturing costs.
TLDR; Chinese Space Jam.

Although BMW hasn't been mentioned yet, as long as I'm talking about maintenance... The new ones are awesome bikes the first four years of ownership. Then the electronics and other systems can start to fail. Working on them can require highly expensive BMW diagnostic equipment, and since mechanics aren't fixing your bike for fun you as an owner are paying for that equipment.
TLDR; Engineered to the point of unreliability.

·
Registered
2009 HD superglide FXD.
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't overlook something like a Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe or other similar Honda or Suzuki bikes. Well, unless you just have to have a Harley. What was your concern with Victory? I wouldn't have a problem with a Cross Country Tourer. That's a solid reliable bike.

oh no, im looking at all i can. they still have that africa twin at the harley dealer, im still very intrested in the super tenere to. Im on a DR 650 now. Its fine around town and on rarm roads for me, but i really dont like it on the highway. Not that it wont do it, just that i feel very exposed out there on it. Sounds dumb, but thats the best i can explain it.

·
Registered
2009 HD superglide FXD.
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Having worked on bikes, if you don't do your own work and love doing it, do not get a Harley. I'm from Milwaukee, don't care for some of their bikes, would love to own others, but man they're a lot of work to maintain. Oil changes cost $300 for good reason, there's a lot of preventative maintenance the dealer should be doing (get a printed report). Plus the special tools and seals needed to do most anything, even change the oil. And the timing chain tensioner replacement at 15K they don't tell you about. And bearings, my god, could they please use better bearings? For the price of the bike... And that navigation system, beautiful, easy to control from the grip, but what a turd as far as getting a route set up. The grips and controls are awesome though, great fairings and incredible comfort.
TLDR; Yesterday's technology at tomorrow's prices.

Polaris is mainly Chinese parts assembled in the US, and support and warranty are worthless unless your dealer fights for you. I've seen things in high vibration areas be made from pot metal (white metal casting) and catastrophically fail spectacularly. The art department there is awesome, and so is engineering--they're masters at cutting manufacturing costs.
TLDR; Chinese Space Jam.

Although BMW hasn't been mentioned yet, as long as I'm talking about maintenance... They're awesome bikes the first four years of ownership. Then the electronics and other systems can start to fail. Working on them can require highly expensive BMW diagnostic equipment, and since mechanics aren't fixing your bike for fun you as an owner are paying for that equipment.
TLDR; Engineered to the point of unreliability.

You just explained my issue with HD! thank you. I dont mind doing the work, but they are costly bikes. One thing i can say though, was the dyna i had was an extreamly forgiving bike. Maintenance was easy, but getting parts was a oain at times, and they are always expencive. For me the worst was dealing with Harley people. Like lasr night i went to Kemah for a beer and some food. I went to park and a bunch of bandito wannabe RUBS huffed and puffed because i dared park near their Taiwan made american bikes. blah.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I looked at getting a Flathead from S&S (I think S&S stopped making them since then) and Jim's transmission for the longest time, shoving it into a custom frame and building the rest up, but for the $35,000 it would cost I could buy a new 2020 or later Goldwing (the 2021 is awesome). Both would be reliable bikes, but the upsized S&S would be good to about 55 MPH when loaded for touring with a passenger, maybe 65 MPH, which is reasonable. However, a stereo or modern anything would be an abomination on a throwback bike, and on long rides NAV, stereo, cruise control, etc. are nice. Sure, I could hide a 12V-to-USB block and use a phone with earbuds....dang it, now ya got me thinkin' again I wanna build one! (I'll just blame you for that...)

So I can put a lot of work into a one-off bike--which would be a showstopper, or plunk down the same pile of cash and have a 2021 Goldwing in the garage tomorrow. If I keep speeds on the S&S under 55 MPH it should last 200K before a rebuild, on the Honda I'd have to keep it under 95. When cleaning the Honda would require more wax though... :unsure:

·
Registered
9 Posts
So, since the dyna got stolen im on my dualsport. I really like the bike, a DR 650. I like that bike the way it is, my only issue with it is that i dont like is riding on the highway, or over the ship channel on it. The wind beats it up pretty good. I have been looking at bikes. The super tenere is one i have been on allot, i really like riding that thing. I have also looked at some Harleys and a cuple victories. I will pass on the victorey bikes though. And I had issues with the harley to. parts are expencive, and in my area the only harley mechanic i can use is a massive turd. But i am checking out a road king. im kind of leaning towards that or the super tenere i think. while it was a bummer the bike got stolen, its real nice getting out looking. I also thought about buying a bunch of farkles for the DR, but i really cant think of any i want or need.
I would not rule out the Victory,as they are great trouble free bikes.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Just a suggestion, it's a bike I've never had, but always kind of liked it. A Yamaha V Max. I don't know if they're still making them. My brother had one back in the 90's and it was a beast.

Add a windshield, saddlebags or whatever you need for your purposes, but one thing you'll really need, throttle control.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Which Honda (Africa Twin?) has DCT option? I can hear it now...:rolleyes:o_O:cautious::LOL::eek:...thats ok...:censored:
Put a "hunnert" miles or so on one...then decide.;)

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,375 Posts
Just a suggestion, it's a bike I've never had, but always kind of liked it. A Yamaha V Max. I don't know if they're still making them. My brother had one back in the 90's and it was a beast.

Add a windshield, saddlebags or whatever you need for your purposes, but one thing you'll really need, throttle control.

I second that notion, I worked on more than a few of the Vmax, and loved them when I test rode them.. verry nice torque curv's(y)

(Where did that guy and his post for the free money for his dads vmax go? he dident stay long):ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
Buells, Hardley, Suzuki, Beemer, and a big Katoom
147 Posts
I have a DR650 in my stable as well. Aftermarket seat, and a small windshield and you are good to go ;)
I used to have a Super Tenere, it was a great, all around, do it all bike. The shaft drive was great, the engine is like a tractor, and I had literally zero problems in 56,000 miles of ownership. Like your Dyna, someone wanted it more, and stole it one night. My desire for more HP, and lighter weight led me to the KTM 1290R.
I've not looked back since. I do miss the Tenere, but love the power of the KTM.
I have a few other bikes in the stable, one is an FXDX, while it's a great bike, it won't win any speed, or handling awards. Ever since I got it, I've been afraid of the cam chain tensioners grenading on me, but they've been fine every time I've checked them. If I had it to do again, I would get an 80" Evo. IMO they were the best design HD had, and very reliable as well.
I loved my FXR, and really regret selling it...

·
Registered
2009 HD superglide FXD.
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Suzuki V-Strom 1050 XT is one helluva nice bike as well, similar to the Super Tenere. :)
nice bikes right there. Does anyone here ride a tenere 700? how are those for guys in the 6 foot 2 size bracket?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts