Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<This question applies to my husband's 07 GSXR, but I think it's generic to any sportbike>;)

We ordered an M4 slip on (which is a two into one slip on). He really just wants the noise/sound, not too loud, but more audible; the look is nice too but secondary. He doesn't care about getting additional hp as he is not a pro racer, and has "more than enough power" for street riding. :eek:

Anyway, he priced out getting a Power Commander, mapping, dyno tune, and doing some kind of removal of some limiter (not sure what it's called right now) plus installing the slipon. Kinda pricey.

Does he really have to do the whole PC/dyno tune route? Will it hurt the bike just to change out the stock exhaust for the slip on? I've heard it might make the bike run too rich or too lean.. any thoughts? :confused:

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
I think you are referring to a rev-limiter...When you change pipes it can affect the fuel/air ratio and thus have your bike run too lean, or too rich....I would say go ahead and get the power commander and dyno-tune it...I know he is not interested in the extra HP but having your bike properly tuned is something you would want anyway....Plus with the power commander it is a whole lot easier to remap your fuel/air mixture, no dealing with carbs and the like...IMO I would do it, you will be happier with your bike running great in the long run.

·
Banned
1,269 Posts
when i bought my fizzy, the previous owner had only added a slip on so that he would be more noticeable (he is a harley rider, and believes the whole loud pipes myth.) from what i gather, it doesnt really make a huge difference other than the fact that the bike will allow more exhaust flow.
imo if your hubby wants to maximize the benefit of the slip on, then he should get the pc, and maybe look into a gixxer forum to see if anyone else has mapped their bike for the same pipe. but if he doesnt change the air filter(k&n or similar) i wouldnt think there is a need for all the dyno/pc stuff.
but this is coming from someone whos bike is carbureted.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Hey teach, doesn't your husband have a GSXR-1000? I thought those were fuel injected, not carbed...If I'm wrong, then disregard, but if it is FI, then I don't think a slip on would make too much of a difference. The ECU should be able to adjust for it a little bit...

·
Banned
239 Posts
You could find a map for that pipe on-line. Just download it and take it to your tuner. Removal of the electronic speed limiter is accomplished with a TRE Timing Retard Eliminator (very inexpensive). Personally, I try to wring every last hp from a bike short of doing engine work (lightening, chain/sprocket conversion, PC with map, etc.). With a decent map, you can achieve a fairly smooth power curve. Gixxer.com is my forum of choice. There's a lot of info there that you won't find here.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes Sir Gilbert, it is fuel injected...

Thanks Sbkal08; I actually visit gsxr.com, didn't know there was a gixxer.com I will check it out.

·
track junkie
797 Posts
nah, you don't need a pc3 if you're just adding a slip on. shouldn't make that much of a difference in the flow characteristics of the exhaust system.

you can download a map from the power commander site for free, that has most of the major bikes, paired with most of the major exhausts and various states of modification. so, really if you wanted to go the pc3 route, you wouldn't need a custom tune.

for now, i'd get the slip on and skip the PC3. if he finds that the bike has developed a flat spot in the powerband, or isn't running quite right, i'd then add a pc3.

also, install the slip on at home! no need to pay some guy too much money to do a very simple install!

·
Banned
239 Posts
nah, you don't need a pc3 if you're just adding a slip on. shouldn't make that much of a difference in the flow characteristics of the exhaust system.

you can download a map from the power commander site for free, that has most of the major bikes, paired with most of the major exhausts and various states of modification. so, really if you wanted to go the pc3 route, you wouldn't need a custom tune.

for now, i'd get the slip on and skip the PC3. if he finds that the bike has developed a flat spot in the powerband, or isn't running quite right, i'd then add a pc3.

also, install the slip on at home! no need to pay some guy too much money to do a very simple install!
I guarantee that you're not going to get the full benefit from an aftermarket can (even if it is a slip-on) without a proper fuel delivery map. Aftermarket cans are free flowing exhausts. There will be a significant change in the flow characteristics of the exhaust system. Have you ever seen the inside of a stock canister or an aftermarket unit? As further evidence, all one has to do is look at various dyno results (from different bike/exhaust combinations) and note the before and after readouts. If you're riding a bike without a PC then you probably aren't missing what you never had...

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

Well you are right badmonkey.. he installed an M-4 himself and is very happy with the results! it looks nice and has a good sound. Thanks everyone for your feedback....like I said, he doesn't want/need more power for street riding. Appreciate saving $$!! ;)

sbkal, I know you are right about getting more performance with the map/PC3. Like I said, with the 1000, he isnt' riding it to its max potential anyway on the street...and besides, I am riding with him on a 600 so why leave me further in the dust?? :p j/k he always waits for me to catch up if he gets ahead of me:cool:

·
Registered
47 Posts
When I got my slip on i didnt tune it right away.I had noticed a flat spot inthe higher rpm range.So I got it tune and no more flat spot.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you get a power commander, or just tune it?

·
track junkie
797 Posts
I guarantee that you're not going to get the full benefit from an aftermarket can (even if it is a slip-on) without a proper fuel delivery map. Aftermarket cans are free flowing exhausts. There will be a significant change in the flow characteristics of the exhaust system. Have you ever seen the inside of a stock canister or an aftermarket unit? As further evidence, all one has to do is look at various dyno results (from different bike/exhaust combinations) and note the before and after readouts. If you're riding a bike without a PC then you probably aren't missing what you never had...
hmm i never saw this post, but better late than never.

if it was a full exh, a remap would be important, but since most of the frictional losses in the flow are in the piping and bends, simply replacing the muffler only frees up the exhaust flow so much. It depends on the bike, of course, but most slip ons are good for a couple of horsepower w/ a tune--is it worth 600 for a couple of hp? depends on who you are, and your priorities, i suppose.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts