Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Honda CL125a, 1988 Honda VT1100 Shadow
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help correcting oil burning 67 Honda CL125a. Engine compression 135 both sides, new +.25 pistons/rings, cylinder cross hatched, valves rebuilt seals etc, valves ground. only 1,150 miles and only apx 75 miles after rebuild. Runs like new but smokes like a 2 cycle. Any help would be

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,905 Posts
When you put the rings in, did you offset them?

Reactions: Porky

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,829 Posts
I remember some MFG, like Subaru motor vehicle factories having done this in the past, when a tech on the engine assembly line, lined all of the end gaps up on the pistons! It causes massive 'Blow by,' serious loss of compression, fuel diluting going directly into the crankcase and lots of visible smoke!

Worn or missing valve stem seals and/ or loose worn valve guides cause this problem also. They are cheap and should always be replaced when valves, guides and headwork is accomplished.

Sam:)

·
Registered
1967 Honda CL125a, 1988 Honda VT1100 Shadow
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys, as you might guess the 125 scrambler doesn’t get ridden a lot, but of late I’ve tried to get it out more and put about 100 miles on it in March so maybe a total of 175 or so since rebuild. It would seem the riding has resulted in the blue smoke exhaust stoping. A delayed break in period, mechanical miracle, I don’t know but I’m going to consider this a fix for now. Thanks for your support.

·
American Legion Rider Staff Administrator
27,442 Posts
Not for sale but I’d have to think hard on an offer equal to what I’m in to it for, apx $4K
Watch out there. Some fool just might take you up on that figure. That's one nice machine you got there. (y) (y) (y)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,905 Posts
I can just see someone with a bad case of OCD just having to keep the gaps lined up perfectly.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

First engine I ever rebuilt in 63 I didn't offset one set of rings. That is why I asked. I did have to tear it down and rebuild it again.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,829 Posts
Sactly my Friend, just set it on a pedestal and admire it periodically!

Everything is SMALL for my frame---wait a minute, don't take that wrong!:rolleyes:

Sam

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.