Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a small cc bike 250-400 that can handle large lean angles up to 60 degrees. Unfortunately most of the smaller ones start hitting hard parts around 55 or even earlier and manufacturers never tell the exact number. There's a go kart track right next to where I live and I crashed twice due to dragging parts on the floor.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Pegs on modern sport bikes (and most bikes AFAIK) are mounted on hinges, to bend up when touching down, to provide an additional few degrees of lean.

If you crashed in a hard lean, I doubt it was the peg touching that brought you down, more likely you were past the point of adhesion for the tires/conditions at the track you were on.

Before spending thousands on a new bike, maybe take some classes to work on body position and shifting weight on the bike in turns - the reason racers lean so far off is it shifts their weight to the inside, so for any given turn radius the bike is not leaned as far as if they were sitting straight on top of their seats (obviously high level racers have lean angles maxed along with this body positioning).

·
Registered
859 Posts
You dont need a new bike. There are likely two things you can do. One is buy different rearsets for your motorcycle. The aftermarket ones are narrower and higher so you dont hit the peg as early. The other thing you can do is get a longer, or adjustable height shock. Most of the high end manufacturers make height adjustable shocks, now. If you lift the rear of the bike the pegs get farther from the ground and your lean angle is increased.

You might be hitting a lean angle roadblock with tires, though. What size are you using? Usually the smaller sizes dont quite have the same aggressive curve with near vertical sides like the big enormous Superbike tires do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Automotive tire Bicycle part Bicycle chain Tire Rim

I have racing footpegs installed that have never touched the floor. The problem is my kickstand and exhaust. This is my kickstand on the left side. As you can see ca 5mm have been shaved off due to the asphalt. I have similar markings on my exhaust on the right side.
Vehicle Speedometer Plant Motor vehicle Automotive mirror

Also very recently I managed to scrape it on public road. I captured the moment on video, I was lucky to not lowside into the guardrail. Judging by the roof of that house I was only leaning 53 degrees. I'm really done with this motorcycle. Yes I should not be pushing it like that on public roads but then again, the tires grip was more than sufficient and I felt confident.

Tires always stick when up to temperature. Only lowsided once due to hard braking in a turn. I run supercorsa 110 on the front and rosso 2 140 on the rear.

·
Registered
859 Posts
View attachment 69923
I have racing footpegs installed that have never touched the floor. The problem is my kickstand and exhaust. This is my kickstand on the left side. As you can see ca 5mm have been shaved off due to the asphalt. I have similar markings on my exhaust on the right side.
View attachment 69925
Also very recently I managed to scrape it on public road. I captured the moment on video, I was lucky to not lowside into the guardrail. Judging by the roof of that house I was only leaning 53 degrees. I'm really done with this motorcycle. Yes I should not be pushing it like that on public roads but then again, the tires grip was more than sufficient and I felt confident.

Tires always stick when up to temperature. Only lowsided once due to hard braking in a turn. I run supercorsa 110 on the front and rosso 2 140 on the rear.

Then you can get a smaller muffler and remove the kickstand (or I suppose you'd have to cut the mounting tab if thats whats hitting), then just use a swingarm stand at the track.

·
On The Road Again!
4,100 Posts
If you are leaning that far, you should buy really soft sticky racing tires, not street tires.

·
Ace Tuner
3,320 Posts
The latest 600's are where the manufacturers concentrate on the best race ready equipment these days.
If you are too fast for whatever bike you have... You got to step up to something better, like one of the 600's.

S F

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
.... Unfortunately most of the smaller ones start hitting hard parts around 55 or even earlier and manufacturers never tell the exact number. ...
That's because it depends on how heavy the rider is and how compressed your springs are. A lean angle spec would mean nothing because they would measure that with no rider on board and when it's not moving.

... Race bikes don't have side stands, take that off and upgrade the bikes suspension.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Then you can get a smaller muffler and remove the kickstand (or I suppose you'd have to cut the mounting tab if thats whats hitting), then just use a swingarm stand at the track.
Cutting the mounting tab would be cutting bits off the frame making it illegal in switzerland. This is a ninja 250, it's a piece of junk. Also no available exhausts that are actually smaller and that are street legal. My mechanic said I can only upgrade the front suspension. Perhaps a Yamaha r3 will allow me to do these modifications? I don't want a 600cc for the twisties and the go kart track.

I'm 65kg which is fairly light. Cannot take of the sidestand as mounting tab would still be in the way.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,432 Posts
Lear to shift your weight better. Get more of your weight on the inside side of the turn and you don't have to lean the bike as far.

Reactions: EngineCollector

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,375 Posts
I'm still finding the entirety of the name of the post conflicting,

Small..... street legal....... race bike.

Where is a racing world would these two exist int he same bike without it being a custom modded bike?

Race bikes generally are not small, race bikes generally are not street legal, if its an actual race bike.

I dont see finding these combinations, unless you buy an already modded bike or do it your self..

Good luck OP

·
Registered
859 Posts

Where is a racing world would these two exist int he same bike without it being a custom modded bike?

Race bikes generally are not small, race bikes generally are not street legal, if its an actual race bike.

I dont see finding these combinations, unless you buy an already modded bike or do it your self..

Good luck OP
I think they made a lot of small displacement supersports in the 80s and 90s and sold them in places like Europe and Japan. 250cc and 400cc race classes were really popular. We just never got them in the US, or maybe we got some but nobody bought them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Good luck OP
What I mean is a super sport bike with enough lean angle clearance to be used at a race track (60 degrees). I go to a small go-kart track with top speeds around 120kmh and pushing a >400cc bike on the street is suicide or murder or both. I am trying to go for a used bike, if that's not going to work out I'll buy a new one and have the dealer help me out, or go for a supermoto.

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,375 Posts
What I mean is a super sport bike with enough lean angle clearance to be used at a race track (60 degrees). I go to a small go-kart track with top speeds around 120kmh and pushing a >400cc bike on the street is suicide or murder or both. I am trying to go for a used bike, if that's not going to work out I'll buy a new one and have the dealer help me out, or go for a supermoto.
Supermoto would be the way to go, as its typically a slimer bike, this alone will allow the increased lean angles your looking for. Plus the pegs are generally mounted higher up.

·
Ace Tuner
3,320 Posts
Of course the Yamaha FZR400 is dated but it sounds like that is the type you're looking for. The Yamaha R3 might work for you???
A Supermoto probably would too.

and pushing a >400cc bike on the street is suicide or murder or both.
I do not understand. Why?

S F

·
Registered
310 Posts
Of course the Yamaha FZR400 is dated but it sounds like that is the type you're looking for. The Yamaha R3 might work for you???
A Supermoto probably would too.

I do not understand. Why?

S F
Probably means some furniture might get in the way and possibly with someone sitting in it. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts