Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
Anything 50 cc up to 450 cc dirt , Streeters from 150 cc scooter up to Honda Shadow . In stock ..
1,141 Posts
When I look at your picture in the opening post, all I can think of is "nope". Getting most of the way off the bike while it's moving just doesn't make sense to me. Sort of like jumping out of a perfectly functioning airplane while it's flying along. Maybe I'm just old. I do spend time practicing figure 8s and circles and u-turns and quick stops in a parking lot, just to build the muscle memory and skills, but aside from shifting my weight and experimenting with different lean angles, my rear stays planted in the seat.
Which brings to mind something I've thought about when practicing. I found that I have a tendency to keep my torso upright when leaning the bike into turns, which means Bike has to do more of the leaning. It takes some thinking to shift my torso over to counter balance so Bike stays more upright and has more lean angle in reserve.
Does anyone else struggle with that? I'm thinking it might be because I spent a lot of time on horseback when I was young, and it was just natural to pivot at the hips and stay upright when the horse was moving around.
Try using a lightweight dirt bike for those skills . Much easier , safer ,, also cheaper ....,

· Registered
Anything 50 cc up to 450 cc dirt , Streeters from 150 cc scooter up to Honda Shadow . In stock ..
1,141 Posts
Hmm. I don't happen to own a lightweight dirt bike. Nor do I have the disposable income to go out and buy another bike, or anywhere to ride a dirt bike in the manner to which it would be accustomed.
Bike and I get along just fine, and at 450 lbs with a low center of gravity he does fine on the drills. The big difference is relearning the throttle curve now that both carbs are breathing. So more drills are on the agenda as soon as we can go out again. I put crash bars on and stiff leather saddle bags, so my hope is if I do manage to spin us down practicing in the parking lot, there might be some scratches but he won't land on any controls or snap off a blinker.
But we won't be out for a while, just now there's 2' drifts, 20 degrees, and a 25 mph wind.
And you use that an an excuse ??? LOL...,

· Registered
1,141 Posts
EZ to control ? I thought we were trying to sharpen our skills ...., maybe we have different thoughts ...., control in dirt certainly more difficult , but it sharpens skills and boosts confidence ... , Just my thinking ?? ,...

· Registered
1,141 Posts
Lots of fun , with kids , Drunk bikers , Had them regularly at the race track .... Scooters against harleys , sportbikes against MX'rs ... All the combos ....,

· Registered
1,141 Posts
Most of our tracks here in South Texas have a $ 10.00 cooler fee .. We sold beer at ours , but that was 10 years ago .....And a pain in the sss ....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts