Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
learning as we go
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So is this the place to discuss all things sidecar?
I tried a forum search. Found several mentioning sidecar but nothing specifically about them.
My father rode through out his life not always but usually he had a bike of some sort. I started quite young bought my first bike ( 80cc ) at about 8yrs old. Through out life I have had several makes and types.
The cruisers gained my interest early on. The Goldwing's we've owned were our favorites.
I suffered a back injury that required spinal fusion's and left me with permanent bone, muscle and nerve damage.
Well I wanted to ride! I bought a nice BMW 07 apx 28k 1 owner k1200lt. The previous owners wife had back problems. He made some mods to help her ride including the eventual addition of a Hannigan sidecar. Sadly she is no longer able to ride.
So until the test ride I had NEVER!!!!!! done anything other than admire a side hack rig. So apx 3k miles latter with 1200 of that being a trip from the Oregon coast to Denver Colorado, I got some ideas and questions.

Thanks PaPa's hack.

Attachments

·
American Legion Rider
23,553 Posts
Moved to newly created sidecar forum.

Reactions: Pa Pa's Hack

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hmmmm... while trikes generally leave me cold, I'v often wondered about a sidecar... never knew anyone who had one or ridden one, but I could see one if the circumstances were right... that one looks pretty good...

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Years ago I found a sidecar I really liked. Think it was called a Terraplane(?)? Thought it would look good on the side of my Goldwing. It was used, and looked good to me but by the time I scraped up enough cash to make an offer, someone else had already got it.

·
learning as we go
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I look forward to sharing the experience.
We're not small people (lol) Ok I'm not a small guy, there that's better. We don't have to get into specific's but at 300lb and a little over 6 feet I'm quite a load. (what kinda load is irrelevant at this point) lol. So 2, 3 or yes even 4 (almost everybody wants to ride) lol. All smaller than my self. I'm thinking I (NEED) to upgrade the shock. ??????
I've heard some running car tires instead of cycle tire's? There is some info about this but mostly the adaptation not much discussion and very little info after the fact?
The other mods I have in mind seem to be pretty straight forward. Arm rest for the rear passenger, floorboards in place of the standard pegs, heel to toe rocker shifter may be a bit difficult? There are some tuning options available? I need to look into that a bit more. Backrest for the driver? I'm looking for something that removes or folds? I can't just swing my leg into the saddle anymore. (huh imagine that I wonder what the ???? happened) I mean it used to work just fine.

Thanks Pa Pa's Hack

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Took a second look at your rig, er, hack. That does look good.

Going double darkside on a bike with a sidecar would be a good idea, I'd think. Don't know how often your tires wear out, but more tread on the front with a rear mc tire, and a car tire on the rear with deeper tread, just seems like a win win to me. But never having owned a sidecar, I may be putting my ignorance on display. :)

·
American Legion Rider
23,553 Posts
I think you are going to fit in fine with with that post. Made me smile. I know what you mean about not being able to swing a leg over. I’m getting tired of grabbing my jeans cuff. At least with a hack you can step on the floorboards or add them if you don’t have them. That’s a ton better. My wife’s Spyder makes mounting so much easier. I think you will have the same thing with a hack.

·
American Legion Rider
23,553 Posts
Brag why don’t ya.

·
learning as we go
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it's time for the 30,000 mile check up on the BMW. As most, money is always a concern. My thinking here is to change the rear tire to a car tire and install the heaviest rear shock I can find/afford. I mean there's no since in undressing the bike twice is there? The tires are in very good condition and I'm not about waste. Maybe I could post it for resale? (not sure what the used tire market is like) lol
Planning a trip to Tucson AZ area latter this month. Then back out to Oregon sometime in December. I'm not sure if I'll service the bike in AZ or OR. Either way I would like to have the parts and plan ready.
I will be trailering the bike, (I know I know) and using it for a get about at our destinations. The wife and I were talking about a prospecting trip into the desert? We have some rock hound friends down there and I think the kids would like that. I know I would.
Maybe change that tire after the prospecting trip huh. lol

Thanks Pa Pa's Hack

·
American Legion Rider
23,553 Posts
Just watch out for rattlesnakes. My personal opinion is car tire is the way to go. Where depends on what is convenient.

·
learning as we go
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where the air smelt like snakes we'd shoot with our pistols but empty pop bottles was all we would kill. (John Prine, Paradise)

Good reason to take Henry and Ruger along. How am I gonna OH wait I can put them in the Hack this "is" gonna be fun!

Thanks Pa Pa's Hack

·
American Legion Rider
23,553 Posts
You got the right buddies to take along. Have fun. I’ve spent days playing in the desert around Tombstone. My ex-mother-in-law used to live there. Now she has her own tombstone.

·
Registered
775 Posts
If I was looking for expertise and info on side car rigs in the USA, I'd be seeking out my friendly neighborhood URAL owner, and/or dealer. As the only maker still in the business of building dedicated bike/sidecar rigs, URAL is the last man standing in what was once a substantial market segment. Henry Ford ruined that market, and it was a dark day for motorcycle manufacturers in general, when he priced his model T below the cost of Harley Davidson Twin in the 1920s.

Have a look at this URAL demonstration team as they change their sidecar wheel, WHILE traveling, among other tricks.

I wonder if they can fly the chair while motoring in reverse? That's a real honest reverse gear, not some trick with a starter motor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If I was looking for expertise and info on side car rigs in the USA, I'd be seeking out my friendly neighborhood URAL owner, and/or dealer. As the only maker still in the business of building dedicated bike/sidecar rigs, URAL is the last man standing in what was once a substantial market segment. Henry Ford ruined that market, and it was a dark day for motorcycle manufacturers in general, when he priced his model T below the cost of Harley Davidson Twin in the 1920s.

Have a look at this URAL demonstration team as they change their sidecar wheel, WHILE traveling, among other tricks.

I wonder if they can fly the chair while motoring in reverse? That's a real honest reverse gear, not some trick with a starter motor.
Both Harley & Indian have factory built sidecars.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Both Harley & Indian have factory built sidecars.
Are you sure? I've read that Harley suspended manufacturing sidecars in 2010 or 2011. I am aware of various makers that make rigs compatible with Harleys including:
Classic Sidecars – Product Types – Hannigan Motorsports
Texas Sidecars for motorcycles and scooters – Texas Sidecars for motorcycles and scooters
Champion Trikes & Sidecars

I think it's DMC that makes the rigs sold for Indians: DMC Sidecars, Sidecars, Trikes, Hitches | DMC Sidecars

They may be factory built, but I don't think the factories are owned by HD or Polaris.

·
American Legion Rider
23,553 Posts
They may be factory built, but I don't think the factories are owned by HD or Polaris.
I believe that's true. I'm considering hacking my Roadmaster and DMC is what I'm looking at.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts