Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I bought a running SL125 last fall. I rode it for a couple of months, then the weather got nasty so I stopped for a couple of months. When I went to start it again after sitting, it initially started fine, after a few minutes the throttle started sticking wide open. When it does, I can move the throttle back and forth, but there's no springiness to it.

I've cleaned and lubed the cable and tried adjusting it. It seems like it's the throttle valve in the carb that's sticking all the way up. When I took the cable out, the spring still had a lot of spring to it. Is this just a dirty carb or is there something else going on here?

Thanks for the help!
Grady

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
It's probably just dried fuel making the slide stick; you should be able to drip some carb cleaner down alongside it, and get it free. Sometimes, you have to pull the slide all the way out and polish it with cleaner and a soft cloth, and do the same with the empty cylinder with something like a Q-tip. If you didn't treat the gas for storage, you may want to add some fuel system cleaner to the gas, to wash down the inside of the tank, lines, and carb.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts