Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
"Young Grasshopper"
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive been riding for about 3 months now and im not ready to stop, if you guys have any gear or technique suggestions for riding in snow ill appreciate it, im riding a trail 90 and I usually don't bush it over 45 but ill hit 50 sometimes.

·
Premium Member
7,608 Posts
Snow

Ride on the side of the road, the area that has not been driven on. If there is gravel under the snow, that is better than pavement. Especially if the pavement has been driven on.
Riding on ice is possible. Balance can be better when standing. But a CT90 does not lend itself to standing, due to the lower seat.
You will fall over. And when you do, if on the pavement, you will slide further than you thought. Slow down.

Unkle Crusty*

·
American Legion Rider
21,140 Posts
Yep, what Crusty said. Fresh snow is much better than packed snow. Don't panic and "suggest" the direction you want to go. Don't try to force things. Take your time.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,798 Posts
Were are you going to find snow in the desert? it is a lot like riding in loose sand but slicker

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
If I HAD to ride in the snow, I'd sure want to do it on a bike with knobby tires, I can tell ya THAT!!

I don't think my Cruiser tires would do as well.

Go easy.........avoid traffic if you can...........stay warm and dry and keep your whits about you.

-Soupy

·
Registered
27 Posts
Be confidence. Go easy and focus on your target. Stay cool and confidential. Don't forget to pack the necessary things which will makes you help. You can also get advise from your friend who has done it before. Go easily and ride safe.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
My son and I used to ride our MX bikes in the snow, I just threw on a ski mask under my full-face, a pair of 40 below coveralls, a couple pair of socks and some thick gloves. It's a hoot.
I don't think I'd ride on the street though.

·
American Legion Rider
21,140 Posts
I've only done it on fresh stuff and only when I had to or go 150 miles around it. It isn't much different than a car really. If you start to slide you pull the clutch in and steer toward the slide...gently. Everything is done very carefully. I did it two up. The extra weight was probably a good thing. I found that leaning was not good though. It's the only time I've actually steered a bike. Braking was just the rear and again very careful.

With a dirt bike and nobbies I would think it would be a hoot though. But yes snow on street with street tires isn't much fun. My wife asked me several times if we was sliding. I said I'll tell you when we get out of this stuff. Yep, we was. That slush is slick stuff and this was that fresh. I had to do it again one other time but it was all frozen. Was still fresh but had been in the 20's for days so the street was froze too. Sliding wasn't as bad but stopping still took much further. You just have to think way in front of where you are. I had guts(stupidity) back then. Today I think I'd take the 150 mile round trip.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Ride on the side of the road, the area that has not been driven on. If there is gravel under the snow, that is better than pavement. Especially if the pavement has been driven on.
Riding on ice is possible. Balance can be better when standing. But a CT90 does not lend itself to standing, due to the lower seat.
You will fall over. And when you do, if on the pavement, you will slide further than you thought. Slow down.

Unkle Crusty*
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with the first part of this advice.

You are a 14 yr old unlicensed rider. Stay off the roads!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts