Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

American Legion Rider
Discussion Starter #1
If these self balancing self driving scooters are real, or potentially soon will be, I wonder if they fight the rider in cornering if the computer has a hiccup or if they turn that balancing feature off once the bike is really rolling?馃ズ馃o_O Just wondering. But then they announced this Honda bike in 2017 and I've yet to see one on the streets. Will BMW make it to market before Honda? Or will Yamaha?

Self balancing bike

5 self balancing bikes

Seems rather risky to me but then I thought the same with ABS brakes and they have certainly helped keep riders safer. You would think by now there might be a release of these bikes unless there is that potential of computer error holding them back.

Ban Hammer, Try Me.
2009 Ninja 500r
I just made a comment to my wife last night about technology and how happy I was about that Ninja 500r I just got. It is 10 years newer, than the Blackbird and has Zero gizmos. I don't like ABS, I don't like the extra stuff to break. I have never went down because I lost balance, or skidded off the road because my brakes locked up, only went down because I was a noob or inexperienced or worse was not paying attention. Try to take a hairpin turn at 60 mph, most skill levels will lowside. Try to turn in gravel too fast does not matter how balanced the bike is, it may stay up right off the road into the rhubarbs. Just my 2 cents.

Registered
I know that there have been other solutions to low speed movement for some motorcycles, such as the "landing gear" solution or the low speed locking of the two front wheels on the Tilting Motors conversion. But self balancing for two wheels is a intriguing concept as long as it automatically turns off at a specified speed of say 3 or 4 mph. Like any other technology there is always the risk of it going bad, which I guess could happen now with ABS which is becoming pretty standard on motorcycles. But I would buy a self balancing motorcycle in a heartbeat as long as it still let me ride it as I am used to riding.

Registered
A piece of once new technology has been proven safe and useful, therefore all new technology is safe and useful by definition.

Other:
A conspiracy theory has been proven irrational, unprovable and stupid, therefore there are no conspiracies.

I know that I taking it too far, but I fight this kind for reasoning for sport. My experience and my esthetics (if you like) are telling me that this is going to be a failure

American Legion Rider
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it sure hasn鈥檛 made it to market so I鈥檓 guessing there must be some problems they just can鈥檛 work out. Too bad because there are a bunch of old farts like me that might jump at a bike with this kind of technology provided it was sound. So I wonder where they are with this concept?

Registered
My guess is that it is one of two issues: cost, or standing up to the vibration and jolting of a moving motorcycle. Maybe both.

Registered
Each to their own. Those crazy engineers, always fiddling around with what works. Who needs an electric starter? The crank in the front of a car worked just fine, and a kick starter was perfectly fine for motorcycles. And boy, do we miss those carbs; who needed electronic fuel injection? Part of the excitement of riding a motorcycle was grabbing a bit too much front brake and finding ourselves sliding down the asphalt, but now that is gone due to that pesky ABS system. A long stretch on a highway was great for building up the muscles in our right arm, keeping that tension on the throttle for hour after hour. But those damn engineers screwed that all up by giving us cruise control. Oh for the good old days of single speed motorcycles without brakes and where you could finish your ride nicely covered in oil and road grime.

Reactions: Stablefull

Registered
Cars are done and over
bikes are holding, they are still repairable
Tell them that they making a mistake by not buying this thing

Cult

Premium Member
The Duetz mobile. Cool. The exposed valve gear may leak some oil on the back tyre. For not very much $$, there are two stroke 100cc bikes available. UK

Registered
Oh goody. Please explain the point to a practical thinker. UK
The problem with that bike is not that it may leak some oil from the valves since it is as quirky and dangerous to ride as can be, with all that exposed belts and flywheels and the worst power to weight ratio ever. Yet you are looking at a machine repairable to an unlimited degree that can go on like that indefinitely.

Of Course factories could make such reliable and repairable machines today if they wanted. Yet in the name of the environment they making garbage with fixed expiry dates and totally unrepairable, so you have to buy a new one in the time that they set, filling the world with garbage in the process. In the name of the environment they consuming an unbelievable amount of energy and resources to manufacture a product for you every now and then, to do the job you could do for a lifetime with a single product.

This is hypocrisy, that's why I eat so much meat and burn so much diesel for no reason, I turn green when I hear the word ''green''. I will leave behind me a carbon footprint thick enough to remember me. haha this turned out a rant xD

On The Road Again!
I don't need a smart motorcycle.
I'm smart enough as it is.

There is NO WAY I'd ride a bike with that crap on it!
Friend of mine has a Subaru car where the steering wheel has
no physical connection to the front wheels. Fly-by-wire steering!
Not just no, but HELL NO!!!

Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
I don't need a smart motorcycle.
I'm smart enough as it is.

There is NO WAY I'd ride a bike with that crap on it!
Friend of mine has a Subaru car where the steering wheel has
no physical connection to the front wheels. Fly-by-wire steering!
Not just no, but HELL NO!!!
LOL, both my wife's and my new cars have electric steering.

Reactions: FlipFlop

Registered
Do you think the controls on commercial aircraft are mechanically connected to the rudder and flaps? Ride by wire is reality.

Reactions: mike721

Registered
Each to their own. Those crazy engineers, always fiddling around with what works. Who needs an electric starter? The crank in the front of a car worked just fine, and a kick starter was perfectly fine for motorcycles. And boy, do we miss those carbs; who needed electronic fuel injection? Part of the excitement of riding a motorcycle was grabbing a bit too much front brake and finding ourselves sliding down the asphalt, but now that is gone due to that pesky ABS system. A long stretch on a highway was great for building up the muscles in our right arm, keeping that tension on the throttle for hour after hour. But those damn engineers screwed that all up by giving us cruise control. Oh for the good old days of single speed motorcycles without brakes and where you could finish your ride nicely covered in oil and road grime.
Where's the laugh emoji? ;)

All the things you mentioned were great inventions. That being said, I don't need a car that can drive itself or a steering wheel that straightens itself out. We are on the way to a society where people are not allowed to drive because auto-driving cars will be deemed safer. I just hope we don't get there until I'm gone. I'm sure my kids will love it.

Visionary
Do you think the controls on commercial aircraft are mechanically connected to the rudder and flaps? Ride by wire is reality.
What controls? :)
You mean the little video game joystick connected to the computer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 55 Posts