Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm pretty much brand new to the biking world and have been doing a ton of research. I have recently turned 18 and am therefore finally able to get a license and bike. I am 5'5" and about 120lbs. I know it is suggested that beginners don't start out with a sport bike but it is really what I want. After that though I have truly no idea how to go about finding a lighter, easy-to-handle sport bike. Ever other forum I've found geared toward smaller riders has been about more traditional bikes. Any help and advice would be appreciated, even if it is directing me to another thread. Thanks!

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Have you taken the BRC? If not I highly recommend it. I recommend you take it before you buy a bike. The class will help you know that you really do want to ride. Around here they have 3 or 4 different styles of bikes to use in the course.

Are you looking at the Ninja's? The best thing to do is visit lots of dealers and sit on lots of bikes, different sizes, styles, brands, new and used. That will help you to know what really feels comfy and about what weight range you really want.

Good Luck in your search. Remember, have fun while you are searching and don't just settle for the 1st bike you see.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I thought I had a tough search with my 29 inch inseam. I can't imagine being 4 or 5 inches shorter and trying to find a sport style bike to fit me. Enjoy the search, you might as well.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Welcome to the forum! My wife took the BRC they had Honda CBR 125‘s that were quite small & good starter bikes.

You can sometimes cut the stuffing out of seats to make it lower.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm planning on taking the BRC once I'm at school in the fall because there are a bunch of available places right near my college campus. Hopefully that will help a lot!

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm planning on taking the BRC once I'm at school in the fall because there are a bunch of available places right near my college campus. Hopefully that will help a lot!

Just make sure you are studying the material that you are GOING to "College" for!! Dad and Mom aren't paying all that money so you can take the BRC!!

-Soupy

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Top Ten Bikes for Vertically-Challenged Riders

http://www.motorcycle.com/top10/ten-bikes-for-short-people.html

I suggest you start with a Honda Rebel that allows you to flat-foot it at lights. Once you have a year of riding experience THEN move to the 300 Ninja or whatever spot bike it is you want that puts you on tippy-toes at lights.

How do you think I know this? A year from now you will tell me I was right, whether you listened or not.

p.s. Here's a REAL Spot bike, not just one with Dalmatian spots on the sidecar.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Spot Bike Riding Apparel

Have you considered a pair of these for riding your Spot bike?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts