Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2002 Yamaha v star 1100 classic and just noticed smoking coming from where my exhaust pipe connects to my engine. It smells like burning oil. I hope it's not a blown head gasket. I figured I would try asking before I paid to have it looked at in case it was just a seal. I took out one of the bolts and there's black liquid which looks like oil around it. When I put it back in and started the bike, there was a popping noise coming from both of them and smoking. Please help, if you need more info just let me know and I will provide to the best of my ability.

Attachments

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
That sounds like an oil leak. The best way to trace it is to clean the area very well and try and see where the source is. It could be something simple.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like it's coming from where the pipes meet the engine where the two bolts are.. I hope it's simple. My buddy is going to take a look at it tomorrow so hopefully with his knowledge and seeing it in person can figure it out

·
FTW ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌
1,691 Posts
From looking at your picture it looks like that bolt that has some rust on it needs to be tighten as the exhaust pipe looks like it has to come back more. Couldn't tell you if it is a gasket problem or exhaust gasket problem. But i would suggest tightening up that bolt where that gap doesn't look like it should be like that.

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure your head pipe became loose and that is the problem. The bottom bolt also has a gap, but smaller. Tighten those 2 head pipe bolts and I think you might of fixed the problem. Those gaps should not be like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts