Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
learning as we go
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting on the rear. The previous owner had the hack installed by Hannigan. They also installed a steer lite, heavy spring. I am still considering front tire choices? My main concern here is effect to steering?( I am disabled due to a low back injury) Restricted twisting and bending after multiple fusions. I have found riding the Hack is very different than any type of two wheel riding I've ever done. While there is A LOT more upper body ,shoulder and arm movement / strength required. What I find is it all comes down to sitting in the saddle. Fatigue will break this saddle seal. lol Excessive front tire ware and early replacement may be the price I have to pay? over longevity of components and inability to ride for a enjoyable length of time. I already make frequent stops and adjust riding style to compensate. It seems what I find is several prefer to run a rear motorcycle tire up front, some reverse direction some do not.
I'm still researching this subject? Any input, comments or questions would be appreciated. I can almost guarantee I don't know the answers! However I look forward to finding them.

Ok so what I've decided on is a 175-55-17 on the stock BMW wheel. I understand from reading others post about this configuration there may be a need for 2-6mm spacer's, They also used longer wheel studs 50-60mm.
I've not decide on tire brand or tread pattern. I am strongly considering a all season tread pattern and would like to find something readily accessible (ie; name brand)
I will be installing a Hyperpro rear suspension. I plan on calling to see if they have a recommendation for my application?

Something I have noticed is a lack of riding style being talked about. In the threads and articles I've read there was one referral to traveling gravel verses pavement and this was talking about tread wear. I find several of life's virtues on back roads. The pace is slower off the beaten path. I find time to stop and talk with people at small town country stores/mercantile where I fill up with fuel and grab a sweet tea. Taking the time to stretch and shake off the effects of the road. The Hack draws several peoples attention. I also find people recall and share many of their life's adventures. (no matter how they may differ from riding) Adventure is the goal no matter the choice or type of conveyance.
We are planning a trip to the Tucson AZ area soon. Then back out to OR. We have some rock hound friends in AZ and have been talking about prospecting in the desert. (MAN that sure sounds fun to me) I know the kids will enjoy it. I can see over loading the rig with "implements of destruction" (to quote Arlo Guthrie) smiling kid's and riding down some dusty dry wash of a trail. Or hey remember that time squirrel/rabbit hunting. OOOOOh fresh Morrel mushrooms! Yeah and the big fish that didn't get away.
My point is tire, shock and other component selection should include your own style of adventure. Cost is always a factor. I try to research and find the best (not always the most expensive) I find myself more times than not settling some where in the middle, usually due to price constraints. You buy the best you can afford and adjust your adventure to physical and mechanical abilities.

Thanks Pa Pa's Hack

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
There is a darkside forum and members will recommend what tire, brand and size, they use on their bike and what air pressure that person finds works best for them. Just have to see if your bike is listed on that forum.

For the front tire, if yours, for example, is a 130/70-16 you look for a 130/70-16 rear tire. Both are the same size but the tire made for the rear will have deeper tread on it and should fit under your front fender.

The all season tread pattern does seem to be popular with the darksiders as well as the run flat tires.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,543 Posts
RG did you go dark side on your Yammie?

·
learning as we go
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The front tire replacement? Do you run the rear tire directional or reverse direction? have you noticed any significant steering difference? I would assume more so at slow speed?
Thanks Pa Pa's Hack

1 - 5 of 5 Posts