Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was a disaster... it was literally a script you would use for a straight-to-DVD comedy. It started in the morning with my bike turning over a few slow times and then the battery dying without the bike starting. The battery was old as I found out later in the day, boosted it, got to work, bike died at work, wouldn't even come CLOSE to turning over. Had a series of disasters at work, had to pay a fortune for a new battery that I could get within walking distance, tore my pants, and later the neighbor called me for something that broke at the house during the day. Disaster... anyhow, finally got to installed the battery and snapped a terminal connector on the bike. Had to then hunt around the office for wire strippers or some kind of knife. By the time I left work I was tired, boiling warm from working on the bike in the parking garage right next to the heater, starving, and very cranky. Get the battery in, temp fixed the busted wire and go get my things in my office.

Come back downstairs, get suited up and leave... get to the parking gate arm to leave the garage, it goes up and as I start to move forward it immediately drives back down between me and the windshield, smacks my chest and as I start to bend it forward, it decide to go back up, smashing me in the chin, peeling the chin strap up and rips the helmet off my head, sending it spinning 20 feet away. I held the clutch to stop the bike from jutting forward and caught it as it fell over, saving any damage. I back the bike back in the garage, put in N, get off the bike and in absolute fury walk towards the arm with every intention of tearing it clean off the box housing when the security guy just happened to be there and saw it all. Instead of killing the garage arm, I switch course and retrieve my helmet and go back to my bike.

They were very good about it though, he was 100% concerned with me and the bike and I told him I was tired and losing my **** and I needed to just go home and would let him know what was busted in the morning.

Came in this morning and they had already opened a full investigation report, the entire building admin was aware and had reviewed (and probably chuckled) at the incident and it was clearly a gate malfunction. No damage to the bike but they were more than happy to pay for a new helmet to replace the one that was ragdolled by the psychotic gate arm.

Needless to say, by the time I got home, I barricaded the doors and windows and huddled under the covers until Tuesday rolled around.

F*** Monday.

Dan

·
Registered
304 Posts
You saying there is even more thing we need to be aware of when riding now? Glad you made it through the day and under the covers. Honestly sometimes that's all you can do.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Sounds like a great movie. Sounds like a really horrible day. I think I'd have opened a bottle and then slept thru today. I'm sure they would have believed you if you called in with a head ache. ;)

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please, please, PLEASE check and see if a security camera got it on video!
Oh yes, and I have a copy of it in glorious HD. My brother almost had a heart attack from laughing so hard.

The answer to the next question is no.

LOL!!

Dan

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heheh well I don't know that security was supposed to give me a copy and I don't want to post footage of my work building... we have pretty high security concerns so I don't want to get anyone (including myself) in trouble ;)

C

·
0 Posts
Glad to hear you're ok. Most parking gates have a pin that breaks to keep the gate from breaking and minimize damage to the vehicle. If you had keeped going, that pin would have snapped. And no, security should not have giving you a copy, someones job is on the line for sure if anyone finds out.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
They admitted it was the fault of the gate, they can give the video because there is no legal action taken and they are willingly paying for damage. Besides, who wouldn't want the video if it happened to them?

C

·
0 Posts
They admitted it was the fault of the gate, they can give the video because there is no legal action taken and they are willingly paying for damage. Besides, who wouldn't want the video if it happened to them?
There could have been legal action after the video was recieved, so I am surprised they gave it too you. Security personal are not allowed to release any video of anything unless approved. That tells me they either trust you tremendously or security is lax, one of the two. :)

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the good wishes guys, and yes thankfully nothing broken except my helmet... went and bought a new one today, went with some subtle 4 horsemen graphics on there in a dark silver on black, the kid in me said YES!

There could have been legal action after the video was recieved, so I am surprised they gave it too you. Security personal are not allowed to release any video of anything unless approved. That tells me they either trust you tremendously or security is lax, one of the two. :)
A little of each... I'm a director in the company so I have some sway I suppose, the security team are all good friends of mine and definitely trust me and finally, it was cleared (albeit after the fact) by the VP in charge of the security systems and such. So all good :) But still, they gave it to me to show to a few folks and my brother, not to post all over the web. If it was some random garage, I would have definitely posted it lol

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh and I can happily report that I was able to make it out of the garage today without getting swept out of the saddle... 3 cheers for the working gate arm!

·
Premium Member
6,525 Posts
Chuckle

I started laughing when you said the arm came back up and got you under the chin. Sorry.
We do not have those sorts of things on the Island.
No street lights or traffic lights either.

But I am going to the big city soon, and was planning on going through a parking gate like that.

Unkle Crusty

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I started laughing when you said the arm came back up and got you under the chin. Sorry.
We do not have those sorts of things on the Island.
No street lights or traffic lights either.

But I am going to the big city soon, and was planning on going through a parking gate like that.

Unkle Crusty
Hahah yep the arm came back up as I was bending it forward against my chest for a split second and it suddenly went back up... the arm caught the chin strap, pulled it over my chin and just took the helmet right off. Thank goodness I wasn't wearing my half helmet (it's cold here now so I switched to the full) otherwise I would have got the arm right in the jaw and damaged my pretty face lol! :icon_cool:

·
Premium Member
6,525 Posts
Language

Hahah yep the arm came back up as I was bending it forward against my chest for a split second and it suddenly went back up... the arm caught the chin strap, pulled it over my chin and just took the helmet right off. Thank goodness I wasn't wearing my half helmet (it's cold here now so I switched to the full) otherwise I would have got the arm right in the jaw and damaged my pretty face lol! :icon_cool:
I just thought of something.
Did you swear in both official languages? We just do it in English out here on the Left Coast.
I had a bilingual CB400 many years ago. Bought it off a French kid who was out here, and got home sick for his girlfriend and things.

Unkle Crusty

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just thought of something.
Did you swear in both official languages? We just do it in English out here on the Left Coast.
I had a bilingual CB400 many years ago. Bought it off a French kid who was out here, and got home sick for his girlfriend and things.

Unkle Crusty
I believe it was mostly English, however some of the choice words would work in French as well :) As for my Vstar, she seems to be like my ex wife... speaks in cash. :mad:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts