Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

Registered
If these self balancing self driving scooters are real, or potentially soon will be, I wonder if they fight the rider in cornering if the computer has a hiccup or if they turn that balancing feature off once the bike is really rolling?馃ズ馃o_O Just wondering. But then they announced this Honda bike in 2017 and I've yet to see one on the streets. Will BMW make it to market before Honda? Or will Yamaha?

Self balancing bike

5 self balancing bikes

Seems rather risky to me but then I thought the same with ABS brakes and they have certainly helped keep riders safer. You would think by now there might be a release of these bikes unless there is that potential of computer error holding them back.
I guess, it'll prevent balancing issues for newbs when setting-off (especially with bigger/heavier bikes). i.e. prevent something like this:

Swamp Rat Rider
I can't stand this crap. Some engineer sits around and comes up with garbage that no one ever asked for. Our cars are filled with it. l'm not interested.

That is for sure .. Is very difficult to even buy a Vehicle with a standard transmission and if you do you get penalized for it .. Did some shopping looking for back up vehicle and even used vehicles with a standard were selling for higher prices than a comparable automatic even though an automatic cost more to build one reason bought this old Cop Car with a 4 speed Automatic that is very simple to work on .. The design of many of the new do everything itself Vehicles are overpriced and very expensive to repair ..

Visionary
I guess, it'll prevent balancing issues for newbs when setting-off (especially with bigger/heavier bikes). i.e. prevent something like this:

Why do I supsect that guy was lucky he dropped it right there and didn't get it moving....

Premium Member
I could be wrong but don't you mean electric power steering as opposed to hydraulic power steering, that was the industry standard in the beginning.
Wot you said.
My Saturn had electric power steering. That removes an hydraulic pump, which helps with fuel economy. UK

On The Road Again!
A friend of mine has a Subaru in which the steering wheel has no mechanical connection to the front wheels of the car.
NO THANKS!

Nightfly
A friend of mine has a Subaru in which the steering wheel has no mechanical connection to the front wheels of the car.
NO THANKS!
If I recall correctly, I believe that the US government requires a mechanical linkage in place. Power steering shifts to electric - CNET
I think full drive-by-wire systems are limited to racing applications at the moment.
I could be wrong. This is just what I recall. t's my understanding it's a direct connection to the wheels as well, the motor is there to make it feel lighter as far as steering input.

Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
Both my wife and my new vehicles have electric power steering. It takes a little getting used to it. My Sportage has a 2 turn lock to lock.

American Legion Rider
Discussion Starter #31
Both my wife and my new vehicles have electric power steering. It takes a little getting used to it. My Sportage has a 2 turn lock to lock.
Does this mean you have to get used to not over steering? Not having such or ever driven such, I'm not sure if 2 turns is under or over steer potential.

Visionary
Does this mean you have to get used to not over steering? Not having such or ever driven such, I'm not sure if 2 turns is under or over steer potential.
My 2018 Subaru has VERY sensitive steering, when I first got it I was almost concerned how twitchy it was until I got used to it.

Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
with the wheels pointed straight ahead one full turn of the steering wheel will take it to full lock. As Mike said it can be a little twitchy until you get used to it. It also adjusts depending on speed so it is constantly changing the ratio. Easy to get used to after a few miles.

American Legion Rider
Discussion Starter #34
Easy to get used to after a few miles.
I鈥檓 not sure an old tractor driver that takes 4 acres to turn could get used to it.

Attachments

Premium Member
My 59 Plymouth Fury had a good power steering system, and crappy tires. At around 80, it would go straight ahead, no matter what you did with the steering wheel.
A question to Mike Hailwood from the press about the handling of the early Honda race bikes.
" Like a pregnant cow in quicksand " was his answer. UK

Visionary
No, actually it works quite well after a 10-20 minute adjustment period for the driver to get used to the way the steering works. It feels great on the highway and easy to maneuver slowly. It's just a bit different from what the average driver is used to.

Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
My old Yukon, while hydraulic on power steering has the variable assist power steering. It takes getting used too every time I drive it after driving my truck. It's too easy steering if you ask me.

Registered
No, actually it works quite well after a 10-20 minute adjustment period for the driver to get used to the way the steering works. It feels great on the highway and easy to maneuver slowly. It's just a bit different from what the average driver is used to.
Variable ratio according to speed means lots of electronics and complex mechanisms involved where should be just an axis and two levers and maybe some hydraulic aid... this is an example of over engineering for no reason and planned obsolescence that comes with it. I could argue that it is also dangerous but it's not my business. I just could never buy something like that.

On The Road Again!
My 59 Plymouth Fury had a good power steering system, and crappy tires. At around 80, it would go straight ahead, no matter what you did with the steering wheel.
The first car I got any appreciable driving experience on was a 58 Plymouth.
Smooth easy power steering!

21 - 40 of 55 Posts