25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks! Here goes:

2003 Suzuki GZ250
393 original miles
new spark plug, clean air filter, oil changed
adjusted chain tension

Background:
Purchased from second owner. Judging from the title, the original owner put about 385 miles on it. Second owner put 8 miles on it. Sold it to us a week ago. We couldn't resist when we got her home. Took her for a quick spin up and down the street a few times. Nothing major; probably not even a mile total. Next day did the maintenance mentioned above and took her for a spin around town.

Problem:
This cycle will start up flawlessly, even after a few days of not being cranked. Open up the choke and away she goes. She smokes for the first thirty seconds or so after starting. You can let her idle and ride her anywhere you want to go AS LONG AS SHE DOESN'T SHUT DOWN. When she does, there's no starting her again til a few hours later.

She also only runs with the choke fully open. Try to take the choke off and she shuts down (and won't start again for a at least a few hours). Tonight I drained all the gas out except for about a quarter gallon, put some Gumout in, cranked her up, and let her idle for about five minutes. I smelled some oil and could swear the oil level had dropped since a few days ago (now it's just barely within the proper range).

Anyway, I was fooling around with the choke and she shut down, not surprisingly. And that's about where I am right now.

Any tips from the mechanical gurus? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
131 Posts
yYou need to clean the carb(s) thoroughly before considering anything else. Dismantle and clean all parts thoroughly with gumout - spray it through the jets.

Note the position of any adjustment screws before removal. Turn any screws fully in (gently) and note the number of turns, then remove.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Okay. Broke down the carb and sprayed through every hole. Also the float bowl height was a tad off so adjusted it. Not a lot of corrosion or debris. Looked pretty clean. But I'm going to have to jump it off from the car battery because I killed it trying to start it. I'll have the car back on Sunday and post the results then.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK mechanical gurus! Update. Help me out please!

So the carb is fully cleaned and float adjusted and reassembled. I also removed the fuel valve from the tank and made sure it was clear. Checked the hoses to make sure none of them was clogged. Ensured a tight seal around carb at intake and output.

I was able to get her cranked and running. Took her for a spin around the block. Pulled her back into my driveway and played around with the idle speed. I figured out that the choke problem was due to idle speed misadjustment. I bumped up the idle speed enough so that when I turn the choke off it runs normally and smoothly. So THAT problem is fixed.

BUT, the starting problem still remains. I shut her down (with the choke off) and started her up five seconds later (with the choke off) with no probs. So I thought I'd push my luck and shut her down for two full minutes, and guess what? No dice getting her cranked again. I tried several times with the choke off. Then turned the choke on a bit. The all the way. Tried full throttle. Then for kicks I decided to try a push start. With every attempt (cranking and push starting) she seems SO close to starting but just never quite catches. I'll bet twenty bucks I can go out there tomorrow morning and she'll crank right up. Just don't let her shut down unless you want to wait another eight hours to crank again!

Help! :confused:

·
Registered
219 Posts
i would have suggested cleaning/replacing your starter until i saw you have less than 1k miles... you could still pull it off and clean the brushes, but i'm not sure it will help. ususally 20k is the dirty brush mark.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, for kicks I did remove the starter and cleaned it all the way around with a pencil eraser. It was pretty dirty. Anyway, I reassembled it and put it back on the bike but now the starter turns but won't turn the engine over. Guess I'll post another thread for that particular problem and keep this one open for the starting when hot problem. Will update both threads as solutions come.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK I'm working on the starter in another thread but I'm coming back to this thread to give an update.

I've ruled out the starter as the problem because push starting it won't crank it when it's hot either. In other words, push starting it cranks it when it's cold just like the starter would. But then when I ride it a bit and it gets hot and shuts down, push starting it doesn't work either. So it does the same thing with or without using the starter.

I've also broken down and fully cleaned the carburetor and have run a high concentration of fuel cleaner through the system. Problem remains. Bike starts without a hitch when it's cold. No cranking it for several hours if it shuts down. Suggestions? Keep 'em coming please! Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts