Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here I am up in Edmonton, Alberta. We are having a warm spell of around 5 dgrees C. I'm watching the packed down ice on the road start to glisten and melt in the warm(ish) sunlight. And a thought occurs to me... hey, if I can get my bike out of my subdivision and onto the road, I could totally take it for a quick rip. That'll scratch that itch.
Then common sense hits me and I decide to just walk down to the garage just to make sure my bikes are still there, sit on them, and make *vvvVVRROOOMMMmmm* noises while leaning into an imaginary corner.

So... you riders in Canada, and in the states that get winter... what do you do to scratch the riders itch? And I'm not talking about the itch on yer butt you get from riding to long without a break. (lol)

funny-meanwhile-at-the-US-Canada-border.jpg

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
I tend to shift into other hobbies for the off-season. The end of riding season coincides with the beginning of hunting seasons. In the winter I play some hockey and do some snow hiking.

I read touring magazines and books, watch motorcycle movies and documentaries, and dig out the maps to do some couch touring.

The itch to ride starts in late January, and really kicks off after the Minneapolis IMS show in early February. Then until the weather breaks is the toughest part, but it's only a few months...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the idea of couch touring. Planning future rides is a great way to scratch the itch.
We just had our Motorcycle show in Edmonton last week, and you're right, the itch really kicks off.
For the most part, I like to surround myself with things related to my hobby.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
I like to spend time looking at areas and places to ride to. I've planned a few trips...now if things work out this year we will take a couple of them. I also spend more time on the Forum. We have some really interesting people around here and I've learned a lot from them.

·
7,494 Posts
I tend to spend an inordinate amount of time on inane Motorcycle forums, casting my pearls of wisdom before the uninitiated as a public service.

For the Motorcycle itch, I use Baby powder.

Sam:biggrin:

·
American Legion Rider
21,203 Posts
For the Motorcycle itch, I use Baby powder.
Preparation H for the more serious out there.:D

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
Dollar store branded Gold Bond is cheaper and has more medication than Anti Monkey Butt, I personally like corn starch powder.:biggrin:

I used to ride snowmobiles during the winter months, but unfortunately I don't have them anymore. I seem to find it difficult to find time that I can just sit and relax anymore, when I do I like to get on here to scratch a little.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
Winter is our favorite time of the year and our busiest recreation season. My wife and I go cross country skiing, fat tire bicycling and snowmobiling. And we take our grandkids snowshoeing and sledding.:)
Heres a pic near our house in Wisconsin.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I like the idea of couch touring. Planning future rides is a great way to scratch the itch.
Amen here in Texas we get some days that are in the 70 and 80 if they are on the week end we ride. Mean while in the days we can't that is when I do things on my bike getting it ready for riding season.
Hang in spring is not far away :71baldboy:

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have been mounting a sidecar to my Harley so I can take the hound riding with me next summer. Just finished mounting it today and will do the alignment tomorrow. It is forecast to be just above freezing Monday and Tuesday so I plan to take it out and make donuts in the snow! :71baldboy:

·
On The Road Again!
3,270 Posts
I absolutely HATE being cold!
I don't do anything outdoors that I don't have to at this time of year.
Snowmobiling? Skiing?? Hiking??? Yeah, right.
....and those guys who sit on a bucket fishing through a hole in the ice are NUTS!!!
I'll stay here by the woodstove where it's nice and warm.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Spend even MORE time on the internet on various motorcycle and gun forums; spend MORE time reading the 8 or 9 motorcycle magazines that I subscribe to (I keep thinking I should cut back, since they mostly address the same new bikes, new products etc.) and think about one day each winter when I go to the International Motorcycle Show. I promised myself I would get into reloading as a way to fill the winter months while also saving money, but after buying the equipment and some supplies I have yet to even try to figure out what I am supposed to do. And finally, I sit at the PC and use Mapquest or other similar websites and do some planning for long motorcycle rides as well as (for this coming spring) a very long road trip by car with my wife and new puppy (about 7,000 miles total.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,843 Posts
To old to toughen up :) that is for you young pups

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Here in good ol' Quebec we legally have to run winter tires from Dec 15th to March 15th, so even if it's warm and sunny and well above freezing in a warm spell, you can't take your bike on the street.

Anyhow, I am going crazy to get back on my bike after only getting to enjoy it for just under a couple of months before putting it away. I am keeping myself busy by cleaning off the years of storage off her, cleaning and polishing bits and pieces (spent one Saturday just cleaning the grime off the wheels and whitewalls), updating the lighting system and cleaning up the wiring, getting the hard saddle bags repaired and repainted and adding lights to them, and adding new bits of chrome here and there. Might even change the seats and going to have a go at the clutch in a couple of weeks.

When my wife starts poking her head in the garage and giving me that look (the one that says get the hell out of the garage and do some real work) I continue my home reno projects... currently finishing the trim in the basement and getting ready to put in the bar.

Dan

·
Registered
140 Posts
If the roads are dry, I take the bike out! The days are rare but if that's all I get, I'll take it, no questions asked! Sometimes I watch my vids from my helmet cam. Right now I'm trying to figure out the best way to load stuff on the bike for longer camping trips. Make a list, load it on the bike...(too much stuff) Change the list, load it up again...hmm...don't like it...top case or no top case? It's taking some time but it's getting there:)

·
Premium Member
7,644 Posts
Load

I have two saddle bags, one top box and one tank bag. Also a large waterproof sailing gear bag, that sits on the rear of the seat. For larger loads, I remove the top box and put another large waterproof self made bag across the back, where the box used to be. Then another bag can go on top of the bottom two. The tank bag expands, which is really slick. I also have an expanding bag, this one from the bike store, that works well. I use that on the bike that I stole the rear box from.

Before the stores started selling tank bags, we used a duffel bag and set it on the tank. Easily stays between the arms, and is good to rest on if using low bars.

Unkle Crusty*

1 - 20 of 49 Posts