Motorcycle Forum banner

Skyline Drive

4K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Critter 
#1 ·
Planning our Spring motorcycle trip next year and we'll be riding the length of the Blue Ridge Parkway (North to South). Is it worth going further north and riding Skyline Drive as well. It would add maybe 5 hours to the trip, cost $25 a person. Is it worth the time and money to ride this? I'm not sure my bike can ride 105 miles at 35 MPH.

#2 ·
I avoid the fee by going up later in the evening!

Positive side is that it has some stunning views during the day and, if it isn't peak viewing season, you can usually move along a bit above the speed limit. The downside is that there are often people traveling well under that limit. You take your chances...

#4 ·
I drove the Skyline once when it was virtually deserted, and it was a beautiful trip. Another time, there was heavy traffic, and the fun factor slipped considerably. But, the same can be said of the BRP. They are both best ridden before or after the peak season, which begins, I would say, in June and ends whenever all the fall leaves are off the trees. The worst time of all, unfortunately, is the peak of the leaf season. If you want to enjoy the fall color without the hassle, look at secondary routes near to, and going in essentially the same direction as, these parkways.

#5 ·
Thinking about it since my last post, is it worth it after riding the entire length of the BRP? Probably not as you will just be seeing different valleys. Any other time sure it is a great ride.

#7 ·
I'd be doing the Skyline Drive first:

Here is the proposed itenirary:
1st day - Ride from Raleigh to the northern end of Skyline and travel down to Waynesboro, VA.
2nd day - Waynesboro south to West Jefferson (milepost 262).
3rd day - West Jefferson to Cherokee
4th day - Heading home.

I chose to do north to south because there seems to be more things to do on the southern part of the parkway (Mount Mitchell, maybe a detour down 226A and back up 80). The thought was to not race to get it done, but enjoy the ride and stop and enjoy some spots along the way. I'd love to hear any suggestions of what to see and do on the Virginia side of the BRP as well. Also doing the trip in April/May time frame to avoid the bumper to bumper traffic of leaf changing season.

#9 ·
So north to south hmmmm. When I did basically the same trip a few years ago I chose to start at the top of the BRP and skip Skyline. Why because I have done Skyline many many times. I can't help you with what to do or see in the VA section as I rode it in a torrential downpour to the NC line.

If you have the time what is another 200 miles (100 up to Front Royal and then back) :) go for it, if you don't you may regret it later.

Reactions: dilbertrob
#10 ·
Your plan sounds pretty close to mine. That's when I am shooting to do the BRP, Lord willing. Spring is as good to me as Fall, as long as it stays above freezing. In the higher elevations in NC, temporary road closures occur fairly often through April some years, usually because of either snowfall or iced road conditions. Even then, the closed stretches are usually short, and if you need to move on there'll be a decent detour.

#12 ·
I rode both last year, started at the bottom of the BRP and finished up after Skyline. The BRP has better scenery in spots but both are great rides, if I had to choose on a return trip I’d pick the southern end of the BRP but for the first time ride it all, it’s a great ride and you can say you rode the whole thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Nice bike, Critter.
But I have to say something about the photo you use in your signature.
Unless I look at it real close, it's hard to tell what it is.
At a quick glance, it looks like two bikes and a car had a hell of a crash. LOL!!
Maybe you need a better signature photo that isn't so "busy". LOL!!
That photo of you and the bike by the BRP sign would be a good one!
Just my two cents, Critter. LOL!!!

#16 ·
I had never looked at it that way Off, it was just most of my toys in one place. Boat and truck wouldn't fit in the picture :(
I will have to work on a new signature picture just for you :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.