Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

my Name is will, and I'm pretty new to the forum, been a lurker for awhile but am pulling my hair out at the moment and was wondering if anyone could help or point me in the correct direction.

I recently pulled a 1974 Honda SL125 out of my shed that had been stored for 17 years. it was in a pretty sorry state so decided to restore it. I put a 150cc barrel and piston on the bottom end, rebuilt the head (reground valves seats and checked all parts for wear) replaced the coil, condenser and all new points.

I have set the points and the valve timing as per the Honda workshop manual and the bike started. it ran for about 5 minutes and cut out but since then i have been unable to get the bike started at all, not so much as a pop or bang out of her.

Since then i have rechecked the points timing, valve timing and tappet clearance. I have also compression tested the engine and this seems fine also. I have a strong spark and a damp plug after trying to kick her but nothing i do seems to help.

I was hoping someone would be able to point me in the right direction or tell me i have missed something because at the moment i am questioning my own sanity, :frown:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also should mention it's had a new pattern carb with 40 slow jet and a 105 main as the original had been ultrasonically cleaned and was still blocked, Thanks in advance

·
Registered
328 Posts
Had an identical situation, coincidentally also with a 1974 bike that had been sitting for decades. I'll venture a guess at dirty fuel. 5 minutes is just long enough for the gunk in the tank to break loose and get in your jets. I'm sure you cleaned the tank, and so did I, but it was not enough. I could be wrong, but it's easy enough to drop the float bowl and give her a look-see. I was also getting wet plugs, but the fuel was coming out of the jet in globs, not a nice mist.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts