Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching and couldn't find what I was looking for so here goes.
I'm going to repaint my '80 Suzuki and need to know the best way to prep the side covers and tail for paint. there's also a few light gouges to sand out and patch over.
I'm worried about sanding these too much as they're ABS plastic . I also need to remove the old finish from one of the sidecovers as it's gotten crazed.

what's the best way to proceed?

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
http://www.krylon.com/how-to/how-to-videos/how-to-spray-paint-plastic-video/

I wish that I had found this before I tried mine. Probably the biggest trouble people generally have is fish-eye if not properly prepared. Using the correct cleaner will help this. About all you can do with the crazed paint is to wet sand it. Using stripper is a no-no on plastic parts.

All these issues seem to be covered on the written info that is under the video.

·
On The Road Again!
2,655 Posts
I heard from a painter friend of mine that the worst is trying to paint a piece that has been treated with ArmorAll or similar treatments. Apparently it contains lots of silicone which is difficult to remove and will cause serious fish eye if painted over.
Anyone more experienced care to comment on this?

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I heard from a painter friend of mine that the worst is trying to paint a piece that has been treated with ArmorAll or similar treatments. Apparently it contains lots of silicone which is difficult to remove and will cause serious fish eye if painted over.
Anyone more experienced care to comment on this?
I cannot comment directly on Armor- All,but on fisheye related to bits of oil, Rustoleum is the right stuff. I did a hasty paint job with it applied by brush to an old mower and some bits of grease stained the red paint with streaks of black. After sanding between coats all of the streaks got covered and the paint held fast with no fish eye.
i am now doing a frame paint brush applied on a bike with the engine still mounted and using degreaser. The white primer by Rustoleum stuck tight. Thinking good thoughts that the color coat will adhere as well. Early Honda frames are anything but a thing of beauty, so we are satisfied with spending a little less time on some parts of getting things done. YMMV

1 - 4 of 4 Posts